Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 11:31 PM   #31
KX5
Forum Member

Avoid Jpeg inside K-S1. Lightroom makes so much better the job until 3200 iso. Above it's really noisy and very destructive. compared with K5 sensor.

02-06-2015, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Interesting! Are these jpg? If so, what were your settings for custom image? I've never much liked the bright setting and usually change any of my cameras to natural right away. I don't use jpg all that often, though I usually shoot raw+. Your first picture from the K-S1 reminds me of a picture I took of a coffee maker I had that had a blue menu screen - the bright jpg version just showed an oversaturated, blue square for it. When you looked at the raw file you could read the letters and the blue was a natural color. In any case, it's interesting to see the differences between the cameras, they all interpret it slightly differently. Being a person who loves blue, I think it's a great background for a beautiful, shiny antique airplane.
I thought I responded to your post days ago, but apparently not.

These days I usually shoot RAW+ and only use the JPEGs for reference thumbnails / quickie uploads. The three non-LR images are from "bright" JPEGs, but when I've had "blue" issues in the past, I've mucked around with RAW and different JPEG settings on all my 16MP bodies (K-01, K-30, and K-5) and had to deal with heavily saturated blue. Even in the RAW/LR K-5II image, there are some cyan blotches that I think are due to clipping in the blue channel.
02-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I thought I responded to your post days ago, but apparently not.

These days I usually shoot RAW+ and only use the JPEGs for reference thumbnails / quickie uploads. The three non-LR images are from "bright" JPEGs, but when I've had "blue" issues in the past, I've mucked around with RAW and different JPEG settings on all my 16MP bodies (K-01, K-30, and K-5) and had to deal with heavily saturated blue. Even in the RAW/LR K-5II image, there are some cyan blotches that I think are due to clipping in the blue channel.
Thanks for the explanation. I have found the raw files much more graceful as far as the blues. And I'm glad I'm not the only person who finds them occasionally an issue.

I've been leaving the picture mode to b&w and will occasionally use the jpg because it's just what I wanted. Otherwise I've been using that as a starting point and then do the conversion myself using something else. So I'm also shooting RAW+ but mainly using the raw files and LR. I've noticed that LR's default settings do shift things, some colors can change a bit.
02-09-2015, 09:56 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Played with my Samyang 10mm this weekend, and noticed one big improvement in LiveView focusing: 10x zoom, instead of just 6x. I think I knew about it, but it didn't really register. The Sammy has such wide DoF that it can be tricky to get sharp focus - using PDAF, about half of the focus throw is in focus according to the "green hexagon and beep" method.

On the downside, the lens is a bit heavy for the grip. I need to remind myself to cradle the lens with my left hand and turn the focus ring with my thumb. Maybe a big label in the lens hood...