Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #1

To KS2 or not to KS2, that is the question

I'm thinking of buying the new KS2 for one reason only -- the articulating LCD, a first for Pentax in their DSLR line.

Other than the fixed display, I love my K5iis and would keep using it for years. But I really have a problem these days getting down on the ground (and back up again!) for those special shots. Framing in live view with an articulating display would be just the ticket, I think.

Anyone have any experience with the KS2? Or the KS1, which appears to be very similar except for the fixed display. Do these cameras give the same IQ as the K5, K3, etc.?

I really like having two separate dials to control aperture and shutter in manual mode. Does the KS2 allow for that?

Thanks.

03-14-2015, 03:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are two wheels, according to the product photos in another thread, the thread in which two guys do a hands on preview, check it out.
03-15-2015, 07:41 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I got an MX-1 last fall. The reviews were just too good and the price had dropped to really low levels. I was hesitant about no viewfinder, but I have to admit that I don't miss it most of the time. A real plus is the articulating screen on the back. Being 64 myself, I find it is a real help as for some reason I just don't bend as much or as easy as I used too.

BTW, I love the MX-1 it is small, handy, and a killer B&W camera.
03-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well, I got an MX-1 last fall. The reviews were just too good and the price had dropped to really low levels. I was hesitant about no viewfinder, but I have to admit that I don't miss it most of the time. A real plus is the articulating screen on the back. Being 64 myself, I find it is a real help as for some reason I just don't bend as much or as easy as I used too.

BTW, I love the MX-1 it is small, handy, and a killer B&W camera.

Hmm, ?

03-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, the K-S2 has two control wheels. Yes, the flip out screen facilitates low-angle shots. I shot low macros that way just yesterday, but frankly I would have done better by lying down and holding the camera still against my forehead, eye to the viewfinder. If getting up and down is difficult, yes the articulating screen can help.

I am not finding the K-S2 sensor to be a match for the K-30/K-50 sensor.

The K-S1 and K-S2 are not similar cameras at all (other than the sensor), despite the similar name. Banish the notion that they are similar from your mind.

Last edited by Marktax; 03-16-2015 at 09:54 AM.
03-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote

I find the K-S1 sensor much better than that on my K-30, Marktax.

For starters, it doesn't have an AA filter.

The reviews have the images comparing favorably with those from the K-3.

Last edited by clackers; 03-16-2015 at 01:22 PM.
03-16-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I find the K-S1 sensor much better than that on my K-30, Marktax.
That's encouraging to know. I'm hoping that I reach the same conclusion.

03-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you shooting predominately in low light? My experience has been that the 20MP is better in good light (and has promoted a couple of my "good enough" lenses to "wow, very good"). It's trickier in low light. There is more noise, but it is easy to clean up with no loss of detail (noise is luminance type instead of false color). So extra attention is required, but with more detail in the end. A number of K-3 shooters complained that it was worse than the K-5 until they tweaked their workflow to match the new sensor/camera.

I also think the 20MP tolerates blue LEDs better, where the 16MP tends to go a bit crazy (that may just be me).
03-31-2015, 11:43 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where's it falling short?

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
04-01-2015, 06:45 AM   #10
smf
Pentaxian

Does anyone have a forecast of approximately when a full review of the K-S2 will be posted at Pentaxforums? Thanks.
04-01-2015, 07:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Where's it falling short?
Attached. I have the same basic result with the DA 40mm and the new 18-50. I don't think I did anything wrong, but I'm going to retest from scratch with the DA 35 Ltd to confirm.
Attached Images

04-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Im all in as soon as the price drops a bit ! No AA filter..... 20mp...... Articulating screen......Wi-Fi......whats not to like ?
The screen alone is what did it for me followed by the lack of AA filter....I need it as I shoot very low...... alot.
The rest is just icing on the whole package.
05-21-2015, 08:56 AM   #13

$600 for a body

It's not very often when the UK has a good price, but I saw this advert.

Pentax K-S2 Camera Body - Pentax DSLR Cameras - Interchangeable Lens Cameras - Cameras
05-24-2015, 12:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
It's not very often when the UK has a good price, but I saw this advert.

Pentax K-S2 Camera Body - Pentax DSLR Cameras - Interchangeable Lens Cameras - Cameras
I've just ordered a K-S2 from SRS, to replace my K-01 which is slowly dying (af and screen glitches) .
I was in the shop yesterday and had a play with the KS2 a K3. I would have loved the K3 but I have plans to get the FF when it's out so thought the K-S2 would be better value, and serve as a long term backup.
At £409 with the cash back it's very good value too.
05-24-2015, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #15

A bit too early

I suggest you contact SRS immediately. On the RICOH site the offer does not START until the 25th.