Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-22-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Grouping K-S1 and K-S2 Forums

Adam,

Is there a logical reason for grouping these two cameras in one forum other than their names are similar? Just curious. I can see grouping the K-30 and K-50 as they are essentially the same camera, but I haven't seen much similarity between the S1 and S2, They seem to be quite different cameras. I'm a lazy sort, so it would be SO much easier to browse up on the K-S2 (probably my next camera purchase) if I didn't have to sort though unrelated posts.

cheers & thanks!
Rick

03-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IIRC, the two cameras share the same 20mp sensor, and have similar performance/image quality.
03-22-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As above. Although the K-S2 has a few more features they share a great deal of DNA, and image quality will be identical.
03-22-2015, 09:38 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yep, K-S1 plus tilting screen, redesigned grip and inbuilt wifi, really. And minus the giant woman in the ads.

03-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah, OK then. I was laboring under the assumption they had two different sensors, my bad. ;-)

I've just now found a comparison of the K-S1 and K-S2 and can see that the focusing system is the major internal hardware upgrade... Safox IXi+ to Safox X

To be honest I hadn't really looked at the K-S1 as the exterior design wasn't my 'cup of tea'. I will now go back and look at the imaging results in the K-S1 reviews.

Thank you!!!
03-22-2015, 10:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Well, a K-5IIs and a K-01 share the same sensor, as well- the only difference being the processor, some features, and external appearance. Just sayin'...
03-22-2015, 10:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Well, a K-5IIs and a K-01 share the same sensor, as well- the only difference being the processor, some features, and external appearance. Just sayin'...
And 14 vs 12 bit processing, and no anti-aliasing filter, both of which *will* influence IQ so it's a silly comparison.

03-22-2015, 11:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
And 14 vs 12 bit processing, and no anti-aliasing filter, both of which *will* influence IQ so it's a silly comparison.
Are we still talking about the K-S1 & S2 ?
03-22-2015, 11:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
Are we still talking about the K-S1 & S2 ?
That would be good. I'm sorry I allowed myself to be distracted by shiner's post.
03-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I think the K-S2 is more of the K-30/50 clan than K-S1-like because it is a two-control-wheel camera, which IMHO is a critical interface feature with which to define groupings. K-S1 and K-S2 might be grouped because of the sensor and some other recent DNA, but in-hand, K-S1 is more like a K-01 with a viewfinder, while K-S2 is a K-50 with an articulating screen. The fact that the mode dial was on the back of the K-S1 makes it operationally unique, again setting it apart from K-S2. The K-S2, operationally speaking, is very like the K-30/50 -- two wheels, mode dial has mostly the same choices, in the same location, doesn't lock. The oddity on the K-S2 mode dial is A-HDR -- HDR hasn't been on a mode dial since K-01. K-S2 thus has some K-01 DNA. The biggest shortfall in the K-S2, is the lack of wireless flash control. That missing factor actually groups the K-S2 with K-01 and K-S1. So it's all a mix, really. Pentax could have called the K-S2 the K-70 (K-30/50/70 series), but they clearly wanted to freshen the recent naming conventions. The Q7 remake also got the S-factor. It's all good.
03-23-2015, 07:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
I think the K-S2 is more of the K-30/50 clan than K-S1-like because it is a two-control-wheel camera, which IMHO is a critical interface feature with which to define groupings. K-S1 and K-S2 might be grouped because of the sensor and some other recent DNA, but in-hand, K-S1 is more like a K-01 with a viewfinder, while K-S2 is a K-50 with an articulating screen. The fact that the mode dial was on the back of the K-S1 makes it operationally unique, again setting it apart from K-S2. The K-S2, operationally speaking, is very like the K-30/50 -- two wheels, mode dial has mostly the same choices, in the same location, doesn't lock. The oddity on the K-S2 mode dial is A-HDR -- HDR hasn't been on a mode dial since K-01. K-S2 thus has some K-01 DNA. The biggest shortfall in the K-S2, is the lack of wireless flash control. That missing factor actually groups the K-S2 with K-01 and K-S1. So it's all a mix, really. Pentax could have called the K-S2 the K-70 (K-30/50/70 series), but they clearly wanted to freshen the recent naming conventions. The Q7 remake also got the S-factor. It's all good.
Another interest of mine is genetic genealogy. I am an administrator for a Y-DNA project that seeks to find family relationships for people with my surname or variant. One of the tools we use to sort out family relationships is a phylogenetic tree chart based on Y-DNA mutations. I bet I could make a family chart for Pentax digital cameras given enough information like your great post! Thank you!
03-23-2015, 08:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
a phylogenetic tree chart based on Y-DNA mutations
That would be interesting. I did a similar thing with some Beatles songs and came up with a pretty nice chart. It was fun.
03-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's funny - I consider the 2nd control wheel to be a pretty minor difference (probably because most of my cameras haven't had one, and I don't really care about the second wheel even though it's a show-stopper for some), but I consider having the same processor (and sensor) to be very significant (probably because I'm a computer engineer by training). While the Pentax PRIME is a "custom version" of the Milbeaut processor, I think an awful lot of the final feature set depends on what Fujitsu incorporates into their off-the-shelf version.
03-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I did a similar thing with some Beatles songs and came up with a pretty nice chart. It was fun.
Marktax, I would be very much interested in seeing such a chart. Would you consider sharing it?
03-23-2015, 03:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Pentax could have called the K-S2 the K-70 (K-30/50/70 series), but they clearly wanted to freshen the recent naming conventions. The Q7 remake also got the S-factor. It's all good.
A recent interview with Ricoh they started that the K-S line was a new an separate line to the K series.