Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #1

Pentax K-S2: old flash "Braun 320 BVC" usable?

Hello,

I am considering buying the K-S2 (in a few months when the price is hopefully a bit lower than now). A have a question concerning using an old flash with it (http://62.15.226.148/fot/2008/04/16/8210935.jpg).

Beginning of 2007 I bought a Pentax K10D (kit) that I still use. Later I added a Tamron 18-250 mm 3.5-6.3 (IF) MACRO AS LD Di II and an old flash Braun 2000/320 BVC (the latter bought at a flea market ). The flash has only one contact (trigger) and no other communication with the K10D. On the K10D it can be used in mode "X" with fixed exposure time (1/180 s) and manual aperture. Since the flash has a built-in light meter, choosing aperture is somewhat predictable and when saving images in raw format, the images are in most cases usable. In mode "TAv" I could also take pictures, when exposure time >= 1/180 s. The advantage of mode "X" is that exposure time cannot accidentally be modified.

Although this approach is a little bit cumbersome compared to using (more expensive) recent flashes, it results usually in much better images than with the built-in flash (especially when tilting the external flash towards a white wall).

I saw that the K-S2 seems to have no "X" on the mode dial. Is there a show stopper that prevents me using such an old flash with the K-S2?

Thanks

N8igall

PS:
I consider upgrading to K-S2 for the following reasons:
- noise at low light
- improving low light performance of auto-focus (especially when using external flash)
- improving auto-focus in general
The swiveling LCD, wifi and movie functionality is a nice add-on (the K10D has none of these features).

04-16-2015, 05:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by n8igall Quote
I saw that the K-S2 seems to have no "X" on the mode dial. Is there a show stopper that prevents me using such an old flash with the K-S2?
For manual/auto flashes on bodies with no X mode, I've always used M (Manual) mode, and set the shutter speed to 1/180 (or 1/160 if I didn't feel like changing the custom setting for EV steps).