Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2015, 03:45 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yep, the K series is aimed at traditional photographers, the S models at expanding the market to phone users who get the feeling they should upgrade to a 'real' camera.

03-25-2015, 06:27 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
S models at expanding the market to phone users who get the feeling they should upgrade to a 'real' camera.
From the outset, that marketing language seemed misguided to me. Neither of the S-models (three, if you add the Q7 refresh) has a touch screen, which, seems to me, would have been the very feature you might want to emulate under that marketing rubric. The K-S1 was sized down, and they put "Effects" on the rear mode dial as if they were trying to give more ready access to something like Instagram filters. But that's where any phone-like aspects ended as far as I could tell. (I've not handled a K-S1, so someone can correct me on whether "Effects" was anything other than faster access to the digital filters we're already familiar with in the menus.) K-S2 allowed it's articulating screen to rotate forward for selfies, but articulating screen was bound to happen on its own merits, not to be like a phone. Wi-Fi was coming on it's own merits as well, and they already had started working in that direction with both Q7 / K-50 Eye-Fi compatibility and the K-3 FLU card implementation. As far as I'm concerned, K-S2 is really the K-70 of the K-30/50/70 series. It has nothing to do with cell phone users or the K-S1 in terms its useability in-hand. It has some internal K-S1 DNA, but on the outside it's the mid-range K-50 replacement, without -- unfortunately -- wireless flash control. That's the one thing they left off, and it really puzzles me why.
03-25-2015, 06:38 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
From the outset, that marketing language seemed misguided to me. Neither of the S-models (three, if you add the Q7 refresh) has a touch screen, which, seems to me, would have been the very feature you might want to emulate under that marketing rubric. The K-S1 was sized down, and they put "Effects" on the rear mode dial as if they were trying to give more ready access to something like Instagram filters. But that's where any phone-like aspects ended as far as I could tell. (I've not handled a K-S1, so someone can correct me on whether "Effects" was anything other than faster access to the digital filters we're already familiar with in the menus.) K-S2 allowed it's articulating screen to rotate forward for selfies, but articulating screen was bound to happen on its own merits, not to be like a phone. Wi-Fi was coming on it's own merits as well, and they already had started working in that direction with both Q7 / K-50 Eye-Fi compatibility and the K-3 FLU card implementation. As far as I'm concerned, K-S2 is really the K-70 of the K-30/50/70 series. It has nothing to do with cell phone users or the K-S1 in terms its useability in-hand. It has some internal K-S1 DNA, but on the outside it's the mid-range K-50 replacement, without -- unfortunately -- wireless flash control. That's the one thing they left off, and it really puzzles me why.
By 'wireless' I take it you mean radio. Not flash triggered lighting. Appreciate it if you could expand what you want when you say 'wireless flash control.
03-25-2015, 07:06 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I'm really digging the K-S2, and it does seem a worthy K-50 replacement. The screen is a revelation, I like the new menu organization, and even the new kit lens is unique and quite usable. What's not to like?

03-25-2015, 07:28 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lack of wireless aka radio flash in the K-S2 is not important to me as I will be using a 3rd party flash system with its own wireless radio remote system with much more flexibility.
03-25-2015, 08:32 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
By 'wireless' I take it you mean radio. Not flash triggered lighting. Appreciate it if you could expand what you want when you say 'wireless flash control.
Pentax wireless flash is indeed triggered by light from the pop-up or another onboard flash. It is not radio controlled. One can buy into radio systems, of course, if you want to spend more money, but since many people already own Pentax wireless flashes, and since the wireless flash algorithms were already written and available (i.e., no new development cost), I can't see why they did not add them to the K-S2.
03-25-2015, 09:53 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Pentax wireless flash is indeed triggered by light from the pop-up or another onboard flash. It is not radio controlled. One can buy into radio systems, of course, if you want to spend more money, but since many people already own Pentax wireless flashes, and since the wireless flash algorithms were already written and available (i.e., no new development cost), I can't see why they did not add them to the K-S2.
Thanks for the reply, what I was thinking off was that the S2 has builtin wifi. I believe the latest radio systems use the same wifi transmissions. So I thought with some extra firmware (if there is room), the the S2 could act as a master and trigger other flashes, like the Yongnuo 4. Might be wrong and it may not be possible.

Last edited by fb_penpho; 03-25-2015 at 10:08 AM.
03-25-2015, 10:06 AM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-S1 is already as good as discontinued so this forum will mainly be for the S2. But hey, it was worth giving the S1 a shot at having a dedicated section

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-25-2015, 03:21 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-S1 is already as good as discontinued so this forum will mainly be for the S2. But hey, it was worth giving the S1 a shot at having a dedicated section
I understand now.
03-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #25
Pentaxian

But hey, it was worth giving the S1 a shot at having a dedicated section
Yes. Like the K-01 I think K-S1was unfairly maligned, especially since it just won a "best" award. The K-01 won a couple of "best" awards, too.
03-25-2015, 07:45 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I love my K-01's. I'm thinking the S2 is a direct replacement for my K-01's. It's approximately the same size!
03-26-2015, 08:34 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I sure wish it had been better received - too many people could be missing out on a good camera. As a K-S1 owner, I don't mind sharing space with the S2, even if I suspect that the few S1 owners out there will be far outnumbered in a week or two.
03-26-2015, 08:40 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I sure wish it had been better received - too many people could be missing out on a good camera. As a K-S1 owner, I don't mind sharing space with the S2, even if I suspect that the few S1 owners out there will be far outnumbered in a week or two.
If the S2 didn't have the glitzy features, I'm sure I would have bought the S1 to replace my abused K-30. How can I say no to the articulated screen and wi-fi/NFC when it's right there waiting for me. :-)

(I do like the available colors (*ahem*blue,please*ahem*) of the K-S1 moreso than the "Stone Gray" K-S2 that I ended up with, but I can't nit-pick the exterior of the camera...)
03-26-2015, 08:52 PM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Me too, but I could have called this outcome when I saw the camera at Photokina. We literally have fewer than 20 K-S1 owners here on the forum (per folks' profiles) Even though the camera has been out for half a year now, it's still listed as a "new release" at B&H due to low sales.

There's one small glimpse of hope (in the US market at least). If and when the K-S1 goes on sale, at sub-K-50 prices, I'm sure many will pick one up.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
(I do like the available colors (*ahem*blue,please*ahem*) of the K-S1 moreso than the "Stone Gray" K-S2 that I ended up with, but I can't nit-pick the exterior of the camera...)
Sara, have you gotten your K-S2 yet? (sorry, probably a dumb question). I'm curious how blue the "Stone Gray" is. Of course product photos never match reality, but I think I've seen that shade of "gray" called "Slate Blue" on other things. It almost looks like a non-metallic version of the K-x's "Navy". The K-S1's "Tweed Gray" is an honest-to-goodness "gray".

I'm still hoping the K-S1 at closeout will get a cult like the K-01. I can reuse my yellow robes!