Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Comparison between K-30/K-50 and K-S1

All right, it's basically confirmed that I will be doing some travelling for work at the end of next month. This is the perfect excuse to spend some money on a new camera.

I'm very strongly considering the K-S1, especially if it goes on sale this coming Boxing Day.

What draws me to it is the larger file sizes, and the lack of an AA filter for sharper images. (and obviously the looks )

I'm wondering if anyone can do a comparison between the K30/K50 and the K-S1. Take a shot of the same thing just to see how much of a difference there is between the two sensors.

12-19-2014, 06:12 PM - 8 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Been there, done that, got bored, did something else. My conclusion was kind of what we already thought, that the K-S1 has more detail in good light. In poor light, it has more noise, but it's of the luminance variety, and fairly easy to clean up without loss of detail.

(click each to see my discussion, back at flickr)

K-x | K-30
K-01 | K-S1
(k-x and K-S1 scaled to match the 16MP, more or less)

ISO 100:

ISO 100 100% crop: (when viewed 1200x800)

ISO 3200:

ISO 3200 100% crop: (when viewed 1200x800)

12-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Been there, done that, got bored, did something else. My conclusion was kind of what we already thought, that the K-S1 has more detail in good light. In poor light, it has more noise, but it's of the luminance variety, and fairly easy to clean up without loss of detail.

(click each to see my discussion, back at flickr)

K-x | K-30
K-01 | K-S1
(k-x and K-S1 scaled to match the 16MP, more or less)

ISO 100:

ISO 100 100% crop: (when viewed 1200x800)

ISO 3200:

ISO 3200 100% crop: (when viewed 1200x800)

Great! Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for! Apologies if this was posted somewhere in the forums earlier.

It's great to see how much more detail the K-S1 resolves. Now its off to my spreadsheets to see how I can squeeze one of these things into le budget.
12-19-2014, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad to help. I don't think I posted it on PF previously. I finished my experiments, got ready to post, there was a flurry of "not for me so not for anybody" posts, and I decided to go take pictures instead.

12-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad to help. I don't think I posted it on PF previously. I finished my experiments, got ready to post, there was a flurry of "not for me so not for anybody" posts, and I decided to go take pictures instead.
A nice comparison. I don't have any of the other cameras, so it was interesting to see the differences. You did a great job with putting it together, I wouldn't have thought to do it that way and it is very effective.

And yes, I've been so busy taking pictures, I haven't finished enough of what I think I'll post next to get them up. I am having so much fun with all my new stuff (new camera, lenses and flash triggers).
12-20-2014, 12:15 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

there was a flurry of "not for me so not for anybody" posts
That should become a 'thing' - NFMsNFA

Last edited by monochrome; 12-20-2014 at 08:22 AM.
12-20-2014, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #7

flurry of "not for me so not for anybody" posts,
That perfectly describes the solipsistic attitude of many of the posters. It is ironic the many of the "what do owners (of K-S1) think" thread are from non-K-S1 owners who wouldn't even consider buying one.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That should become a 'thing' -NFMsNFA
Agreed.

Back to the OP's quest for knowledge consider also that the K-S1 is not weather sealed.

12-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Brilliant comparison THoog - very ingenious.

I've gained more respect for the K-S1. I stopped reading about it after the "first impressions" review referred to the LED lights, lack of weather sealing, absence of two wheels and the marketing that said it was aimed at upgraders from a smartphone.

I wonder whether the successor to the K-50 will have the 20mp sensor from the K-S1 or the 24mp from the K-3. You'd expect one or the other.

Last edited by Des; 12-23-2014 at 02:57 PM.
12-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hey Earl - if you're travelling to Asia the weather sealing capabilities of the K3 could come in handy with the humidity. Is there much of a difference in street price of the K3 vs the K-S1?
12-23-2014, 04:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richardwong Quote
Hey Earl - if you're travelling to Asia the weather sealing capabilities of the K3 could come in handy with the humidity. Is there much of a difference in street price of the K3 vs the K-S1?
Having went to Asia last year for 3 months, I'm confident that the humidity isn't really a problem, especially if the gear is being used regularly. I would be afraid of letting a lens sit unused long-term over there though.

I was intrigued by the Amazon.com price of the K-S1. Currently it's $431 USD for the body only (black), which is amazing for what you get. I don't even think that a boxing day sale will go that low. But, of course, I made the mistake of checking Craigslist this week so I ended up picking up some other items. The K-S1 dream will have to wait for a while. Which I'm okay with anyways. After reading the rumors section, it appears that Pentax might announce something this coming February, so I'm okay to sit tight and see what comes.
12-23-2014, 07:37 AM   #11
Banned

Looks like I can stay happy with my K-01!
12-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Having went to Asia last year for 3 months, I'm confident that the humidity isn't really a problem, especially if the gear is being used regularly. I would be afraid of letting a lens sit unused long-term over there though.

I was intrigued by the Amazon.com price of the K-S1. Currently it's $431 USD for the body only (black), which is amazing for what you get. I don't even think that a boxing day sale will go that low. But, of course, I made the mistake of checking Craigslist this week so I ended up picking up some other items. The K-S1 dream will have to wait for a while. Which I'm okay with anyways. After reading the rumors section, it appears that Pentax might announce something this coming February, so I'm okay to sit tight and see what comes.
I haven't gone shooting in tropical rainforests or anything, but I do live in the southeast US where the humidity stays about 90% in the summer, and I used non-WR cameras for 28 years without problems.

Everyone is looking to CP+ for the next body (or even the format-that-shall-not-be-named); I'm not holding my breath either way. The signs and omens (aka number of months since launch and price reductions) indicate we're about due for a K-50 replacement and almost due for a K-3 replacement. IIRC, someone from Pentax said plainly that the K-S1 was not a K-50 replacement. So far, Ricoh hasn't done big announcements at the shows. If they are ready in January, they may go ahead and launch - or they may not say a word at CP+ and launch in March. To borrow from @monochrome, either way, this place will be jumping in February.
12-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Looks like I can stay happy with my K-01!
That was my assessment of the group as well.
12-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I've gained more respect for the K-S1. I stopped reading about it after the "first impressions" review referred to the LED lights, lack of weather sealing, absence of two wheels and the marketing that said it was aimed at upgraders from a smartphone.
The KS1 is a good camera and I was seriously considering buying one. What stopped me was its "small" angular Grip, which I found uncomfortable and lacking in hold, and its lack of weather resistance, which, when coupled with a WR lens, is important to me in windy conditions near a sandy shore as well as preventing panic in unexpected rain.

The marketing that said it was aimed at upgraders from a smartphone was a daft thing to say, as that implicitly reduces its sales potential. Yes, its price band makes it an entry level camera. Its specification however puts it well into mid range and thus suitable for many experienced users on a lower budget who do not require WR and serious robustness. When will Pentax / Ricoh ever learn!
12-24-2014, 02:30 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LoneWolf Quote

The marketing that said it was aimed at upgraders from a smartphone was a daft thing to say, as that implicitly reduces its sales potential. Yes, its price band makes it an entry level camera. Its specification however puts it well into mid range and thus suitable for many experienced users on a lower budget who do not require WR and serious robustness. When will Pentax / Ricoh ever learn!
For you, my friend, the marketing folks recommend a product that already exists - the K-50.

The cashed-up hipsters the K-S1 is aimed at are not shooting in the rain. It gets their beards wet and ruins their velour jackets.