Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-S2: 100 weather seals桸eeded because of the vari-angle LCD?

The email I received from Ricoh Imaging about the K-S2 specifies that the camera has 100 weather seals throughout.

100 seals!

That's 8 more than the K-3. I suppose some of these were added for the hinge on the vari-angle display. Is this why it took so long for Pentax to come out with a camera with this feature?

—DragonLord

02-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #2

I guess so! It's smaller in every way yet has more seals. The seal diagram shows seals around the screen and the joints and stuff.

It's also interesting that's rated to 32F instead of the usual 14F for Pentax's WR cameras, though the difference is probably just an academic matter. I'm sure people (especially here!) have gone way beyond temp specs without any real problems.
02-26-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goodnight Quote
I guess so! It's smaller in every way yet has more seals. The seal diagram shows seals around the screen and the joints and stuff.

It's also interesting that's rated to 32F instead of the usual 14F for Pentax's WR cameras, though the difference is probably just an academic matter. I'm sure people (especially here!) have gone way beyond temp specs without any real problems.
It probably has to do with the LCD screen being detached from the body and allowing air circulation around both main sides thereby decreasing its resistance to low temps. The LCDs mounted directly to the body benefit from a camera body interior temperature that is higher and takes longer to change to match the ambient temperature thereby insulating one side of the LCD better than the swing out version.

My favorite Pentax promotional images are the WR seals images

The more images like this one that Pentax puts out there the better IMHO. This one really sells the WR for the kit and the LCD is wet too (although its a bit cropped for my tastes).

Last edited by Docrwm; 02-26-2015 at 06:37 PM.
02-27-2015, 05:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goodnight Quote
I'm sure people (especially here!) have gone way beyond temp specs without any real problems.

waaaay beyond: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/31970-pentax-k10d-space.html