Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DigitalRev TV review of K-S2 vs D5500

Here's their first Pentax review in a couple years. Joy.
And in DigitalRev TV trend, it's a comparison review instead of a stand alone review like they do with all the other brands.

Last edited by geomez; 04-08-2015 at 12:53 PM.
04-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Funny if nothing else.
04-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #3
Forum Member

Boring and annoying "review" by two nitwits, not because they bash the Pentax camera's but for their general "reviews" who normally add nothing new!
Waste of time and intellect to fully view their review
04-09-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find them entertaining and I don't see a problem with the review other than it's a bit superficial. But they make reviews for casual shooters and not for pros, I think that's pretty obvious.
It basically makes some fair points - the D5500 has a better sensor and the Nikon kit lens is a little bit better than the Pentax kit lens, even if the Pentax kit lens is quite a bit smaller (also pointed out in the review, where they call the Nikon kit lens big and fat) They also mention video which is an Aquiles heel of Pentaxes.
I don't find anything unfair in what they said. The water throwing on the K-S2 is a good highlight for the Pentax.

04-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree. Not a review for a pro, but these aren't pro cameras either. He points out good and bad about each. Fair enough.

I am a bit surprised to see the new kit lens doesn't perform as well though.
04-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
I agree. Not a review for a pro, but these aren't pro cameras either. He points out good and bad about each. Fair enough.

I am a bit surprised to see the new kit lens doesn't perform as well though.
My guess is that it has more to do with the Pentax defaulting to a more natural (the Natural?) jpeg preset, and the Nikon default being something that seems to have been created by Ken Rockwell (oversaturated). That's what I got out of the two images being put side by side in the video. I think Nikon oversharpens things by default as well.

Still, the latest Nikon (and Canon and Fuji) kit lenses do seem to perform better than the Pentax kit lens. But that's probably a very small difference and it's not what you saw in the side by side on the video.
04-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
DigitalRev doesn't do scientific reviews. They have fun, joke around, and do a "review". They do reviews like an infotainment media company does news - opinionated, biased, and sloppy. That said they have a huge following online. I watch their stuff but I take it in jest. Some of their stuff is pretty entertaining and to me worth about 10 min a week.
They've always been anti-Pentax. They rarely do reviews of Pentax products, and when they do they don't take the time to explain features, nor to learn the camera. It's always scary/exciting when the do feature Pentax because although their attitude of it ranges from apathy to disdain, they do point out that the brand still exists and have to concede that the cameras are worthwhile. It's also interesting how many of the video's comments are people praising Pentax and how many comments on their other videos are people asking them to review Pentax cameras.
04-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
They've always been anti-Pentax.
That's not true at all, Geomez.

They have favourable opinions despite the very small market share and viewer interest:

Nikon D7100 vs Pentax K-5 II S:

04-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well... there's a couple things to get out of the review.

1) Budweiser is poor excuse for beer
2) Pentax makes a decent camera. People are sheep, and tend to follow the herd to Nikon/Canon/Sony (last comments of the video)
04-12-2015, 08:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
My guess is that it has more to do with the Pentax defaulting to a more natural (the Natural?) jpeg preset, and the Nikon default being something that seems to have been created by Ken Rockwell (oversaturated). That's what I got out of the two images being put side by side in the video. I think Nikon oversharpens things by default as well.

Still, the latest Nikon (and Canon and Fuji) kit lenses do seem to perform better than the Pentax kit lens. But that's probably a very small difference and it's not what you saw in the side by side on the video.
good point on the JPEGs.... I honestly forget that people use those...