Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 08:36 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K3 vs k2 function access buttons and customization

I am trying to get my hands around direct access controls on each of these. It seems the k3 has a more direct iso button, a button for metering, a button for AF mode, and for focus point adjustment that the k2 doesn't have? Shutter speed and aperture are controlled by front and rear dial on both, and exposure compensation looks the same on both. Neither have any dedicated empty assignable buttons. Did I miss anything or get that wrong? is there anything that can be customized on either, except maybe the two scroll wheels?

I am debating these two and after using a k-01 and now a LX100, I don't want to go back to the k-01, k-r level of control, which requires too much menu diving and button pushing. It's just much more enjoyable to shoot the LX100 now than the k-01 for that reason alone. I like the wifi and the articulating screen of the k2, but I am afraid I am right back where I am now. The function access of Cameras like the Fuji x-t1, the A7, and the higher end m43 leave me drooling over direct function control. Thoughts?

02-12-2015, 09:51 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not having any K2 experience, but, have owned a K-10 and my wife has a KX. My friends have a K50 and a K5IIS, for what that is worth.

Button for AE metering and AF points and ISO. It is easy enough to switch between ISO auto range and one ISO, and back to ISO range if you like to shoot on Av, Tv or TAv mode ( my favorite mode ).

I suggest you download the manual, the front and rear wheels are adjustable, and other features seem to be adjustable. I have not even upgraded the firmware, I understand there are benefits.

The RAW button is nice, as you can decide to shoot Jpeg by default and then press RAW for those shots you HAVE to have. I run 2 memory cards, a 64 Mb and a 16Mb, another nice feature.

Can't say I have any dislikes about the K3, my shooting experience is hugely improved over the K10, I,just get more pictures that are keepers!
02-14-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
JPT
Pentaxian

I tried out the K-S2 yesterday at CP+. Compared to the K-01 it has more controls but they are closer together than the K-01 or the K-3. The articulating screen is well implemented and should be quite useful. On the other hand, the up/down/left/right buttons are too recessed for my liking. If you take a look at the back of the camera, you can see that the left/flash button is between the slightly raised edge of the screen and the raised OK button, making it difficult to press without inadvertently pressing OK. Another difference is that video mode is on the on/off switch on the K-S2, whereas the K-3 has DOF preview on the on/off switch and a separate button to access video. Finally, the K-S2 has dual dials, but the dials themselves are smaller than the K-3.

Don't get me wrong, the K-S2 is a great little DSLR, but if handling is your priority there are enough small improvements on the K-3 to make a difference. Just looking at what you've written, I think you're be happier with the K-3 and getting the Flucard for wi-fi. Note that the K-3 LCD is quite a bit bigger than the K-S2 as well. You'd also be able to share a battery with your K-01. The only real drawback would be losing the flip screen and the added weight.

You can compare on this site.
Compare camera dimensions side by side
02-15-2015, 08:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I tried out the K-S2 yesterday at CP+. Compared to the K-01 it has more controls but they are closer together than the K-01 or the K-3. The articulating screen is well implemented and should be quite useful. On the other hand, the up/down/left/right buttons are too recessed for my liking. If you take a look at the back of the camera, you can see that the left/flash button is between the slightly raised edge of the screen and the raised OK button, making it difficult to press without inadvertently pressing OK. Another difference is that video mode is on the on/off switch on the K-S2, whereas the K-3 has DOF preview on the on/off switch and a separate button to access video. Finally, the K-S2 has dual dials, but the dials themselves are smaller than the K-3.

Don't get me wrong, the K-S2 is a great little DSLR, but if handling is your priority there are enough small improvements on the K-3 to make a difference. Just looking at what you've written, I think you're be happier with the K-3 and getting the Flucard for wi-fi. Note that the K-3 LCD is quite a bit bigger than the K-S2 as well. You'd also be able to share a battery with your K-01. The only real drawback would be losing the flip screen and the added weight.

You can compare on this site.
Compare camera dimensions side by side
Thanks JPT for the info. Seeing as you got to play with one, is the shutter sound like the k3 or the k50? Did you try LV AF at all?

02-15-2015, 09:25 PM   #5
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Thanks JPT for the info. Seeing as you got to play with one, is the shutter sound like the k3 or the k50? Did you try LV AF at all?
I'm afraid I didn't notice the shutter sound. I was more interested in the lens motor, which was very quiet. I did try the CDAF, because I wanted to try the flip screen. The live view focusing speed was very fast, like the K-S1. That means faster than previous generation Pentax DSLRs.
02-23-2015, 08:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really do hope that the shutter sounds isn't any where near as intrusive as the K30/K50. The shutter sounds just a bit too clunky on those otherwise fine cameras. I'm not hopeful though that it will be quieter. I think they reserve that for the higher level models.

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I'm afraid I didn't notice the shutter sound. I was more interested in the lens motor, which was very quiet. I did try the CDAF, because I wanted to try the flip screen. The live view focusing speed was very fast, like the K-S1. That means faster than previous generation Pentax DSLRs.
02-23-2015, 11:39 PM   #7

For K-2S is it possible to control the ISO with one of the wheels?
In the presentation of the site it appears only Av and Tv control on the wheels.
02-24-2015, 01:04 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
For K-2S is it possible to control the ISO with one of the wheels?
In the presentation of the site it appears only Av and Tv control on the wheels.
Hi Edri,

Certainly, on my K-S1 you press the ISO button and that makes its control wheel change that value.

02-24-2015, 11:40 AM   #9

Thanks for the reply. I like more and more this camera.