Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2015, 05:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any upgraders from K30/K50 to K-S2?

Hi,

Have any of you upgraded from the k30/K50 to a K-S2? If so, what do you think? In your opinion, is it worth the upgrade, assuming you'll be selling the older model at what you can get?

Thanks

03-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Thinking the same here, problem is, my K-30's on-board flash button fell somewhere... I will have a hard time selling my unit.
03-27-2015, 07:41 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Hi,

Have any of you upgraded from the k30/K50 to a K-S2? If so, what do you think? In your opinion, is it worth the upgrade, assuming you'll be selling the older model at what you can get?

Thanks
I have both the K-50 and the K-S2 at the moment, and I'd say that it is certainly worth upgrading. The K-S2 is better in every respect except for the fact that it has a slightly smaller grip, so it's not quite as comfortable to hold. It also doesn't take AA batteries.

Improvements include better resolution, the articulating screen with a 3:2 aspect ratio, a facelifted menu system, low-light AF to -3 EV, more in-camera processing options (i.e. clarity enhancement and an "auto" setting for vignetting correction), and most importantly, built-in Wi-Fi that makes remote shooting a breeze. It feels more modern and more responsive than the K-50, which is exactly how a new camera should feel, IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-27-2015, 08:05 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Adam, is the K-S2 shutter significantly quieter than the K30/50?

03-27-2015, 08:16 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I upgraded from K-30 to K-S2 very recently, and I agree with everything Adam said. The grip is smaller and more blocky, not as contoured, so it does take a different formulation of my fingers to hold. I'm a woman, so my hands are smaller than the typical man's, so that's probably going to help me out. I'm still not used to the grip, but the balance/weight of the camera is excellent. It is overall less "superfluous" in design elements than the K-30, which may be slightly less aesthetically pleasing, but it does make a nice bundle for holding. The buttons (especially on the four-way controller) are "flatter" than the K-30's, and sometimes I find myself "missing" the button, or I think I'm pressing it, but really I'm just pushing on some non-button part of the back of the camera.

The viewfinder seems about the same, maybe a little brighter. The LCD is significantly clearer and smoother in live view. The updated menus are appreciated. The added features of the articulated LCD and Wi-Fi are, obviously, bad ass.

I haven't pushed the images yet, but the RAW files seem very comparable to the K-30's, which I was very happy with.

The shutter may be SLIGHTLY quieter, but not by much.

I've only had the K-S2 for three days, but I do intend to keep the K-30 on the shelf as a just-in-case. I don't see the point in selling my K-30, since it has nearly 70k shutter actuations, and I've dropped it enough that it has significant cracks.
03-28-2015, 03:39 AM   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@Adam's point is that the extra features in the K-S2 are a significant upgrade from K-50/K-30, but what about image quality?

@THoog did an ingenious comparison between the K-x, K-01, K-30 and K-S1: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/283229-comparison-be...k-50-k-s1.html
His summary: "My conclusion was ... that the K-S1 has more detail in good light. In poor light, it has more noise, but it's of the luminance variety, and fairly easy to clean up without loss of detail."
Since the sensor in the K-S2 is the same as in the K-S1, the results should be comparable.

In this test (shot indoors) the K-30 produced better results than the K-S2 and K-3: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3808815

Personally I would like to see the results of more comprehensive tests before concluding that the K-S2 is a worthwhile upgrade for IQ alone. Especially given its high price at present.

Last edited by Des; 03-29-2015 at 03:09 PM.
03-28-2015, 07:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Adam and severalsnakes you are about to knock me off this fence.
I had sworn that the K-5 was the last dslr I would ever need/want, my purchase of a k-01 doesn't count

03-28-2015, 09:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I had sworn that the K-5 was the last dslr I would ever need/want, my purchase of a k-01 doesn't count
But the K-S2 is so cooooool! ^_^
03-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Exactly, they are pushing me off the fence too making me think I should put my K30 up for sale. It's a bit tough given what a lightly used k30 would fetch vs what a k-s2 costs.

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote

Last edited by Spodeworld; 03-29-2015 at 02:29 PM.
03-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a bit tough given what a lightly used k30 would fetch vs what a k-s2 costs.
Do you really want to pay the early-adopter premium? By the end of the year the K-S2 will have dropped by a couple of hundred. Sure the K-30 will drop on the second hand market too, but not by very much.
03-29-2015, 03:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Do you really want to pay the early-adopter premium? By the end of the year the K-S2 will have dropped by a couple of hundred. Sure the K-30 will drop on the second hand market too, but not by very much.
I really did consider that, but I'm really enjoying the "bonus" time I have with the K-S2. I took it out with the kit lens today and I'll be uploading those images to Flickr later this evening.

A couple hundred? I don't regret it. :-) I had a little stash saved up, so I went for it!

You can talk yourself into it or out of it, but really it just boils down to whether you want to or not.
03-29-2015, 04:02 PM   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are getting your money's worth Sara.
03-29-2015, 04:52 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
There in lies the dilemma .

Actually, what I am trying to decide between is the new 16-85 and stick with the k30 for a while, or get the k-s2 and the 16-85 later. I want to get both eventually, but they're both a bit pricey at this point in time (I have the 17-70 Siggy C). The improved low light AF of the k-s2 just sounds very attractive as does the range and WR of the new lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote

Last edited by Spodeworld; 03-30-2015 at 04:19 AM.
03-30-2015, 05:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

There in lies the dilemma .

Actually, what I am trying to decide between is the new 16-85 and stick with the k30 for a while, or get the k-s2 and the 16-85 later. I want to get both eventually, but they're both a bit pricey at this point in time (I have the 17-70 Siggy C). The improved low light AF of the k-s2 just sounds very attractive as does the range and WR of the new lens.
Do you take long exposure shots of static subjects from a tripod? I ask because -3 EV AF capability is only relevant to that kind of shot (from my experience). Also, I'm not sure the DA 16-85 is much of an upgrade from the Sigma 17-70 C. The Sigma is one sharp lens.
03-30-2015, 06:30 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I plan on bringing a tripod (going to Italy this summer) and bringing ND filters for longer exposures. But, the -3 EV AF could be useful for indoor shots, when the light isn't optimal.

You raise a good point. Having the Siggy already, investing in the 16-85 may not make sense.

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Do you take long exposure shots of static subjects from a tripod? I ask because -3 EV AF capability is only relevant to that kind of shot (from my experience). Also, I'm not sure the DA 16-85 is much of an upgrade from the Sigma 17-70 C. The Sigma is one sharp lens.