Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-S1 Review

Our K-S1 review is now live:

Review: Pentax K-S1 - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Enjoy!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Honestly, in that picture you have in your post Adam, that blue body with those nice limited black lenses... that thing is sexy, no doubts about it!
01-15-2015, 11:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Interestingly, most of the "cons" mentioned at the end of the review are things I don't care about anyway, so I'm quite happy to have purchased one. Price will doubtless drop further but that's always true. And I don't find the grip to be a problem, even with a 55-300 lens mounted.
01-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I think an awful lot of it comes down to "what you're used to". I shot mostly MF film SLRs from the mid 1980s well into the 2000s, so I'm used to a small grip and supporting the weight with my left hand. OTOH, I've only had DSLRs with two wheels for a couple years, and although conventional wisdom says the second wheel is a must, I find it downright annoying compared to "thumbwheel for aperture, EV+thumbwheel for shutter speed". (I realize I am a heretic.)

Last edited by THoog; 01-15-2015 at 02:47 PM.
01-16-2015, 11:56 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I thought I would miss the second wheel and the level, but it turns out the only thing I really miss is the rear IR port. I have small hands, so the small grip is no problem for me. I found my shooting technique has improved because I was always gripping the K3's large grip too tight, trying to hold the weight of the camera, where I don't have such a strangle hold on the K-S1. But I can certainly understand while some people would find it uncomfortable. Having a level made me lazy about framing my pictures, so I'm actually doing a bit better with composition and paying attention to the whole frame, while I look for lines to check how level the camera is. So for me, that's become a non-issue.

I liked the review, I thought it was pretty complete. I hope that more people will buy one once the price goes down - it's a wonderful camera for me and I hope it will be very successful. I would love to see a follow-on camera the same weight and size, with some added features in a year or 2.
01-17-2015, 12:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter

The K-S1 is a perfect foil to my K-3.

I like it so much I have sold both my K-01 and K-5 IIs this week.
01-17-2015, 03:46 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

I like it so much I have sold both my K-01 and K-5 IIs this week.
Sandy, that's heresy! Don't you know that the K-S1 is the worst camera released last year?
01-17-2015, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
it turns out the only thing I really miss is the rear IR port
Could you put a "flag" of plastic from something like a water/milk jug over the grip and sticking out to side, so that the IR signal would "conduct" to the sensor? I tried that with a K-01 once, and it worked moderately well (depends on how distant / powerful your remote is).

That's great! While the K-S1 clearly isn't for everyone, I'm glad that Pentax gives us choices. Now we just need a WR metal-bodied K-S1 'Limited' for hikers. And a K-50 successor, and K-3 successor, and a FF lineup, and a MILC lineup, and a...

01-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I completely agree. In fact, since I live is (usually) sunny SoCal, I find myself shooting with the K-S1 far more than the K3. It's so convenient to carry with a couple of limited lenses.
03-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #10
Site Supporter

One thing to aware of when using the K-S1 is to be careful with the battery/card door. When open, being spring-loaded, the door springs back to more than 90deg. If you put the camera down in the normal upright orientation, you may damage the door.