Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter

K-S1 no card in camera

That's twice now I've taken a pic now with no card in the camera. The info screen does show an icon (bottom left) of a card with a line through it, but there seems to be no equivalent information in the viewfinder, which is where I mostly look for it. SWMBO says that her K100D won't take a pic with no card in the camera, and the K-S1 manual does list an error message to that effect but I'm not sure where it would appear.

I checked all the settings but couldn't see any setting to the effect of "ignore missing card" or similar. Anyone able to enlighten me about this?

02-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
That's twice now I've taken a pic now with no card in the camera. The info screen does show an icon (bottom left) of a card with a line through it, but there seems to be no equivalent information in the viewfinder, which is where I mostly look for it. SWMBO says that her K100D won't take a pic with no card in the camera, and the K-S1 manual does list an error message to that effect but I'm not sure where it would appear.

I checked all the settings but couldn't see any setting to the effect of "ignore missing card" or similar. Anyone able to enlighten me about this?
I hate to argue with SWMBO, but my K100D certainly will take picture with no card. It just can't save it. I'm pretty sure the behavior has been the same for every Pentax I've owned.
03-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So put a card in?

Problem solved
03-08-2015, 08:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know about the KS-1 but the K-3, K-5 and IIRC the K-20 and K-10 all have the phrase "no card in camera" across the top of the rear display after you take a shot. It shows the shot but there is a clear message across the top of the shot.

NaCl(of course if you don't look at the rear display you are sool)H2O

03-09-2015, 02:50 AM   #5
Banned

As far as I know, the pictures can be viewed without the SD card in the camera. But for saving and transferring images, it is always advisable to use a SD card. You can check the following link for better information about SD cards compatibility with Pentax camera. K-x Recommended Memory Cards | Ricoh Imaging Support
03-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I don't know about the KS-1 but the K-3, K-5 and IIRC the K-20 and K-10 all have the phrase "no card in camera" across the top of the rear display after you take a shot. It shows the shot but there is a clear message across the top of the shot.
Yes, I see now that that is when/where that message shows. But I hardly use the screen so I don't see it. Just have to be more careful in future; I've purchased a USB cable so I expect to use that for image transfer in future (the card we were using in the K100D was an old SanDisk which had the useful attribute that one could snap it in two and then plug it into a normal USB port on the computer).
03-14-2015, 06:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A strategy that I have adopted is to never close the card door without a card in it. That way, when I pick it up, I can tell right away.
03-14-2015, 08:11 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
A strategy that I have adopted is to never close the card door without a card in it. That way, when I pick it up, I can tell right away.
Dangerous with the K-S1. As the door is at the bottom and springs back to more than 90deg, you risk breaking it accidentally if you then plonk the camera down. I always immediately shut the door after removing the card (well, except that these days I'm using the USB cable so removing it less).

03-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I've forgotten a card a couple of times. I now always carry a spare card in the camera bag for just those occasions. I've been looking at the rear LCD more and more now that it has such useful information on it when I first turn it on, so I'm more likely to see that there's no card. And I'm another who no longer leaves the card door open since I got the K-S1, it does look like some place that would be vulnerable. I find it interesting how my shooting habits have varied with just about every camera I've owned, they all seem to have introduced things that change how I've gone about doing things.
03-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As far as the K-X and K-30, it will always take a pic with no card in camera and then you will see the message saying that. When you go to a store and the demo is out, it will show that you can take a pic and the same will happen, it will shoot and no card in the camera.
03-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Dangerous with the K-S1. As the door is at the bottom and springs back to more than 90deg, you risk breaking it accidentally if you then plonk the camera down. I always immediately shut the door after removing the card (well, except that these days I'm using the USB cable so removing it less).
I'm with Kozlok. My K-S1 goes on the desk next to the computer, upside down with the card/battery door open, until the card goes back in.
The same applies when I'm charging the battery.
03-14-2015, 07:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter

A plus for the K-01, leave the rubber flap door open as a reminder.