Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2015, 05:42 AM   #61
k22
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 126
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentigor Quote
Hello everybody,


I read about the wifi capability of the K-S2 with a smartphone and ipad and so on, but I don't have a smartphone... I have a laptop, can I make a connection with the K-S2?


Thank you for your input,




Igor
Anybody see this?
Pentax-K-S2-WiFiRemote download | SourceForge.net

12-16-2015, 12:58 PM   #62
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2015
Location: New Orleans
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 301
it's the same one different link. Version 1.0.2
12-31-2015, 03:32 AM   #63
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2
Windows Phone Source Code

Hello attached i tried to create Application for Windows Phone using Visual Basic in my trial VS Community 2015, it is my first attempt for WP application, so lets call it just test. My skill level is really low, but nevertheless I reach it to make at least Picture and show last one image.
I am providing whole source and hope some one can improove or totaly rebuild it .I think it is good challenge for everyone who wants to try new things .
- add live view (I was unable to get it working - using relevant url I just switched camera to remote control mode instead of liveview)
- add image browsing by finger move (right / left) on the screen (getting whole file list tooks long time and it crashed so I went by way of getting just last one, maybe some timeout settings or another mothod would help)
- add settings

If there is some one with MS Developer account then it is possible to place it to store. Tested with lumia 630.

Update 3.1.2016:
Trying to implement settings, currently able read it but problem with posting them, I would ask czielke for support with structure of data to be sent. I would save me hours of testing :-). If you can give me a hint with liveview it would be great :-)

Update 6.1.2016:
Settings is done, but live view is still missing , someone to help? :-)

Update 11.1.2016:
Found Aforge Video dll (AForge.NET :: Framework Features - Access to JPEG and MJPEG video streams), using which am able to get liveview on Windows Form (means desktop), but not at Windows Phone.
Another one MJPEG Decoder (http://mjpeg.codeplex.com/releases/view/98065), should be also awailable for WP8, but I can not get it work due to ... Reference required to assembly 'System.Windows, Version=2.0.6.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e' containing the type 'BitmapImage'. Add one to your project

Code:
Code:
Imports MjpegProcessor
Code:
Dim liveview As New MjpegDecoder
Code:
    Private Sub MainPage_Loaded(sender As Object, e As RoutedEventArgs) Handles Me.Loaded
AddHandler liveview.FrameReady, AddressOf liveview_NewFrame
End Sub
Code:
    Private Sub button_Click(sender As Object, e As RoutedEventArgs) Handles button.Click
liveview.ParseStream(New Uri("http://192.168.0.1/v1/liveview"))
End Sub

Private Sub button1_Click(sender As Object, e As RoutedEventArgs) Handles button1.Click
liveview.StopStream()
End Sub

Public Sub liveview_NewFrame(sender As Object, e As FrameReadyEventArgs)
IMG_PHOTO.Source = e.BitmapImage
End Sub
Hope someone can help :-)
Attachment updated, above codes are marked as comments.


Thank You
M@
Attached Files
File Type: zip App2.zip (2.56 MB, 6 views)

Last edited by Jezam; 01-11-2016 at 02:35 PM. Reason: update
01-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #64
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 92
Hi, brand new to this forum. However, Brownie photographer since about 1952 and manager/curator of The Verizzo Family Photo Estate. Son and grandson of professional and military photographers. As if that matters.....

Been doing digital since ca. 2000. Immersed myself, 2mp Oly back then, then Minolta D7, A1, A2. Then eventually went back to film because it is more fun. YMMV.

Anyway, my A2 is dropping functions as time goes by. And I know that my stupid phone now takes better pictures. Better internal processing. I just bought a Pentax K-S2, not yet arrived. Two reasons I chose that upgrade, I have a LOT of Pentax and Ricoh film lenses, and after owning an A1 and A2, I ain't never not having a flip LCD. Not many options there.

Which brings me up to the wifi capabilities.....or, not. One thing I've grown to appreciate on my Windows Phone is that I can take a picture, and when I happen to wander into a wifi source that I'm pre-logged into, it uploads images to my OneDrive account, locally and in the cloud.

As I've looked at both the K-S2 manual, and this thread, It appears that Pentax doesn't get this. Oh, yeah, sure, I want to use my phone to be a remote control. Bzzzzzt.............. Admitting a level of defeat, I have bought a $20 used Android to get those basic Pentax functions. But really, I just want to be able to do what my phone does.

I'm sorry if I can't scroll up and acknowledge the poster above who has gotten some WP Pentax wifi functions. I am unable to contribute, I know nothing about programming and code. If I can help you, please ask!

K-mount since 1982............

Paul Verizzo


Last edited by Parallax; 01-11-2016 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Personal site link removed
01-10-2016, 08:03 PM   #65
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,236
QuoteOriginally posted by paulvzo Quote
One thing I've grown to appreciate on my Windows Phone is that I can take a picture, and when I happen to wander into a wifi source that I'm pre-logged into, it uploads images to my OneDrive account, locally and in the cloud.
Are you going to be shooting RAW? The difference in file size between the JPEG files stored on your phone and the RAW files your new K-S2 will produce is big enough to make on-the-go wi-fi transfer impractical. Don't compare the K-S2 to a phone camera, compare it to the film cameras you have been using. If you want a one-touch download and backup your images function from the K-S2, there are ways to accomplish that, but you may want to do some pre-processing before you upload tens or hundreds of gigabytes of image data to the cloud. Unless you have a fibre-optic connection to the Internet, slow upload speeds will mean that uploading RAW images will take so long you won't catch up to your picture taking.
01-11-2016, 05:06 AM   #66
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 92
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Are you going to be shooting RAW? The difference in file size between the JPEG files stored on your phone and the RAW files your new K-S2 will produce is big enough to make on-the-go wi-fi transfer impractical. Don't compare the K-S2 to a phone camera, compare it to the film cameras you have been using. If you want a one-touch download and backup your images function from the K-S2, there are ways to accomplish that, but you may want to do some pre-processing before you upload tens or hundreds of gigabytes of image data to the cloud. Unless you have a fibre-optic connection to the Internet, slow upload speeds will mean that uploading RAW images will take so long you won't catch up to your picture taking.
Thanks for those thoughts. The thing is, if one's camera/phone automatically off-loads, speed may not matter so much. Wander home, get in range, go fix dinner or a Scotch, it's done when you are. Well, maybe, of course. I'm obviously not referring to a hard day's shooting but a few dozen here or there.

I'll say that most of my photos won't deserve RAW. Of course, there are those that will, and I'm ready to do USB for them.

I don't know the RAW file size for the S2, but if it's a linear extraction from my 8mp ones, it would be about 25mb. With today's broadband and/or wifi, that's nothing.

I confess my phones with camera are my only experiences with cameras having a wifi or OTA data connection. What do other brands offer in wifi connecting? Same limited remote control? Off-loading, automatic or manual? The Pentax manual, indeed, is not real clear outside of the remote control thing. The number of photographers who might find that useful, pales, I'm sure, compared to just off-loading.
01-11-2016, 10:20 AM   #67
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 216
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentigor Quote
Hello everybody,


I read about the wifi capability of the K-S2 with a smartphone and ipad and so on, but I don't have a smartphone... I have a laptop, can I make a connection with the K-S2?


Thank you for your input,




Igor
you can, but you will need a pc app the way we have app for android, dont know if pentax has released this. nikon has released its api. and ppl have used it to create software which controls nikon cameras via pc/laptop
01-11-2016, 04:40 PM   #68
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,236
QuoteOriginally posted by paulvzo Quote
I'll say that most of my photos won't deserve RAW.
The paradigm behind RAW files is like making your own prints from negatives. You won't want to share or display your RAW files, but everything your camera recorded will be in those files to be "printed" whenever and however you want. If you need "proofs" of your photos before you have a chance to download the RAW files to your computer and do some processing, then you might want to save as RAW + JPEG. Your K-S2 is capable of storing an incredible amount of detail, you get Pentax's excellent colour rendition, it has a good frame rate for continuous shooting, I could go on, but to my mind, it would be a shame to not store every photo you take as a RAW file. USB transfer is much faster than wi-fi and portable hard drives are inexpensive and relatively reliable.

01-12-2016, 01:10 AM   #69
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2
QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
you can, but you will need a pc app the way we have app for android, dont know if pentax has released this. nikon has released its api. and ppl have used it to create software which controls nikon cameras via pc/laptop
See post from czielke ... Pentax-K-S2-WiFiRemote download | SourceForge.net
01-12-2016, 09:44 AM   #70
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 92
@Pentagor: You can buy decent used Android phones on eBay or $20 or so. There are many phones in the price range, if you are searching by price, that are damaged or not working. But the gems are in there. Make sure it has the battery and back plate, many don't. And charger if you don't have one for the connection type.

I'm hoping against hope that with the OneDrive app installed into the Android, I might get some auto-transfer. We'll see.

(I use Windows Phone. Like every brand, some disadvantages. But after LIve Tiles, for one example, I could never go back to Dead Icons.)
01-12-2016, 10:59 AM   #71
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 216
QuoteOriginally posted by Jezam Quote
This is excellent then...
01-13-2016, 12:40 AM   #72
New Member
czielke's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 15
Hi there!

Sorry for being away for some time. I answered the personal mail from Jezam, but I'm afraid, that I can't help very mutch. My Phone is a Android version. Anyway... here is the answer I wrote, so that anybody can read it:

"Hello Jezam,

sorry for the late reply. I'm not very familiar with Windows Mobile. I have only an Android Phone, so I guess I can not help you mutch with this. The only hint I can give you, is that the liveview is a multipart message. The handling with this is a litte bit different from a standard html reply. If you take a look at the source file "MJPEGSource.cs", you can see the class that handles the liveview. Mainly the function "Workerthread" receives the MJPEG stream and sends every received JPG picture to the main thread. that is almost all you have to handle.
Hope I could give you a hint to bring you on the road again.

Greetings

Claus"
01-13-2016, 11:01 AM   #73
Junior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 48
QuoteOriginally posted by czielke Quote
Hi there!

Sorry for being away for some time. I answered the personal mail from Jezam, but I'm afraid, that I can't help very mutch. My Phone is a Android version. Anyway... here is the answer I wrote, so that anybody can read it:

"Hello Jezam,

sorry for the late reply. I'm not very familiar with Windows Mobile. I have only an Android Phone, so I guess I can not help you mutch with this. The only hint I can give you, is that the liveview is a multipart message. The handling with this is a litte bit different from a standard html reply. If you take a look at the source file "MJPEGSource.cs", you can see the class that handles the liveview. Mainly the function "Workerthread" receives the MJPEG stream and sends every received JPG picture to the main thread. that is almost all you have to handle.
Hope I could give you a hint to bring you on the road again.

Greetings

Claus"
Hi there, your familiarity with Android means you should be able to fix the broken 'Image Sync' Android app then? (Oh how I wish)
01-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #74
Junior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 48
Has anyone managed to run K-S2-Remote in a VM?

I have an XP VM under VirtualBox (Linux) with the Netfx20SP1 installed, but when I try to start K-S2-Remote I get K-S2-Remote.exe is not a valid win32 application (I'm probably stupidly missing something obvious here)
01-18-2016, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,896
It needs Win7 or higher as well as .NET Framework 4.5 to run.

Last edited by Not a Number; 01-18-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
access, address, api, app, camera, devices, internet, k-s1, k-s2, k-s2 wifi, liveview, mac, network, networks, router, wifi
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-2S: Where can I report some issues with the K-S2? pkerkh69 Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 29 09-24-2015 12:53 AM
K-S1 - K-S2 Bounce Flash Performance johnbachel Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 5 03-21-2015 06:30 PM
WiFi for K-3 Ofer Hadas Pentax K-3 3 12-04-2014 09:11 AM
Battery life with Flucard & wifi Mark K5 Pentax K-3 8 04-02-2014 12:10 AM
k-30 & EyeFi WiFi SD 16GB Pro X2 tsvetan Pentax K-30 & K-50 15 06-15-2013 04:13 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:40 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top