Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Another KS2 product video

Found this on youtube this morning. To me this is an excellent product video and highlights the things that people that would buy this sort of camera would want (built in wifi and share to social media instantly).

03-17-2015, 01:20 PM   #2

I have to disagree. This is a terrible product video. For one, it's not even a video. It's just a slideshow with a voice over. More importantly, the features are merely listed rather than demonstrated.

I've been searching the web every day for a review of this camera, or even some sample photos taken with it, and there is very little available.
03-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by hbarnwheeler Quote
I've been searching the web every day for a review of this camera, or even some sample photos taken with it, and there is very little available.
Try this from Imaging Resource to whet your apetite. At the end there is pointer to comprehensive description of its features.

Pentax K-S2 First Shots posted: Let the image quality comparisons begin

Full reviews, hopefully, will be published from reputable sources within the next 2/3 weeks, going by previous experiences. Remember the K-S1 has only just been made available for purchase and the material (hands on experiences, technical results etc.) needed for a decent review takes time to gather.
03-17-2015, 06:03 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by LoneWolf Quote
Try this from Imaging Resource to whet your apetite. At the end there is pointer to comprehensive description of its features.

Pentax K-S2 First Shots posted: Let the image quality comparisons begin
Excellent! Thanks for this.

03-19-2015, 05:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have to disagree. This is a terrible product video. For one, it's not even a video. It's just a slideshow with a voice over. More importantly, the features are merely listed rather than demonstrated.
Since the K-S2 is primarily a still camera it seems only fitting to use a slide show. Other Ricoh videos were criticized for using high speed video footage that was beyond the frame rate of the video specs for the camera - in other words the footage was not shot with the camera model being featured!
03-19-2015, 07:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have to disagree. This is a terrible product video. For one, it's not even a video. It's just a slideshow with a voice over. More importantly, the features are merely listed rather than demonstrated. I've been searching the web every day for a review of this camera, or even some sample photos taken with it, and there is very little available.
The video is typical product placement information, at a high level of abstraction . . . like a movie preview that really doesn't get into the details of the film. Nothing really technical is revealed, such as what, exactly, "clarity enhancement" is doing with the pixels. That such a feature is available is nice-to-know. "Better-to-know" would be what it is doing. But really useful level of detail like that can only be found once you get the camera in-hand, or from other users. I've been posting as much useful information as I can between my day-job and short daylight hours after work for shooting. I'm finding that I like the K-S2 (even though I'm not finished assessing what I think about the 20mp sensor). Since I can't properly get to that at the moment, I've been experimenting with the A-HDR mode and how to optimize it, and with the Image Sync app on iPhone, which I have had since yesterday morning. In that video at time-stamp 0:42, you see a daisy-wheel of circles with facebook icon at the top, trash at the bottom. My layout of circles is slightly different than what you see there, so a few mysteries remain to investigate. I can indeed operate the camera from as far as 35 feet away, with live view on my iPhone, but I was not working in an area very dense with other wi-fi networks. I'm not sure what the effects of other networks might be, or the effect of battery reserves in either the camera or the phone. Still working on that.

The picture below was taken this morning from my car seat on the way to work, hand held, A-HDR, with Custom Image set to "Bright." (I'm doing a series on doorways and I'm much more interested in color palette and textures than sharpness.) Your pre-set "Custom Image" choice serves as the basis for the three shots, so Custom Image "muted" gives the HDR's an entirely different look. You can change the Custom Image setting using the s/w that came with the camera. I sent this to my phone using K-S2 wi-fi and Image Sync, and then mailed it to myself. All of that works just fine, with lag times that one might expect from a wi-fi network with such low power and an antenna internal to the camera body.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
03-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #7

Thanks for the photos! I look forward to seeing more.