Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #1
Pentaxian

K-S1 and Manual Focus Lenses

So how does the K-S1 perform with MF lenses? Are there any quirks like the lens not stopping down or the green button not setting the shutter speed with non-conductive mount lenses? Does Optical DOF activate the exposure bars in manual mode? Or does the green button setting for Manual mode override the DOF preview setting. The recommended setting with other Pentax DSLRs is to set the green button to Tv shift in manual and TAv modes.

I use mostly MF lenses, some "A", some M42 and many times with bellows - Pentax Auto Bellows "A" (k-mount no contacts) and Pentax Auto Bellows (screwmount no contacts) or a adapted Minolta Auto Bellows III (non-conducting adapter). I'm looking to upgrade my K10D.

12-14-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus peaking is a definite must on the newer Pentax body. I use it a lot on my K-01 (1st Pentax dSLR with focus peaking). Make sure that Focus peaking is ON and use Liveview.

Also make sure that you set USING APERTURE RING to ENABLED in the camera body and the lens aperture ring is on A (automatic) if you want to use automatic aperture with your A-lenses.

This thread may further be of interest:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Hope that the comments may help.

Last edited by hcc; 12-14-2014 at 02:07 PM.
12-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The green button works like it does on other Pentax models to temporarily stop down the lens so the camera can set the shutter speed. The third spot on the on/off button is used for movie mode instead of optical preview, but you can set the green button to provide optical preview. I just figured that out so haven't used it yet.

The pentaprism viewfinder makes it easier to manually focus than with the K100, but it's a lot easier to use the back LCD screen (with focus peaking) or use a FLU card and iPad. I didn't have much problem focusing with my Viv S1 105 macro lens, but struggled with a K 24f2.8 for some reason (but then I'm having eye issues and it could be related to that, not the camera or lens).
12-14-2014, 06:11 PM   #4

+1 for focus peaking. You can focus on the A lenses at the widest aperture. The m42 lenses, you'll have to focus, then stop down the aperture to meter. Or step down to meter, open up to focus, then step down again. You can try to focus with the aperture stepped down, but it's not as accurate

12-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
The third spot on the on/off button is used for movie mode instead of optical preview, but you can set the green button to provide optical preview. I just figured that out so haven't used it yet.
Yes, on the K10D the DOF is on power switch. I'm most interested to see if the DOF preview turns on the exposure bars in manual mode. This seems to be a feature reserved for the high-end or flagship models. Having come from manual focus SLRs to the K10D I'm used to using a "needle match" system for manual metering which the exposure bars essentially are. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks!

Focus Peaking is a feature I look forward to. The K10D doesn't even have Live View let alone focus peaking. I use an old Eyepiece Magnifier M or Refconverter M for critical focusing by eye.

Since the K-S1 doesn't have an interval shooting mode has anybody tried to see if a tethering program like PK_Tether works with the K-S1? As I recall it doesn't work with the K-3, and not fully working on the K-5.

I use PK_Tether to do time-lapses with my K10D. There are wired remotes you can use for interval shooting. Does the K-S1 have a wired remote socket or is it IR only?
12-14-2014, 11:15 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Does the K-S1 have a wired remote socket or is it IR only?
IR only, like the K-m/x/r/01.

I've only done one morning 'gardening' outing with a MF Rikenon P 35-70 short zoom (de-Ricoh-pinned, of course). It was breezy and a bit too bright for LiveView, which was a bit of a challenge but focusing with the OVF and InFocus chirp did all right. I haven't played around with DoF preview yet.

12-14-2014, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

K135/2.5 on the K-S1. Focussed through the viewfinder.

And this is quite a heavy crop:

12-15-2014, 05:29 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Stunning photos, and I thought digital camera weren't supposed to handle reds all that well.

12-15-2014, 06:23 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

This sensor seems to do reds and pinks pretty well. I think I'm seeing a little (just a little) less tendency than the 16MP to "go blue" when there are blue LEDs around, but I haven't done any head-to-head comparisons.

Last edited by THoog; 12-15-2014 at 06:31 AM.
12-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Notanumber, the focus peaking implementation is the best yet. No white steady lines that are hard to pick out in bright subjects - they're flashing red! :-)

Wish my K-30 did it like this.
12-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Another great reason for matching the K-S1 with old manual lenses is that the green button is right behind the shutter release. Soooooo convenient!
12-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Looks more and more tempting. The deal breaker at the moment is lack of interval shooting. That may not be a problem if USB tethering works with something like PK_Tether. Panoguy said he was considering writing scripts/apps for interval shooting via the Flu Card. I don't have any WiFi devices (yeah, I'm a techno-dinosaur, slow adopter). Worst comes to worst I could trigger a cheap IR remote via a cheap wired remote with interval timer. Mostly just a soldering job that I can handle.

Edit: Ok, another deal breaker - the K-S1 doesn't have an AC power adapter input either. Battery can be depleted during long interval shooting.

Last edited by Not a Number; 12-16-2014 at 02:56 PM.
12-16-2014, 05:09 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Looks more and more tempting. The deal breaker at the moment is lack of interval shooting.
Then as great as the K-S1 is for anyone shooting legacy lenses, you'd best be advised to go for a K-50, or K-3 if you can extend your budget.
12-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Then as great as the K-S1 is for anyone shooting legacy lenses, you'd best be advised to go for a K-50, or K-3 if you can extend your budget.
Funny thing is, I fully intended to get a K-3 by March 2015, but these glowing reports are making me re-think that and getting a K-S1 instead, as I enjoy shooting with my legacy lenses so much.
12-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Funny thing is, I fully intended to get a K-3 by March 2015, but these glowing reports are making me re-think that and getting a K-S1 instead, as I enjoy shooting with my legacy lenses so much.
I know everyone's got different needs, Luftfluss, but buying one *instead* of a K-3 would be a Ricoh manager's nightmare.

You'd be missing out on arguably the best APS-C DSLR in the world.

Sandy Hancock's got it all worked out.

He has both.