Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
For you, my friend, the marketing folks recommend a product that already exists - the K-50.

The cashed-up hipsters the K-S1 is aimed at are not shooting in the rain. It gets their beards wet and ruins their velour jackets.
Or fashionable ladies who don't want to spoil the shoes that match their cotton/linen/demin/tweed camera body.

I think the Pentax marketing (do those two words even go together any more?) folks are as befuddled as anyone as to who the K-S1 is actually designed for.

Apparently, it was designed for me, but that's a pretty small market segment.

Full disclosure: I do have a beard, but I've never owned (or wanted) a velour jacket, and I'm too old and too pudgy to be a hipster. Before I had a WR body, I shot my K100D and K-x in rain and snow plenty of times - I was just careful.

12-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If a 25 year-old business consultant wants to look like he's fifty, ride a singlespeed bike and get into DSLR photography, who am I to question? :-D
12-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well I was interested in the S1, but you too are pushing the envelope!
Merry Christmas!!
12-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Or fashionable ladies who don't want to spoil the shoes that match their cotton/linen/demin/tweed camera body.

Apparently, it was designed for me, but that's a pretty small market segment.

Full disclosure: I do have a beard, but I've never owned (or wanted) a velour jacket, and I'm too old and too pudgy to be a hipster.
It was designed for me, too. I may not be fashionable and my shoes aren't white like my camera (do they still make white sneakers? If they do maybe I should buy a pair!), but the camera suits me. I'm also too long in the tooth to be considered hip any more (not that I was ever hip, I used to own horses and was too broke paying vet bills, etc. to be hip. I would have rather buy a new halter than a fancy pair of shoes).

If I want to shoot in the snow chances are I won't be out long and I'll take the K3 and a DA* lens out.

12-24-2014, 07:32 PM   #20

Before I had a WR body, I shot my K100D and K-x in rain and snow plenty of times - I was just careful.
I've used my film SLR in rain and snow - taking care as you say. And there are somethings called plastic bags you can put over you camera and lenses. If you want to be fancier buy a rain cape from Ewa-Marine:

ewa-marine:
01-05-2015, 04:46 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everyone is looking to CP+ for the next body (or even the format-that-shall-not-be-named); I'm not holding my breath either way. The signs and omens (aka number of months since launch and price reductions) indicate we're about due for a K-50 replacement and almost due for a K-3 replacement. IIRC, someone from Pentax said plainly that the K-S1 was not a K-50 replacement. So far, Ricoh hasn't done big announcements at the shows. If they are ready in January, they may go ahead and launch - or they may not say a word at CP+ and launch in March. To borrow from @monochrome, either way, this place will be jumping in February.
Not to pat myself on the back - what am I saying? heck yeah, to pat myself on the back - it's not a product launch, but it's January, and here's a new body (prototype, at least) that looks like a K-50 replacement:

4 New Pentax Prototypes at CES 2015 - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

That "collapsible" 18-50 f/4-5.6 lens has my attention...
01-05-2015, 05:13 PM   #22
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That "collapsible" 18-50 f/4-5.6 lens has my attention...
Apart from its compactness, why? The optical quality of the Sony equivalent seems to be nothing special: Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Lens Review

01-05-2015, 06:56 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Not even remotely the same lens equivalent, Des. Why would you compare the two and imply a negative conclusion at such an early stage?
Personally I prefer to remain positive and a little excited about new stuff from Pentax until such time as I have enough information that says otherwise.
01-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i'm going to assume that it will not be worse than the 18-55 DA-L, which may not be great, but can get very good results on the K-S1 in the right hands, with the right eye (which I don't claim to have have, but I can dream!):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1/275993-k-s1-review-list-o...ml#post3028862

The snub F35-70 is one of my favorite lenses on the K-01 and K-S1; if I could have similar IQ for 18-50mm in roughly the same size package, I'd be very happy.
01-06-2015, 04:28 AM   #25
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Not even remotely the same lens equivalent
My point is just that a lens being collapsible doesn't mean it is good. Neither of us can know yet how it will compare with the Sony.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Personally I prefer to remain positive and a little excited about new stuff from Pentax until such time as I have enough information that says otherwise.
The snub F35-70 is one of my favorite lenses on the K-01 and K-S1; if I could have similar IQ for 18-50mm in roughly the same size package, I'd be very happy.
Amen to both. The K-50 replacement looks very promising - as Todd has shown, the sensor from the K-S1 performs very well. I hope the new kit lens does justice to it, especially as many people (reviewers and consumers) seem to judge a camera by its performance with the kit lens.
01-06-2015, 04:44 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
My point is just that a lens being collapsible doesn't mean it is good..
Doubt they'd make a bad lens on purpose. Lens tech is getting better all the time. The thin 40mm collapsible they made for the K-01 launch is a testament to this, by all accounts it's a great lens.
01-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

The lens is no doubt intended as a starter lens for those who may be buying their first mid-tier kit. It's not made to be DA 18-135 or a DA* zoom. This lens is probably not intended for the seasoned Pentaxian. Wrong market. I'm going to guess that it will be at least incrementally better than the current DA 18-55 kit lens because it will take advantage of updated coatings and trickled down tech from the upper tier products. It's all good and exciting!
01-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #28
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The lens is no doubt intended as a starter lens for those who may be buying their first mid-tier kit. It's not made to be DA 18-135 or a DA* zoom. This lens is probably not intended for the seasoned Pentaxian. Wrong market. I'm going to guess that it will be at least incrementally better than the current DA 18-55 kit lens because it will take advantage of updated coatings and trickled down tech from the upper tier products. It's all good and exciting!
I think so too.. especially exciting that they are looking at the lower end of their selection and upgrading / renovating from what they had into new tech.

This means, to me, they are trying to build a healthy whole.. not just appease one small niche, but to go after a larger chunk a bit more seriously..
01-28-2015, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

20MP sensor versus 16MP sensor in blue lighting

I had suspected that the K-S1's 20MP sensor handles blue lights better than the 16MP, which tends to go a little crazy (especially with blue LEDs). Now I have some (not-very-scientific) evidence. This is based on a couple visits to the Carolinas Aviation Museum in Charlotte. They have these nice blue lights directed at the hangar walls, which the K-30 and K-5II turn into light blue splotches. You can repair some of it in post, but it's a pain.

K-30

K-5II

K-5II, from LightRoom - better, but still some issues

K-S1 - still a little too blue, but much less splotchy

K-S1, from LightRoom - much, MUCH closer to what the eye sees

01-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting! Are these jpg? If so, what were your settings for custom image? I've never much liked the bright setting and usually change any of my cameras to natural right away. I don't use jpg all that often, though I usually shoot raw+. Your first picture from the K-S1 reminds me of a picture I took of a coffee maker I had that had a blue menu screen - the bright jpg version just showed an oversaturated, blue square for it. When you looked at the raw file you could read the letters and the blue was a natural color. In any case, it's interesting to see the differences between the cameras, they all interpret it slightly differently. Being a person who loves blue, I think it's a great background for a beautiful, shiny antique airplane.