Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2015, 02:32 AM   #1

Pentax K-2S: Where can I report some issues with the K-S2?

Hi,

Where can I report some issues with the K-S2?
I encountered some issues with the Pentax K-S2 which I would like to report to Pentax, so they may adress these issues in a new firmware version:

1. The photo's are too bright, I have to use exposure compensation to compensate with -0.7 or -1.0 . No matter what lens I use. I don't have this problem with my K-30.
  2. Bright highlights are really blown out, even with exposure compensation set to -0.7 or -1.0
  3. When using the built-in-flash with Auto ISO, the camera uses the highest ISO available. So if I set Auto ISO from 100-3200, it uses ISO 3200. The Pentax K-30 uses ISO 400 most of the time, even if my highest AUTO ISO setting is ISO 3200.
  4. When using the new clarity enhancement feature (which is a great feature by the way), burst shooting is not possible. This is not mentioned in the manual. The manual shows a table (page 117 in the dutch manual) with features you can not use with certain settings, but there is no mark (x) at burst shooting.
I have one wish for the firmware: I like the Auto ISO sensitivity setting option on the K-3 where you can choose the sensitivity of the Auto ISO setting. I hope this will come to the K-S2 in a new firmware.

But, other than these 4 issues, the Pentax K-S2 is a great camera. The pictures are really sharp thanks to removing the AA-filter.
I also like the fully articulated screen, very usefull when shooting really low or high.

I tried a Pentax K-3 for a couple of days after buying it, but I was not happy with the results compared to my Pentax K-30. So I returned it to the store.
I like the Pentax K-S2 is a lot better than the K-3 I tried, especially at higher ISO. The K-30 is slightly better at higher ISO, but the K-S2 is a lot sharper overall.

I hope these 4 issues can be fixed in a new firmware.
And if so, I will like this camera even more

Regards,
Peter

04-08-2015, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pkerkh69 Quote
I tried a Pentax K-3 for a couple of days after buying it, but I was not happy with the results compared to my Pentax K-30. So I returned it to the store.
The photo's are too bright, I have to use exposure compensation to compensate with -0.7 or -1.0 . No matter what lens I use. I don't have this problem with my K-30.
Based on these statements I'm inclined to think that your camera is misconfigured (the same goes for the K-3, because it's got even more settings). Are you in matrix metering mode? Feel free to attach some samples and we will take a look.

But it's also possible that there's something wrong with the camera. If the shutter/mirror mechanism is defective, the exposure can be way off. This happened with the first K-S1 I tested, so I had to get a replacement. An easy way to test this would be to go to M mode, reduce the shutter speed by 1-2 stops, and see if the two shots differ in exposure by the same amount. If not, then you might be looking at a defect.

When using the new clarity enhancement feature (which is a great feature by the way), burst shooting is not possible. This is not mentioned in the manual. The manual shows a table (page 117 in the dutch manual) with features you can not use with certain settings, but there is no mark (x) at burst shooting.
Right, because it would take too long (2 seconds of processing after each frame = not burst anymore). But great observation!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-08-2015, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To be honest, I'm coming from a K-30 and I would also describe the images as "too bright" - in fact, I did so in the review I posted here at PF! - and I agree that highlights seem blown out, overall.

I have sort of resolved this in Lightroom by adapting my post-processing technique. I also crank the EV compensation down the -1.0 for my out-and-about snaps, just to get exposures that are comparable to what I would expect from the K-30. I'm just a hobbyist, but I used my camera a lot - I shoot every day. Manual lenses and RAW files. With the K-30 I was getting to a place where I barely had to check the LCD after a shot to know it was exposed how I wanted. There's a new learning curve for the K-S2.

I assume this is just one of the quirks/differences of a new camera/sensor, but maybe there's some sort of firmware update to resolve it? For me, for now, I assume that there's nothing wrong with the camera. It's just a new tool to be mastered. I wonder if there are others who have similar experience...
04-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I assume this is just one of the quirks/differences of a new camera/sensor, but maybe there's some sort of firmware update to resolve it?
It's got the same metering system, so apart from the sensor's increased resolution and slight tweaks to the JPEG engine here and there, I'd really expect the results to be quite similar when it comes to exposure. Perhaps there's a minor bug in the K-S2 that's waiting to be fixed!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-08-2015, 06:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Does the histogram give you an accurate read out?
04-12-2015, 04:21 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Hi,

Where can I report some issues with the K-S2?
I encountered some issues with the Pentax K-S2 which I would like to report to Pentax, so they may adress these issues in a new firmware version:

1. The photo's are too bright, I have to use exposure compensation to compensate with -0.7 or -1.0 . No matter what lens I use. I don't have this problem with my K-30.
  2. Bright highlights are really blown out, even with exposure compensation set to -0.7 or -1.0
  3. When using the built-in-flash with Auto ISO, the camera uses the highest ISO available. So if I set Auto ISO from 100-3200, it uses ISO 3200. The Pentax K-30 uses ISO 400 most of the time, even if my highest AUTO ISO setting is ISO 3200.
  4. When using the new clarity enhancement feature (which is a great feature by the way), burst shooting is not possible. This is not mentioned in the manual. The manual shows a table (page 117 in the dutch manual) with features you can not use with certain settings, but there is no mark (x) at burst shooting.
I have one wish for the firmware: I like the Auto ISO sensitivity setting option on the K-3 where you can choose the sensitivity of the Auto ISO setting. I hope this will come to the K-S2 in a new firmware.

But, other than these 4 issues, the Pentax K-S2 is a great camera. The pictures are really sharp thanks to removing the AA-filter.
I also like the fully articulated screen, very usefull when shooting really low or high.

I like the Pentax K-S2 is a lot better than the K-3 I tried, especially at higher ISO. The K-30 is slightly better at higher ISO, but the K-S2 is a lot sharper overall.

I hope these 4 issues can be fixed in a new firmware.
And if so, I will like this camera even more

Regards,
Peter
1. My Ks-2 is too bright / over exposed on auto. setting ev -1 stop mostly cures it.
2. I seem to get an intermittent ghosting issue when I turn clarity on.
04-13-2015, 06:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

By way of confirming other impressions, the K-S2 definitely overexposes by 1/3 to 2/3. I keep the EV on -1/3 (at least) all the time, and adjust it to -2/3 as needed. Needing to check while shooting is an inconvenience, but even when I don't check the camera holds shadow detail well enough I can fix any underexposure later.

04-13-2015, 07:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Strange this overexposure, so far Pentax strategy was rather underexposure.
Hmm, to buy or not to buy K-s2? This is my current dilemma.
04-13-2015, 10:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
By way of confirming other impressions, the K-S2 definitely overexposes by 1/3 to 2/3. I keep the EV on -1/3 (at least) all the time, and adjust it to -2/3 as needed. Needing to check while shooting is an inconvenience, but even when I don't check the camera holds shadow detail well enough I can fix any underexposure later.
Agreed!

---------- Post added 04-13-15 at 12:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Strange this overexposure, so far Pentax strategy was rather underexposure.
Hmm, to buy or not to buy K-s2? This is my current dilemma.
I absolutely do not regret replacing the K-30 with the K-S2. I say go for it!
04-13-2015, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I absolutely do not regret replacing the K-30 with the K-S2. I say go for it!
Who's talking about replacing. Adding sounds like a better plan.
04-14-2015, 05:36 AM   #11

Original Poster
Well, it seems that more users have the same problem with over exposing and blown out highlights. So it is not just my camera.

When using the built-in-flash with Auto ISO, the camera uses the highest ISO available. So if I set Auto ISO from 100-3200, it uses ISO 3200. The Pentax K-30 uses ISO 400 most of the time, even if my highest AUTO ISO setting is ISO 3200.
Can anyone else confirm this issue?
04-14-2015, 06:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Can anyone else confirm this issue?
I can check that between K-30/K-3/K-S2 tonight . . .

Regarding overexposure, I've always felt ±1/3 was within reasonable manufacturing tolerance, easily fixed with the EV dial. Consistent overexposure even by 2/3 or 1, however, is still so far within the EV-dial range of ±5 stops that it hardly seems an issue. Just dial in -2/3 and forget about it.
04-14-2015, 05:53 PM   #13

Today was the hottest and brightest sunny day to date. I took these on the walk from work to the station, they all ok.
2015-04-14-Petty France to Waterloo
04-14-2015, 09:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

There is a new firmware (v1.01); although not specifically mentioned, it might address some of the issues.
04-14-2015, 10:28 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
There is a new firmware (v1.01); although not specifically mentioned, it might address some of the issues.
Where can I find this firmware?
I can't find it on the firmware page: Downloads & Literature - RICOH Imaging