Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #1

Is the KS-2 a quantum leap from the K-r?

Hi, I'm thinking to upgrade from the K-r. I love my K-r. It's fun and cheerful and it produces beautiful images, however my unit is plagued with a sticky mirror mechanism and the autofocus accuracy should have been a lot better. These are the very two reasons I'm let down by my K-r.

Will the KS-2 be a good upgrade with respect to these issues, and is the shutter sound quieter? If there are anyone of you who upgraded from the K-r, please share what did you notice better or different with the KS-2.

Regards

05-10-2015, 06:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Ks-2 are still expensive, they're demanding used K3 money at the moment. Perhaps its time to make the jump to the "advanced" amateur photography...
05-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

yes and currently you will pay for that leap! I have a k-r and enjoy it very much even use it more often than my k-50 (which might be a good consideration for you) because I shoot mostly time lapses and racking up the shutter count on it plus the smaller file size to deal with is a plus
05-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-S2's shutter is certainly louder than the K-3 or K-5, but I can't compare it to the K-r.

On the other hand....
I suspect it will focus faster and better, and in much lower light
It will give much better results at high ISO
It has considerably better resolution and a selectable anti-aliasing simulator
It is Weather Resistant and has two control wheels
It has a flip screen, and native WiFi and NFC, allowing wireless tethering without a FluCard

On the down side, it won't work with AA batteries.

05-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Something about the K-S2. Maybe it's the size, the new display logic and articulating screen, the quick focusing... something makes me choose it from my hoard of Pentax bodies almost every time I leave home. It used to be the K-01 that did this, but I'd still take my K-3 a lot of the time. I have put together a really compact kit with limiteds and also the nifty new kit lens, and it makes a very portable package. I just like messing with the K-S2. A lot. Plus, I love that sensor and the reduced file size (over the K-3). Color rendition is awesome.
05-12-2015, 06:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I cannot comment on a KR but I did have the KX and the KS 2 is a much more solid feeling camera. I feel that shutter, while louder than the K3 is quieter than the KX shutter was. High ISO performance is much better as well as processing speed. It has been fun to use and my K3 and K5IIs have not seen much love lately since the Ks 2 came along.
05-12-2015, 10:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
As long as it's more reliable than the K-r in terms of autofocus and the flipping mirror issue, I guess I'm in. Thanks everyone!
05-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
I cannot comment on a KR but I did have the KX and the KS 2 is a much more solid feeling camera. I feel that shutter, while louder than the K3 is quieter than the KX shutter was. High ISO performance is much better as well as processing speed. It has been fun to use and my K3 and K5IIs have not seen much love lately since the Ks 2 came along.
I found the same in comparing my KX to my K-S2.

06-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Many of the K-s2 leaps are less vital to me - but size matters! The K-r sensor only lost favor when the sweet-16 came out, but 20Mpx and no AA would be nice. I'd prefer tip screen to flip, personally, and video/wifi are cool items that I seldom make use of with K-r or NX300.

My question to those who have tried both: how does the K-s2 feel in hand relative to the K-r? Grip depth, buttons and the like. I'll drop in at Portland's superstore (CameraWorld) and give it a squeeze one day - but I'd leave the wallet in my wife's hands

---------- Post added 06-05-15 at 10:08 ----------

FWIW - camerasize comparison - definitely a more 'square' form in many ways, including the look of the grip from above. How that translates isn't clear though.

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 06-05-2015 at 11:13 AM.
06-10-2015, 08:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I was very happy with my K-x, a tiny and cheerful camera in wonderful Marin Blue colour. But, I decided to switch to the K-S2 because I also had the K10D and I wanted a two-in-one camera - with the K-S2 I feel that I got just that: both an easy to use beginners camera with fun auto modes, and an advanced tool for photo enthusiasts. I haven't used a K-3 but I believe it's similar in size and operation as the K-x. K-S2 is thicker with a beefier handgrip, it works well even with large and heavy zooms. My DA 17-70 f4 was unpleasant on the K-x, it felt like a lens with a camera attached. Now with the K-S2, I really enjoy using the 17-70 - this is a much more balanced combination. K-S2 feels more solid and professional than the K-x, but it's still a DSLR on the smaller side. Shutter sound as a different tone to it, sounds as lower in pitch and yes perhaps lower in volume, feels more close to the K10D shutter sound. K-S2 feels very fast and nice to use.