Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-S2 wifi with laptop?

Hello everybody,

I read about the wifi capability of the K-S2 with a smartphone and ipad and so on, but I don't have a smartphone... I have a laptop, can I make a connection with the K-S2?

Thank you for your input,

Igor

05-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think you'll need to put a Flucard in it.
05-15-2015, 03:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If the wifi tethering in the K-S2 works like the FLUcard in a K-3, then no app is necessary, because it uses a web browser to control and preview or download images. Someone here with a K-S2 should be able to confirm that or otherwise.
I suggest you check on one of the active user threads for the K-S2 and pm an owner to ask.
05-15-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

My computer can connect to my K-S2 but I don't know where I would direct my browser to communicate with the camera. I tried the flu cards address and several others hoping. I don't know that much about these things. I found the mac address of the k-s2 and typed the hexidecimal in and I tried translating to decimal but those sites didn't work. I would love to know if its possible.I know how to access my network router and I think it would be similar.

05-15-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I found the mac address of the k-s2
I don't have a K-S2, but I think it works as its own wireless server. Did you get the MAC address from the owners manual or by searching for wireless networks? The built-in wireless should broadcast itself, so when you search for available networks with your laptop, your camera will be listed. Then you have to connect to the camera, and once you are connected, open your browser and navigate to the network address indicated in the owners manual (probably 192.168.0.1, but could be something else). The MAC address is only used to identify the physical hardware of the wi-fi adapter itself, which isn't an address in the network.

---------- Post added 05-15-15 at 05:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I know how to access my network router and I think it would be similar
Except that your wi-fi router is also connected to the Internet, and allows devices connected to it to access outside networks (like the Internet) as well as controlling communication between those connected devices. The K-S2 accepts connections to itself, but only communicates with the devices connected to it, and doesn't relay communications from those connected devices anywhere else.
05-16-2015, 04:30 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
If the wifi tethering in the K-S2 works like the FLUcard in a K-3,
I don't think it does, Rob.
05-16-2015, 06:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I don't think it does, Rob.
I suspect you're right, which makes wonder why, but I can't find any tethering app for it in Apple's App Store, or in the downloads section of the Ricoh website pages for the K-S2. Maybe there's a wait for it, as there was for the Pentax FLUcard.

05-16-2015, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I found the following in about three minutes, the bulk of which was spent downloading the User Manual.

The instructions to connect your iOS or Android device to the camera over Wi-Fi begin on page 89 of the User Guide / Manual. Manually there is a set of Menu Items to make the camera broadcast it's SSID. Your device can locate the SSID by enabling search for Wi-Fi Networks in device settings. You instruct your device to join the camera network and remember the Network for future joins when the camera is turned on.

The manual can be downloaded in pdf form from theRicoh Imaging - Japan / English website. The link on the US website is broken.

The app is called 'Image Sync'. I found it instantly in the Apple App Store using the Search function, though there were several non-Ricoh apps 'promoted' above the OEM app. Just scroll until you find 'Image Sync' by Ricoh Imaging. The app allows camera operation with a tablet or phone device.

By reading a couple pages of the User Manual I gather the app appears to operate in a fashion similar to Live View, allows some camera controls, and viewing of images saved on the SD card in the camera.

I suspect your computer can connect to the camera as a node on your network after you set the camera up to broadcast it's SSID and connect it to your network. You can customize the IP Address in the Menu, accept the default and Reset to the default. Look in the Menu to find the default IP Address to enter into your Browser Search Bar. That should allow file viewing over Wi-Fi. Image transfer I suspect will be similar to any other peripheral device that you access through the computer system itself - it probably isn't a browser function - but cabled transfer or direct card transfer is MUCH faster. I don't know whether you can operate the camera by tethering it to your computer and using a browser as you can with the FluCard for Pentax - I didn't read that far in the User Manual - but having that utility would require the camera have FluCard-type software embedded itself.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-16-2015 at 07:37 AM.
05-16-2015, 11:37 AM   #9

Good news - Bad news

I check out the wifi of my S2 by connecting it to my laptop. That is the good news, the bad news is there is no application available that I know of on my Linux machine( or windows come to that) that can communicate with the S2. I would like a way to transfer my files to the laptop using wifi.
05-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you all for your input.
No definite answer yet I understand.
I don't want to download files through wifi, but just to control the camera.

Thanks for your time and input,

Igor
05-16-2015, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
the bad news is there is no application available that I know of on my Linux machine( or windows come to that) that can communicate with the S2
What you need to do is run an Android emulator on your laptop, and then run the Android app within that emulator. As far as I can tell, the K-S2 doesn't use HTML to communicate with mobile devices (unlike the Flu-card), so opening a browser won't be enough. I'm not familiar with Android emulators, but considering that multi-core laptops have far more processing power than smartphones, if the emulator is any good, the experience should be better than using a smartphone. Here is a link to various emulators that I found.
05-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The app is called 'Image Sync'. I found it instantly in the Apple App Store using the Search function, though there were several non-Ricoh apps 'promoted' above the OEM app. Just scroll until you find 'Image Sync' by Ricoh Imaging. The app allows camera operation with a tablet or phone device.
Another case of RTFM. I looked for "Pentax" on the App Store: old habits die hard.
05-17-2015, 03:46 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
I would like a way to transfer my files to the laptop using wifi.
Transferring files is something you can do with a third-party Eye-Fi or Flu Card.
05-17-2015, 05:21 AM   #14

Clackers can you go find another thread to muck about in? That's three totally unhelpful posts in a row. There's nothing wrong with not knowing about the camera but since when does your ignorance qualify to you to answer this question?

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Transferring files is something you can do with a third-party Eye-Fi or Flu Card.
05-17-2015, 06:47 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
That's three totally unhelpful posts in a row.

NotSteve, so you don't think the OP was entitled to know they can't use a web browser on their laptop to remote shoot or move pics?

Or that they *can* transfer images with an added Flu card, just as I do with my K-S1?

You would replace the SD card in the K-S2 whenever you knew you wanted to do this.

Interested to hear your views on the topic.

Last edited by clackers; 05-18-2015 at 01:28 AM.