Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1522 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hbarnwheeler Quote
These are fantastic. Are those M42 lenses?
Thank you! And yes, they are m42 lenses.

04-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Thank you! And yes, they are m42 lenses.
What kind of adapter do you use? Is it a flange type or the official pentax one?
04-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #33
Veteran Member

What kind of adapter do you use? Is it a flange type or the official pentax one?
It is the official Pentax adapter.
04-01-2015, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is one from today with the FA 31:

04-01-2015, 07:46 PM - 4 Likes   #35
Veteran Member

K-S2, Promaster 24/2.8 (m42)

(Cross-posted from Single in April)

04-01-2015, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
K-S2, Promaster 24/2.8 (m42)

(Cross-posted from Single in April)

Good stuff! I really like the second one.
04-02-2015, 08:39 AM - 4 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here's the two newest and unique features of the K-S2 topside functions in combination: A-HDR and the rear shutter button. I predict Pentax will retain and refine both of these functions.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
04-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Here's the two newest and unique features of the K-S2 topside functions in combination: A-HDR and the rear shutter button. I predict Pentax will retain and refine both of these functions.
Looking good! Is that the DA15? Or fish eye?
04-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Lazy question: is the A-HDR function jpeg only, or can you get a raw file (raw files) from it?
04-02-2015, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That's the 10-17. If you really want to do what I call contextual portraits (as opposed to selfies) with K-S2, the fisheye or the 15mm are the best choices because the wider perspective gives you more of the actual context. The kit lens, or any lens that starts around 28mm eq., can work, but the stand-off is not as great and there's more of you in the picture than the background. You also get into depth of field issues where either you or the background isn't in sufficiently good focus. With the screen flipped out in Live View, you can set CDAF to face detection and get yourself in focus, and the 15mm or the fish handles the background pretty well. Or you can go the other way around with distant focus and let yourself be a little out. Even wide open, DOF on the fish is adequate at arm's length. The K-S2's rear shutter button also kills any need for a selfie stick, which I would never use in the first place but certainly not in an airport. I have no interest in talking to a security guard. It's a brilliant feature that other makers are no doubt going to copy.

---------- Post added 04-02-15 at 01:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
Lazy question: is the A-HDR function jpeg only, or can you get a raw file (raw files) from it?
A-HDR is jpeg only. You can save the median exposure to RAW as normally done with the exposure compensation button before taking another shot or turning the camera off. A-HDR is programmed to use the widest possible aperture, however, so that is what you will get. If you want something stopped down, you'll have to take another shot.

Last edited by Marktax; 04-02-2015 at 10:53 AM.
04-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #41
Veteran Member

A-HDR is jpeg only. You can save the median exposure to RAW as normally done with the exposure compensation button before taking another shot or turning the camera off. A-HDR is programmed to use the widest possible aperture, however, so that is what you will get. If you want something stopped down, you'll have to take another shot.
Thank you - good to know.
04-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #42

It is the official Pentax adapter.
I've read that's the best. How do you find focusing them on the K-S2? I'm guessing the focusing screen lacks any manual focusing aids. Do you use live view?
04-02-2015, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

I've read that's the best. How do you find focusing them on the K-S2? I'm guessing the focusing screen lacks any manual focusing aids. Do you use live view?
No, I just rely on these eyeballs, and the focus confirmation beep helps, too.

Live view is helpful for extremely wide apertures (f/1.4), dim light, and odd angles, but other than that, I prefer the viewfinder. Just remember to open up those m42 lenses, because there is no auto aperture actuation.
04-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #44

No, I just rely on these eyeballs, and the focus confirmation beep helps, too.

Live view is helpful for extremely wide apertures (f/1.4), dim light, and odd angles, but other than that, I prefer the viewfinder. Just remember to open up those m42 lenses, because there is no auto aperture actuation.
That's interesting. I've read a lot of complaints from people who are frustrated by the lack of focusing aids in the viewfinder and subsequently complaining about how dim the viewfinder becomes when they replace the focusing screen with one that has such aids.

Thanks for sharing.
04-02-2015, 03:55 PM   #45
Veteran Member

That's interesting. I've read a lot of complaints from people who are frustrated by the lack of focusing aids in the viewfinder and subsequently complaining about how dim the viewfinder becomes when they replace the focusing screen with one that has such aids.

Thanks for sharing.
Good thoughts. With my K-30, I did purchase a third-party screen with a split-prism. It was a great focusing aid, but it did dim the viewfinder. After two years of shooting nothing but manual lenses on the K-30 (and about one year with the split-prism screen), though, I decided I would forego the split-prism screen on the K-S2 and see how far I could get on just the technique I had developed. So far, so good, and I appreciate the brighter viewfinder.