Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2015, 02:30 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I find the K-S1 sensor much better than that on my K-30, Marktax.

For starters, it doesn't have an AA filter.

The reviews have the images comparing favorably with those from the K-3.
+1

I found the k-s1 to be pretty close to the k-3 in terms of IQ. I'd prefer to have a k-s2 over my old k-5. That said though, there may not be much of a difference between the k-s2 and k-5iis.

05-24-2015, 03:40 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
I suggest you contact SRS immediately. On the RICOH site the offer does not START until the 25th.
Hmm, they do state on the SRS website it's from the 21st although it says 25th in the graphic......
05-26-2015, 01:13 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I checked with SRS, Pentax have/will backdate the cash back fom the 21st, my K-S2 should be here tomorrow.
06-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Yes the K-S2 has a similar Hyper Program mode as the K-5/3 (P mode with instant switching to Tv or Av depending on the wheel you turn).

As for the K-30 vs K-S2 comparision, I have no experience of the K-30 so can't tell but the images posted in the previous page shows the K-30 has more sharpening and contrast applied, could simply be a matter of camera settings (which is easily tweaked on the K-S2). Could also be a matter of misfocus on the K-S2, since it looks to my eyes like it's slightly out of focus. Try the built-in AF adjustment function for the lenses.

06-10-2015, 08:53 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was seriously considering the K2-s for my next, then the K-3ii came out with pixel shifting, and I think about, better than D800 on my macros, tough choice, Tilting back screen, of unreal resolution. It's turned into a real tough choice.
06-14-2015, 02:09 AM   #21
Veteran Member

K-3, and also K-5, has more external controls than the K-S2 - for example it is easy to switch between metering modes on them, but on the K-S2 this is in the menu (very easy, just press info-button then choose metering mode and then change it, but still not as fast nor intuitive as a separate control on the body). K-3 and K-5 also has external LCD on top of the camera for exposure settings - sure the back-screen method used in the K-S2 works but when my eyes is in the viewfinder then the light from the back screen disturbs me, I actually prefers having the screen faced into the camera and not using it when shooting. The K-S2 also lacks the adjustable program line the K-3 and K-5 have (MTF, action, DOF etc.), on my K10D I had the Sv-mode set to programshift and ISO-setting, and I used programshift with program line set to MTF. This was very nice. But, K-S2 has scene modes and picture modes instead, so it is a mixture of features and user interface that combines some ideas from K-3 and K-5 with entry level beginner camera.
I prefer using my K-S2 in P-mode (HyP) using the two e-dials. Oh and the viewfinder in the K-S2 is stunning. As for image quality, too early to tell... My favourite Pentax cameras in terms of image quality is the K-10D, because the 10Mp Sony CCD had a beautiful natural graduation and rendition of colours. Sure it had high noise at high ISO, but at ISO 100 and 200 it was stunning in colours and low noise - actually better than my K-x with 12Mp CMOS. Time will tell if the K-S2 can match the colour rendition of the K10D...