Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2015, 03:08 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What Windows, Linux Apps for WiFi

I have looked at the manual for setting up WiFi on the S2. So presumably when I press the WiFi button the camera will try to establish a link to the computer I have selected. But what is not stated is the application or applications that are capable of accepting a link from the camera. Anybody know what applications can accept the link and what can it do when it is established. thanks.

03-10-2015, 04:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The camera will broadcast an ID, your computer must detect it and then connect.
Once that's done I assume it will show as a shared device.

I'm sure it's all in the manual
03-10-2015, 05:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
Steve, my K20 manual is 300pages and the S2 a more complicated camera 150. I have looked through the 150 pages and I cannot find any reference. Pentax as you can see have definitely cut back on the manual and vital information like the type I am asking.
03-10-2015, 05:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, the manual does seem to lack info.
It shows -P89 and in the specs P127 that the camera is probably running a dhcp client to connect to an ordinary wireless router which will give it an IP#.
But no mention of what protocol or software needed to access the camera. Maybe the camera is running http server for access by a browser?
Is there a supplementary instruction for this?

03-10-2015, 10:13 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I thought the phone app for this was released just in the last few days.
03-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Yes, the manual does seem to lack info.
It shows -P89 and in the specs P127 that the camera is probably running a dhcp client to connect to an ordinary wireless router which will give it an IP#.
But no mention of what protocol or software needed to access the camera. Maybe the camera is running http server for access by a browser?
Is there a supplementary instruction for this?
Yes, it does appear that the camera operates as a DHCP client. As for the tethering protocol, a Web service solution with camera as server is most likely, though a proprietary protocol would not be against the rules. (The tethering app is not browser-based and both IOS and Android provide ample mechanism for opening/managing sockets.)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-10-2015 at 10:53 AM.
03-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I thought the phone app for this was released just in the last few days.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ricohimaging.imagesync

Steve

03-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Is that for the wifi or the nfc or both?
03-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Wifi. Nfc is only used to cut out the step of joining the network and entering the WPA key.
03-10-2015, 04:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks
I could really use a proper tethering to my cameras here when I play around with optics etc during the winter.
I will be unlikely to purchase a new aps-c camera to do it.
The other constraint is that when using the cameras on, for example a bellows, the prism gets in the way , so my K-01 works best.

As a side note about downloading those Android apps, we have 4 Androids here. I tried to download an app and nearly went nuts because it did not download and shop kept saying it was downloaded.
A few days later, I found the problem: The download was going to another device that was switched on.
03-10-2015, 05:38 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Thanks
I could really use a proper tethering to my cameras here when I play around with optics etc during the winter.
Well, for real USB tethering, there's nothing.

One day a variant of the 645's software might trickle down with an accompanying firmware upgrade.

Generally speaking, the K-3 is a tog's camera, the K-S series are for non-Pentaxians (although I have one as a superb second body).
03-11-2015, 09:33 AM   #12

Original Poster
Talked to my supplier who explained it as the following. The Camera acts as a 'master' an equivalent to a router. The app runs on the android device and accepts the link from the camera. There are no Windows or Linux programs (at the moment) that will work with the camera. So don't lose that USB cable any time soon, you will need it to transfer the files.
03-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
Talked to my supplier who explained it as the following. The Camera acts as a 'master' an equivalent to a router
I agree with that; reading the manual (page 92) seems to indicate that. The setup screen of the imagesync app connects to a device with a SSID, similar to connecting laptop or mobile to a router.
03-12-2015, 12:42 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I agree with that; reading the manual (page 92) seems to indicate that. The setup screen of the imagesync app connects to a device with a SSID, similar to connecting laptop or mobile to a router.
It's how the Flucard works, if you've ever used that, except you then follow the connection up with a web browser instead of a dedicated app.