Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2015, 09:38 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-S2 has Arrived!

As I had hoped, this camera is quite the tool, and I would call it an "advanced" level camera. I got the Forest Green color, so I had to order the new kit lens with it. This kit lens is actually pretty sweet- I'm considering keeping it! The K-S2 is a LOT of fun to use, and I suspect that my other bodies will remain neglected for a while. Since I'm thinking of keeping the kit, I looked in eBay for a "Lens Hood PH-RBJ58". ~$46USD shipped to the States, and with an ETA of May 27... Ouch! Other annoying omissions include the lack of a traditional paper Pentax owner's manual, and no USB cord. The USB cord turned out to be more of a problem than I thought, as I assumed that it would be a USB2 A to Mini cable like has been used for Pentax DSLR bodies until the K-3's USB3 cable, and I have several of them. But nooo, I had to get a "USB2 A-to-USB micro B" cable. Why change this socket?? Oh well anyway, great camera!!

03-24-2015, 03:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats, sounds like a winner of a camera.
If you get a chance post up some pics of your Forest Green model, it's the one I have my eye on, and I don't trust ad photos.
03-24-2015, 04:03 AM   #3

A bit stingy

Surprised and a bit disappointed that the lens hood and USB cable are not included in the kit. Very low cost but essential items. I have bought $7 devices that have included the USB cable, but this will cost $700 and still does not have a cable.

Last edited by fb_penpho; 03-24-2015 at 12:45 PM.
03-24-2015, 04:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Yes, photos of and by your new camera please! Congratulations!

03-24-2015, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #5

I was also amazed for the lack of USB-cable. And my mobile phone was not compatible with the WIFI application. Too ancient Android. Then noticed, that my ordinary smartphone charging USB cable is *micro b USB*, so no panic. Use our smartphone cables, that's it.
03-24-2015, 12:50 PM   #6

They changed to a micro-B connector because that is compatible with the micro-B portion on the USB3 socket on the K-3
03-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Congrats, I'd love to get one, but I need to sell my K-5 and K-01 to do so. Maybe when the price drops a bit.

03-24-2015, 01:10 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Congrats, I'd love to get one, but I need to sell my K-5 and K-01 to do so. Maybe when the price drops a bit.
I think it is better wait the high ISO test results of the new sensor. The old 16 MB sensor may have better low light shooting capabilities, if you have to rise the ISO. Not tested it enough yet.
03-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
Surprised and a bit disappointed that the lens hood and USB cable are not included in the kit. Very low cost but essential items. I have bought $7 devices that have included the USB cable, but this will cost $700 and still does not have a cable.
Ricoh is a global 'Green' company. They omit the cables to conserve resources, because they assume everyone already has one and because the EU strongly encourages it - (standardization mandates are around the corner). The lens shade / hood is another matter entirely - but how many times have we seen a photo of a Canon with the hood reversed on the 'People and Their Cameras' thread? Most consumer users never use the lens hood.
03-24-2015, 02:58 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ricoh is a global 'Green' company. They omit the cables to conserve resources, because they assume everyone already has one and because the EU strongly encourages it - (standardization mandates are around the corner). The lens shade / hood is another matter entirely - but how many times have we seen a photo of a Canon with the hood reversed on the 'People and Their Cameras' thread? Most consumer users never use the lens hood.
With the K-3, I suppose that Ricoh presumes that everyone already has some UDB3 cables sitting around? With this camera, here's another socket that no one with previous Pentax DSLRs has collected. Maybe another device happens to use one- then the customer can share cables from other devices. I'm simply unlucky in that I can't locate one around the house, I guess. And to presume that the buyer is just too dumb to miss the hood and wouldn't use it anyway? Perhaps it's more of a bean counting thing.
On the other hand, I would be opposed to a law requiring that lens hoods be properly attached when a camera is in use...
03-25-2015, 05:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
With the K-3, I suppose that Ricoh presumes that everyone already has some UDB3 cables sitting around?
It retrofits with USB2...
03-25-2015, 06:55 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It retrofits with USB2...
With an adapter?
03-25-2015, 07:06 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With the K-3, I suppose that Ricoh presumes that everyone already has some UDB3 cables sitting around? With this camera, here's another socket that no one with previous Pentax DSLRs has collected.Maybe another device happens to use one- then the customer can share cables from other devices. I'm simply unlucky in that I can't locate one around the house, I guess.
Collectivist thinking presumes if you and I are among the small number of customers who don't have a USB3 cable we'll go out and buy one - one time - or use an existing USB2 cable (since almost no one has a PC that benefits from USB3). That's collectivist 'Green Thinking' in action.

By retrofit bdery above means your existing USB2 cable fits the existing USB2 slot on the USB3 port. A USB3 cable / USB3 port has an additional pin molded onto the cable that fits in an additional socket next to the standard USB slot. If you use just the USB2 cable in the USB2 slot you get USB2 performance.
And to presume that the buyer is just too dumb to miss the hood and wouldn't use it anyway? Perhaps it's more of a bean counting thing.
On the other hand, I would be opposed to a law requiring that lens hoods be properly attached when a camera is in use...
No comments here.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-25-2015 at 07:12 AM.
03-25-2015, 07:26 AM   #14
Pentaxian

With an adapter?
http://i.imgur.com/OH5LU62.gif
03-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Still, it's the B micro plug. Hmm, wonder what the transfer rate degrades to.