Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2015, 08:40 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pre ordered my Ks2 Any Recommendations to go with it?

so excited, i was on the fence forever about just getting the k5, but once i saw the ks2, i instantly decided id pre order it.

so, im making a pinterest board of great additions to my Kit for the new Camera. i dont have a very big budget ( just another broke ass student ) but what are some of your Essentials?

of course i added extra batteries. a yongnuo flash, Pocketwizard, definitely gonna need a big SD card as i plan to do video every now and then. maybe a new very light Tripod? Studio equipment?

anything else you guys can think of? even a few lens recommendations! Im super pumped! thanks guys!

02-25-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

First off, if you're on a shoestring budget, you can buy a lot of really good used lenses for cheap, as long as you're OK with manual focus and manual aperture. I've bought used stuff off of KEH, and it's always gone well.

What do you want to take pictures of? That would help with lens recommendations.
02-25-2015, 10:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stermtrooper Quote
definitely gonna need a big SD card as i plan to do video every now and then
Get a few smaller ones as well. Never put all your eggs in one basket
02-25-2015, 11:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
yeah ! ive scored a few decent lenses off ebay and here on the forums actually.. i tend to shoot whatever! i dont have a preference, trying to expand my horizons. i love concert photography. local bars and such, i love abstract macro stuff. animals and nature are fun as well. my weakness's are portraits and studio stuff. got a Car show coming in the next month, im an open book really.. so far my lenses i have are all k mounts and i grabbed an asahi takumar 135mm (f 2.5) a promaster 28-200mm and another older promaster 19-35mm which is fun to take around with. personally i love the bokeh on the asahi and that creamyness it offers. the promasters are fun and easy but arent as sharp. still great for the money i paid. and of course i got the ol 18-55 kit lens from my kx. i honestly have no problems with manuals. unless i need something quick that i dont have the time for focusing.

---------- Post added 02-25-15 at 11:16 PM ----------

Very true! i have those covered, but they are like 16g's and 8g's so id love a massive 64g or something primarily for video. and once you fill one of those up with pics its a total pain to sort through all the photos as i have the tendency to not delete them off the card after ive transferred them onto a hard drive. : / So def great advice there.

03-21-2015, 07:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get the best tripod you can afford. Unfortunately inexpensive light tripods are a waste of money. If you are on a limited budget, do some research and find the sturdiest one you can afford. There is a forum section devoted to user reviews of tripods here

NaCl(trust me on this one I learned the hard way)H2O
03-23-2015, 06:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stermtrooper Quote
even a few lens recommendations!
Did you get the body only, or did you get the body with the 18-50 kit lens? Because the kit lens is very good optically for only $100 more than the body. That's the first lens you need right there, weather resistant like the body, and at a good price.
03-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unless studio work is your main interest, I'd skip anything beyond your flash. Do get some type of diffuser for it, like one of the soft boxes designed for flashes. Otherwise you'll end up spending more on an umbrella and a light stand, all very useful but not necessary to start with. Don't overload yourself with stuff - that's so easy to do with photography.

What are you planning on getting for a camera bag? I don't think there's a perfect one, and certainly not a perfect one for all occasions.

03-24-2015, 12:58 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Did you get the body only, or did you get the body with the 18-50 kit lens? Because the kit lens is very good optically for only $100 more than the body. That's the first lens you need right there, weather resistant like the body, and at a good price.
Mark, I havent gotten either yet, im actually waiting on a friend of mine who works for ricoh and can get me a great deal on one. but they are even sold out at their distribution center. so ill probably pre order it anyway and when i get it i get it. but i wasnt sure about the kit lens, i actually forgot it has a silent af? thats pretty damn nifty, i havent heard much on the ks2 and the lens's that come with it. but im definitely considering getting it with the 18-50mm just because of its features .

---------- Post added 03-24-15 at 01:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Don't overload yourself with stuff - that's so easy to do with photography.

What are you planning on getting for a camera bag? I don't think there's a perfect one, and certainly not a perfect one for all occasions.
-amazing advice. sooo true!. and as far as a camera bag, i have a single shoulder one. and a amazon basics one that was like 30 bucks oor something. pretty legit for the price.