Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #46
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

@severalsnakes

Can you give me your feedback regarding the grip of the K-S2 vs the K-30? Not a single store in Stockholm has it in stock so can't get my hands on it and try it out...
I hope it's not smaller than the K-30.

04-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Yos Quote
@severalsnakes

Can you give me your feedback regarding the grip of the K-S2 vs the K-30? Not a single store in Stockholm has it in stock so can't get my hands on it and try it out...
I hope it's not smaller than the K-30.
I would say the grip is "smaller" unfortunately. It does not feel as "deep" front to back, although it does seem to be the same width - it feels like the same volume being clutched in my fingers, but my finger tips seem like they do not have as much room to hook around the grip. This is a very SMALL difference, but not negligible. The grip on the K-S2 is also more square and less contoured, which means it doesn't feel as "fitted" to my hand. the K-30 hasd a more rounded grip, and that little pointy part right under the shutter release that made it feel really secure in-hand.

Sounds like I'm complaining, but the grip design is fine with me, because the entire camera itself somehow seems more balanced than the K-30 in regard to evenly distributed weight.
04-08-2015, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #48
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ricoh is a global 'Green' company. They omit the cables to conserve resources, because they assume everyone already has one and because the EU strongly encourages it - (standardization mandates are around the corner). The lens shade / hood is another matter entirely - but how many times have we seen a photo of a Canon with the hood reversed on the 'People and Their Cameras' thread? Most consumer users never use the lens hood.
You know that old saying about assumptions. And if environmental friendliness is also their reason for not including a paper manual, I'm sorry, but I have to say that this is one case where I'm all for chopping down a few more trees. When you reference them as much as I have in the past, constantly checking the index and cross-references and flipping back and forth from one page to another, it's a helluva lot more user friendly than having to read a pdf or a website - especially if you're out in the country somewhere.
04-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imno007 Quote
You know that old saying about assumptions. And if environmental friendliness is also their reason for not including a paper manual, I'm sorry, but I have to say that this is one case where I'm all for chopping down a few more trees. When you reference them as much as I have in the past, constantly checking the index and cross-references and flipping back and forth from one page to another, it's a helluva lot more user friendly than having to read a pdf or a website - especially if you're out in the country somewhere.
I have "self-published" the manual, because there are many times and places where viewing the pdf is either crazy inconvenient or impossible.
That used a lot more tree, ink, and energy than commercial printing ever would have, but Ricoh saved their $$.

04-18-2015, 11:27 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I wonder if I'm the only owner of the SMC DAL 18-50 DC WR RE who has a Pentax lens hood for it?

I couldn't find it on the Ricoh Pentax U.S. web site, but found a supplier on eBay... in Japan. It was crazy expensive. But oh, so meticulously packaged- there could have been a lens in that package, and it would have made it just fine!

Last edited by shiner; 04-18-2015 at 11:37 AM.
08-17-2015, 02:24 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
I wonder if I'm the only owner of the SMC DAL 18-50 DC WR RE who has a Pentax lens hood for it?
I bought one from an eBay japanese retailer too, along with the lens cap for the hood. A bit disappointed by how plasticy the lens cap feels as well as how I have to pry the cap off the hood (I guess I'm just used to the nice metal cap of the DA 21mm).

Still, I think it's a great compact design and have not regretted the purchase. All that's missing from my DA-L compared to the regular DA version is the HD coating!
08-18-2015, 12:50 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I bought one from an eBay japanese retailer too, along with the lens cap for the hood. A bit disappointed by how plasticy the lens cap feels as well as how I have to pry the cap off the hood (I guess I'm just used to the nice metal cap of the DA 21mm).

Still, I think it's a great compact design and have not regretted the purchase. All that's missing from my DA-L compared to the regular DA version is the HD coating!
Wow, I got no lens cap for the hood! I feel ripped off.

08-18-2015, 06:32 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Wow, I got no lens cap for the hood! I feel ripped off.
You were not ripped off. I had to buy the lens cap separately from another japanese dealer, cost me $22 extra:
Official Pentax Lens Cap O LW67A for HD Pentax Da 18 50MMF4 5 6 DC WR Re | eBay
08-18-2015, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
You were not ripped off. I had to buy the lens cap separately from another japanese dealer, cost me $22 extra:
Official Pentax Lens Cap O LW67A for HD Pentax Da 18 50MMF4 5 6 DC WR Re | eBay
Well that's better. Now I'll probably buy a crazy-over-priced, ill-fitting, plastic lens cap for my kit lens. It's even worse than regular LBA.