Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2015, 02:47 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
OK here are some shots of the cam
What do all those codes or acronyms on the sticker at the back mean: 'R-NZ', 'TRA' etc? Any ideas?

03-28-2015, 09:14 AM - 3 Likes   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Cross-posted from some other K-S2 thread...

Crystal white K-30/Stone gray K-S2

03-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
What do all those codes or acronyms on the sticker at the back mean: 'R-NZ', 'TRA' etc? Any ideas?
They are compliance labels required by various countries. Since the K-S2 is a radio device, it has to meet certain standards, including (in some countries) a prominent label indicating it is registered. Apparently, New Zealand and the United Arab Emirates require quite large labels; the US requires the smaller FCC logo and ID number (just below the R-NZ).
03-28-2015, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

I haven't done a direct comparison yet, but one thing that stands out to me is that the noise from this sensor is pleasing somehow- very like film grain. Of course, the 12bit DR is a drawback, just like the K-01, but I'm used to working with that.
I've put up K-01 and K-5 images from the same location, no one can tell the difference, and I once saw a scientific paper that claimed 12 bit was about the technical limit of 16 bit APS-c in any case.

Here give it a try.... 8 images, 4 K-5, 4 K-01 same light and location.

03-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #35
Pentaxian

The stone gray looks like the Prestige K-3.😉
04-06-2015, 02:43 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Cross-posted from some other K-S2 thread...

Crystal white K-30/Stone gray K-S2

I sort of wish I'd got the Stone Gray instead of the Forest Green. For one thing, I've managed to misplace the camera in my own home twice. One time I started to wonder whether I may have left it somewhere or maybe left my car unlocked- until I noticed it sitting on the clothes basket, where I had already looked. It's like camo...
04-06-2015, 10:48 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is a compact kit I'm carrying around (sorry for Note3 photos)

04-07-2015, 04:30 AM   #38
Site Supporter

I sort of wish I'd got the Stone Gray instead of the Forest Green. For one thing, I've managed to misplace the camera in my own home twice. One time I started to wonder whether I may have left it somewhere or maybe left my car unlocked- until I noticed it sitting on the clothes basket, where I had already looked. It's like camo...
lol! Maybe I do kinda wish I would have gone with the white. The stone gray is so close to black when it's not next to something truly black... I really wish they had released a blue or violet-colored one! It's all vanity. The usability isn't affected... but if you're losing your camera in your own home, though...

04-07-2015, 04:57 AM   #39
Pentaxian

lol! Maybe I do kinda wish I would have gone with the white. The stone gray is so close to black when it's not next to something truly black... I really wish they had released a blue or violet-colored one! It's all vanity. The usability isn't affected... but if you're losing your camera in your own home, though...
A bright yellow camera is what I need.... and glow in the dark.

With a remote that turns on a beeper when I can't find it.

Mabye and Apple App, find my camera.

I don't see any responses from everyone who thought they could tell the difference between 12 bit and 14 bit. Just like last time.
04-07-2015, 05:08 AM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't see any responses from everyone who thought they could tell the difference between 12 bit and 14 bit. Just like last time.
I know that the K-S2 and the K-30 both have "12-bit color depth", and I'm not much of a techno-geek, so I can't claim to understand all of the finer points, but all I shoot is RAW, and the K-S2 files definitely handle differently than the K-30 files (and the MX-1 RAW files are different again). I've had to come at them in Lightroom from different angles to get the results I want, and I don't have as firm a grasp on the K-S2 files as I did on the K-30's... I'd have to educate myself to speak intelligently about WHY, but it is different...
04-07-2015, 05:12 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I know that the K-S2 and the K-30 both have "12-bit color depth", and I'm not much of a techno-geek, so I can't claim to understand all of the finer points, but all I shoot is RAW, and the K-S2 files definitely handle differently than the K-30 files (and the MX-1 RAW files are different again). I've had to come at them in Lightroom from different angles to get the results I want, and I don't have as firm a grasp on the K-S2 files as I did on the K-30's... I'd have to educate myself to speak intelligently about WHY, but it is different...
I have the same thing with my K-5 and K-3. The level of sharpness I use in my K-5 presets causes artifacts in K-3 images, I have to remember to make the sharpening about a third what my k-5 sharpening is, but that has nothing to do with 12 bit or 14 bit. Both those cameras are 14 bit.
04-07-2015, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Both those cameras are 14 bit.
Right, and both the K-30 and K-S2 are 12-bit. But obviously the sensors are different.

I've noticed that, versus the K-30, the K-S2 files do have more luminance noise, but it is exponentially more responsive to noise-reduction (like, whoa!), and, whereas in the K-30's files I might compensate for blown highlights and black shadows by pulling the ... Highlights and Shadows sliders (duh), the K-S2's files respond better to an adjustment of overall exposure downward, then bumping the Lights and Darks as needed in Tone Curve. Otherwise, details in highlights are somehow "forgotten"... It's kinda weird, and making an adjustment after two years of processing K-30 files, I get a little baffled at times! :-)
04-07-2015, 05:27 AM   #43
Pentaxian

You get used to it. Now my K-5 images confuse me...
04-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #44
Site Supporter

How are you finding the AF on the K-S2 vs the K30....especially in more challenging situations, like when light is scarce?

04-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
How are you finding the AF on the K-S2 vs the K30....especially in more challenging situations, like when light is scarce?
Unfortunately, I do not use auto-focus lenses. I don't own a single auto-focus lens except for the kit lens that came with the K-S2, and I only took the kit lens out for one day (now I've lent it out to a friend, along with the K-30 body). From my short experimentation, it seemed very fast to me. I can only compare it to the MX-1, as far as auto-focus and it was certainly faster than that, but I don't think the focusing-systems are the same from the point-and-shoot MX-1 to DSLR K-S2. Apples and oranges.