Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #1

K-S2 Video Rolling Shutter?

I am down to deciding between the K-S2 and the Nikon D5500. Both solid cameras, and both have the pros and cons. But one point that I can't seem to find a lot of input on is the video quality of the K-S2.

I have watched dozens of Youtube videos, and only a fraction of them show real world video samples. I have noticed what appears to be a slight 'jello effect' of the rolling shutter that used to plague camera phones. I wouldn't expect it to be on a camera of this level.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? And have samples to back it up? While shooting video would never be my first priority with a still camera, situations do arise, especially with the kids. Constantly moving around chasing kids is something that rolling shutter effects would definitely be a deal killer.

04-28-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pidge1114 Quote
I am down to deciding between the K-S2 and the Nikon D5500. Both solid cameras, and both have the pros and cons. But one point that I can't seem to find a lot of input on is the video quality of the K-S2.

I have watched dozens of Youtube videos, and only a fraction of them show real world video samples. I have noticed what appears to be a slight 'jello effect' of the rolling shutter that used to plague camera phones. I wouldn't expect it to be on a camera of this level.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? And have samples to back it up? While shooting video would never be my first priority with a still camera, situations do arise, especially with the kids. Constantly moving around chasing kids is something that rolling shutter effects would definitely be a deal killer.
Yes, there is a slight rolling shutter effect. The K-S2's video mode is the same as what's in earlier Pentax models, so refer to these pages for samples/findings:

Pentax K-50 Review - Movie/Video Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Pentax K-3 Review - Movie/Video Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-28-2015, 11:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pidge1114 Quote
Constantly moving around chasing kids is something that rolling shutter effects would definitely be a deal killer.
Rolling shutter affects all CMOS sensors.
Are you aware that there is no fast AF during video? So this wouldn't be a good choice for DSLR video.
The Jello you may have seen in samples online is more likely due to the digital shake reduction (MovieSR) that Pentax uses in video mode.