Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2015, 08:03 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
sure hope that kit lens can do a little better than that
I understand your impression and I agree. Not the best of tests, though, and maybe more can be done with adequate PP. I'm not able to post better images right now because of poor weather.

03-05-2015, 08:29 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking at your exif.... ƒ6.3, 400 ISO exposure time 1.3....
Assuming you don't get a little vibration from your tripod, your settings look good. So it could possibly have been motion blur. Someone walking behind you could've caused that.

Thanks for those images, I know what a bother it is to do stuff like this....it doesn't seem like much to the end user, but if you're the guy doing the work, it's time consuming.
03-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
making a quick comparison of Live View between the K-S2 and K-3? Nothing serious, just your impression of the responsiveness.
Live view is equally responsive on both of those bodies. K-3 first offers composition adjustment when you hit the LV button, of course, a feature K-S2 does not have.
03-06-2015, 02:50 AM   #34
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Marktax - Would you agree that the shutter sound is on the loud side, like the K-30/50? I just tried it in a shop and it's definitely not the quiet muffled sound of the the K-5/3.

03-06-2015, 05:17 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I would not expect the K-S2 to have a quiet shutter like the K5/K3 as traditionally they are reserved for the flagship models, along with ultrasonic dust removal.
03-06-2015, 07:06 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Would you agree that the shutter sound is on the loud side, like the K-30/50?
Yes, K-S2 is not quite as loud as my K-30 but it's the same mechanism. For the K-3 they separated the mirror ans shutter mechanisms from each other, which do doubt was some more complex engineering. It's my view that doing so in the K-3 was a mark of dedication in making a really nice camera, and that the complexities of it are what led to the mirror flap problem. For me, it mitigates the fact that the problem occurred, because it seems they were really out there on a limb and a bug might have been expected to creep in. My K-3 doesn't have the problem
03-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
The only comparison shots I've had a moment for were at a scientific reception last night in a dimly lit museum lobby. Identical K-S2 camera settings, 20-40mm Ltd and the K-S2 Kit lens, both at 34mm zoom. Tungsten WB. These are straight OOC jpegs, "Bright" Custom Image setting with factory defaults, except that I had set sharpness to fine sharp. The full frame images were downsized for posting. A couple of 100% crops follow. No PP changes to the files other than raising exposure for the center crops. 2sec timer with camera sitting on a balustrade, steadied by hand (which I hope introduced no movement). 18-50 kit lens first, 20-40 second; the 18-50 is slightly darker in spite of the same settings. I would much rather have had a better-lit scene but weather and work have not been conducive to photography.[
That is pretty disappointing results. I guess it's not so disappointing when you consider that it's just a relatively inexpensive kit lens compared to a much more expensive lens, but it takes away my interest in it. It does make the 20-40 lens look more attractive, especially in silver. I know myself enough that I wouldn't be satisfied with the kit lens, I'd leave it at home. If I really want a small zoom, I can always get the limited.

Thanks for posting these, I found them very helpful! And the sensor looks like a nice one (but I expected that, I like the K-S1's sensor). Now I just need to win the lottery or something.

03-06-2015, 01:34 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Yes, K-S2 is not quite as loud as my K-30 but it's the same mechanism. For the K-3 they separated the mirror ans shutter mechanisms from each other, which do doubt was some more complex engineering. It's my view that doing so in the K-3 was a mark of dedication in making a really nice camera, and that the complexities of it are what led to the mirror flap problem. For me, it mitigates the fact that the problem occurred, because it seems they were really out there on a limb and a bug might have been expected to creep in. My K-3 doesn't have the problem
What is the real effect for "Clarity Enhancement" and "Diffraction Correction"?

When you will take time, is it possible to do some comparative shots with the 18-50 lens? According to previously posted photos the kit lens seemed much weaker than 20-40 lens.
03-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I still want the 18-50. Someone, sell it to me. Reasonably, that is

I don't think the results are so bad. I think in better light conditions, it will fare better.
03-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I think in better light conditions, it will fare better.
That has been my experience with consumer grade lenses generally. Some of the Pentax offerings (DA55~200 comes to mind) are really quite nice in good light - nicer than their price would indicate.
03-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I cannot find the "Image Sync" application -- referred to in the start-up guide book for wi-fi use -- anywhere on-line. I suspect the usual garbled translation of the Pentax manual from Japanese to English, and that "Image Sync" is a generic reference not an app. .....
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ricohimaging.imagesync
03-08-2015, 10:15 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I would like to know if it does AF during video like the K-3 does... A guy at some United Camera Store showed that func on the K-3 to me, and it ran really smooth (at least with the 18-135 DC WR) ...

And another q: How about the Camera Internal AF-motor?
Did they silence it a bit?
Because last time i had a Sony A58 in my hand with a screw drive lens mounted, i did a few shots and i gotta say WOW that was silent in-body AF man i would love to hear it that smooth on pentax bodies...
03-08-2015, 09:22 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Looking at your exif.... ƒ6.3, 400 ISO exposure time 1.3....
Assuming you don't get a little vibration from your tripod, your settings look good. So it could possibly have been motion blur. Someone walking behind you could've caused that.

Thanks for those images, I know what a bother it is to do stuff like this....it doesn't seem like much to the end user, but if you're the guy doing the work, it's time consuming.
I wouldn't judge the 18-50 shots too harshly. The camera was sitting on a balustrade and hand steadied with a long 1.3 seconds shutter speed. The 20-40 shots are better but that lens is at least 2x the cost of the 18-20. I pretty sure that the shots with the 18-50 will improve with more light.