Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2015, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am still in the process of comparing (for my own satisfaction) the K-S2 with the K-3 and K-30. So far, this sentence from the Pentax Forum's own review still carries some weight, at least with respect to IQ:

"While we harbor a few disappointments here and there about what might have been, we feel that the K-30 is simply the best dSLR that Pentax has ever made."

The newest K-S2 features are of course compelling, and it is the camera that I now carry habitually around town. But were I to go on a serious photo-vacation with only one body, I undoubtedly would take the K-3 with an Eye-Fi card in slot 2 to get such photos as I might want into the cellphone for further upload. The K-30 has the most comfortable grip and unassailable IQ, so it remains a compelling camera. No need to feel bad about sticking with a K-30.

03-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #17
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Having the Siggy already, investing in the 16-85 may not make sense.
Unless you want weather resistance.

---------- Post added 03-31-15 at 09:30 AM ----------

plan on bringing a tripod (going to Italy this summer) and bringing ND filters for longer exposures. But, the -3 EV AF could be useful for indoor shots, when the light isn't optimal.
Wouldn't your K-3 do for this?
03-30-2015, 10:59 PM   #18

Is the total AF performance better on the K-s2 Compared to the k-30? Aside from the low light performance.
03-31-2015, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I plan on bringing a tripod (going to Italy this summer) and bringing ND filters for longer exposures. But, the -3 EV AF could be useful for indoor shots, when the light isn't optimal.

You raise a good point. Having the Siggy already, investing in the 16-85 may not make sense.
Before my K-3, I had a K-30. I don't recall any situation for indoor shots where the K-30 couldn't lock AF on a subject so my reason for upgrading was not linked to low-light AF capability. Sure, you could run into a situation where you need -3 EV but at that light level, it would be rare to get a meaningful picture anyway... even with a tripod.

03-31-2015, 05:52 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm pleading the fifth!

Actually, I think that the K-S2 would be an excellent travel camera. Small, compact and even wi-fi/NFC.

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Wouldn't your K-3 do for this?
04-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Before my K-3, I had a K-30. I don't recall any situation for indoor shots where the K-30 couldn't lock AF on a subject so my reason for upgrading was not linked to low-light AF capability. Sure, you could run into a situation where you need -3 EV but at that light level, it would be rare to get a meaningful picture anyway... even with a tripod.
My Sigma 30/1.4 at ISO 3200 will take handheld shots in the dark. I run in to the autofocus system not locking with some regularity.
04-28-2015, 07:26 AM   #22
Veteran Member

This is a great thread for me. Because of my immobility I've been dying for an articulated LCD screen. I came very close to buying a Panasonic P&S or a Fuji X30 for this very reason.

As far as image quality I will never part with my K-5IIs and DA* lenses. We also have a K-30 which rivals the K-5IIs in IQ. The new K-S2 looks like just the ticket for me to replace the K-30.

But I hate paying introductory price - guess I will stand by and watch for the price to come down a little.
05-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
We also have a K-30 which rivals the K-5IIs in IQ..
Interesting. Same sensor in both but no AA filter for the 5iis, yet you still think the K-30 is better?
Can you show an example?

05-03-2015, 04:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Interesting. Same sensor in both but no AA filter for the 5iis, yet you still think the K-30 is better?
Can you show an example?
What I meant was the K-30 comes close to the K-5iis - but not better.
11-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I upgraded from K-30 to K-S2 very recently, and I agree with everything Adam said. The grip is smaller and more blocky, not as contoured, so it does take a different formulation of my fingers to hold. I'm a woman, so my hands are smaller than the typical man's, so that's probably going to help me out. I'm still not used to the grip, but the balance/weight of the camera is excellent. It is overall less "superfluous" in design elements than the K-30, which may be slightly less aesthetically pleasing, but it does make a nice bundle for holding. The buttons (especially on the four-way controller) are "flatter" than the K-30's, and sometimes I find myself "missing" the button, or I think I'm pressing it, but really I'm just pushing on some non-button part of the back of the camera.

The viewfinder seems about the same, maybe a little brighter. The LCD is significantly clearer and smoother in live view. The updated menus are appreciated. The added features of the articulated LCD and Wi-Fi are, obviously, bad ass.

I haven't pushed the images yet, but the RAW files seem very comparable to the K-30's, which I was very happy with.

The shutter may be SLIGHTLY quieter, but not by much.

I've only had the K-S2 for three days, but I do intend to keep the K-30 on the shelf as a just-in-case. I don't see the point in selling my K-30, since it has nearly 70k shutter actuations, and I've dropped it enough that it has significant cracks.
Thank you. How you compare low light AF?
Leo
11-08-2015, 02:53 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Thanks to the contributors on this thread, my Mothers looking at upgrading her K-r (which she had off of me) to either the K50 or K-S2, there has been some good comments here which has helped.

Cheers, Steve
11-08-2015, 08:45 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I would recommend either as they are both great cameras, but you can't go wrong with a K-50 for the current price