Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-14-2015, 11:45 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
If the K-S2 is like the K-30/50/500/S1 (and everyone is saying it is), then it is about as loud as the K100D, but the sound form is different. My K100D's shutter has a slight squeak to it.

Yes, they are very similar in both volume and character. When I was working on a review of the K-S1, I recorded the shutter sound and compared the waveforms, but then no one cared about the K-S1, so I didn't do anything else with it. I think one reason people think the K-30/etc. is so loud is because there are two sharp peaks with a gap in between - the K-x was just as loud, but there is more sound filling that gap.

Comparison video:

https://youtu.be/I7VNeguwZmA
That video is a good way of comparing the sound character but not the actual volume as the video cam clearly has audio AGC working which will level the volumes. Note how the background noise quietens when the shutter is working.

03-14-2015, 11:59 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
That video is a good way of comparing the sound character but not the actual volume as the video cam clearly has audio AGC working which will level the volumes. Note how the background noise quietens when the shutter is working.
Well, you'll just have to take my word that AGC didn't make much of a difference and the relative volumes are the same in person.
03-24-2015, 05:46 PM   #33

Shutter sound, to me, on my K-30 AND K-x is quite different depending which lens I use
05-26-2015, 11:04 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I am also the owner of a K-S2 starting from yesterday.
The shutter noise is not disturbing though it is stronger than K7 shutter noise, my previous Pentax DSLR.
But it is another strange noise. It is a rustling when the shutter button is half-pressed.
I have not noticed this noise from K7 or K100Super. I may return the camera within 10 days. Is it a defect or so works K-S2?
Has anyone else heard this noise?

Last edited by edri; 05-26-2015 at 11:17 PM.
05-28-2015, 09:08 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
I am also the owner of a K-S2 starting from yesterday.
The shutter noise is not disturbing though it is stronger than K7 shutter noise, my previous Pentax DSLR.
But it is another strange noise. It is a rustling when the shutter button is half-pressed.
I have not noticed this noise from K7 or K100Super. I may return the camera within 10 days. Is it a defect or so works K-S2?
Has anyone else heard this noise?
Mine does that too. I assumed it is the focus motor, since it only occurs when focusing.
05-29-2015, 01:59 AM   #36

Photos: Gallery
Rustling noise is the SR

The strange rustling noise is causes by the SR system. Sounds like electric cables that are shorting together randomly. -- As for shutter noise overall, after a few thousand shots the noise level has decreased a bit. I would not describe the shutter noise as soft, but neither loud. It is noticeable but not in a significant way. I will caveat that by saying that the lens CAN make a huge difference as to how load the camera sounds.

Last edited by fb_penpho; 05-29-2015 at 11:10 AM.
05-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #37
Veteran Member

It hears the rustle also if SR is disabled.

05-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #38

My understanding of the SR is that it is always on when you take a photo. The difference is when 'SR off', there is no additional movement as the power is used to lock the sensor in position.
12-19-2015, 08:17 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Does the K-S2 have that characteristically loud mirror noise when you actuate the shutter? Or, did Pentax decide to make this one a bit quiter?
Hi, I looked at a K-S2 in a shop today and found (the camera storewas very quiet) that the mirror sound was closer to my K-5 than a K-50. Softer and lower pitched, but not quite as quiet as the K-5. Overall not objectionable, but you will hear it in a quiet setting.
The live view mirror slap is still there too. Overall it seems to be quite a nice camera.
12-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #40
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris B Quote
Hi, I looked at a K-S2 in a shop today and found (the camera storewas very quiet) that the mirror sound was closer to my K-5 than a K-50. Softer and lower pitched, but not quite as quiet as the K-5. Overall not objectionable, but you will hear it in a quiet setting.
The live view mirror slap is still there too. Overall it seems to be quite a nice camera.
Interesting, because the K-S2 uses the same shutter mechanism as the K-50

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-30-2016, 05:57 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I'm curious to know if the K-S2 has the same bizarre mirror flop behavior of the K-30 when shooting in live view mode? It would be great if the mirror just stayed up the whole time while in LV mode.
Hope the K-70 will improve over this one.
07-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #42
Veteran Member

KS2 may be Noisier than K30 but it's lens dependent
07-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Only worry about this if you are regularly shooting in quiet churches or places where your shutter will get you kicked out. For anywhere else, this shutter is totally fine.

The sound is like a solid "snick." Much better sounding than the MZ series film cameras (including the MZ-S) and on par with every modern Pentax and Nikon I have shot. The K-5 might have been a bit quieter. But nothing I would ever have commented about, without this thread....
07-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I took about 150 shots in a quiet country house the other day and nobody seemed to notice - there's definitely a 'click' to the K-S2's shutter, as opposed to the quieter 'whump' of my K-7, but it's not intrusive like, say, the K100D. I'd say it's on a par with most other manufacturers' midrange APS-C shutter sounds.
07-06-2016, 07:49 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's essentially the same as the K-50. Still louder than it ought to be IMO.
I have trouble separating mirror noise from shutter noise in my mind; since I don't use LV, both are happening as I press the shutter button.
How noisy is the K-01?

BTW - I use my Q-7 when I need to be quiet, because its leaf shutter is barely noticeable, even to me.