Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #1

Pentax K-S2 Review Tony Northrup

05-19-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Lot of positives going on there.
05-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #3

"I was really impressed with it. It's our first Pentax review but I was really blown away. It's a great, great value and I can't not recommend it " -Tony Northrup on the K-S2 for serious beginners.
05-19-2015, 09:40 PM   #4

I like Tony. I subscribe to his YouTube channel and have learned quite a bit from him.

But like he said, it was their first Pentax camera review, so it's clear he isn't that familiar with the limited lens selection (compared to Nikon and Canon) we suffering Pentaxians have to put up with. We don't have access to quite a few of the Sigmas and next to no Tamron, for instance.

Also, I'm not sure if he's familiar with the focusing issue some users have had with the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8.

But it certainly was a well thought-out and fair evaluation.

05-20-2015, 03:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fast focusing and the best in low light among all compared to the others is a hell of a statement. If the KS2 had a battery grip I would get one.
05-20-2015, 04:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gavinhw Quote
the limited lens selection (compared to Nikon and Canon) we suffering Pentaxians have to put up with
When did Pentax last 'compete' with Canikon in lens selection? Pentax make excellent cameras for most photographers, isn't that enough?
05-20-2015, 04:03 AM   #7

Battery life very good.

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Fast focusing and the best in low light among all compared to the others is a hell of a statement. If the KS2 had a battery grip I would get one.
"If the KS2 had a battery grip", I assume you mean you need long battery life. I bought a 3rd party spare, (brand name maximafoto) and at the end I was interested to see how much was left in the tank, expecting it to be seriously inferior to the Pentax original. So I crudely used continuous shoot to use up the shots. I thought I had found a new source of never ending power. I got well over 600 shots. As the battery is small I was expecting poor results, but Pentax seem to have done a great job in saving power. I would be interested if other S2 users have found the same.

05-20-2015, 05:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
"If the KS2 had a battery grip", I assume you mean you need long battery life. I bought a 3rd party spare, (brand name maximafoto) and at the end I was interested to see how much was left in the tank, expecting it to be seriously inferior to the Pentax original. So I crudely used continuous shoot to use up the shots. I thought I had found a new source of never ending power. I got well over 600 shots. As the battery is small I was expecting poor results, but Pentax seem to have done a great job in saving power. I would be interested if other S2 users have found the same.
Well, I'm a sucker for battery grips not just for power but for balance when holding long lenses. Plus of course the looks of the camera with a grip is something nice.
05-20-2015, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

... snip ... the limited lens selection (compared to Nikon and Canon) ... snip ...
Just spin it the other way: The great selection of limited lenses available for Pentax cameras.

Regards,
--Anders.
05-20-2015, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like Tony. I subscribe to his YouTube channel and have learned quite a bit from him.

But like he said, it was their first Pentax camera review, so it's clear he isn't that familiar with the limited lens selection (compared to Nikon and Canon) we suffering Pentaxians have to put up with. We don't have access to quite a few of the Sigmas and next to no Tamron, for instance.

Also, I'm not sure if he's familiar with the focusing issue some users have had with the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8.

I don't think the Pentax lens line up is that limited compared to Canon/Nikon -- particularly not for those who would buy a KS-2. I doubt many of those folks are looking for a 600mm f4. If you look at the middle of the range from 10mm to 300mm, there is pretty decent coverage, particularly if you include the Sigma lenses that are available to Pentax.

Canon and Nikon have large numbers of lenses, but there is a lot of over lap between lenses in their line ups -- lenses with IS and without IS, two or three different 50mm lenses, etc. At the same time they don't have the small, solidly constructed lenses that the limited lines offer.
05-20-2015, 06:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

What is funny is truly Pentax users do have a "limited lens selection." And for that we are envied! My personal favorite of the limited lens selection is the FA 31 limited
05-20-2015, 02:40 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think the Pentax lens line up is that limited compared to Canon/Nikon -- particularly not for those who would buy a KS-2. I doubt many of those folks are looking for a 600mm f4. If you look at the middle of the range from 10mm to 300mm, there is pretty decent coverage, particularly if you include the Sigma lenses that are available to Pentax.

Canon and Nikon have large numbers of lenses, but there is a lot of over lap between lenses in their line ups -- lenses with IS and without IS, two or three different 50mm lenses, etc. At the same time they don't have the small, solidly constructed lenses that the limited lines offer.
Tony made it sound like it was pretty easy to slap on a 70-200/210mm on the K-S2. Pentax doesn't have such a lens (just yet), and Sigma doesn't offer theirs in KA-mount. Enthusiasts new to Pentax might be disappointed.

@zbrueningsen: I see your pun, well-played. The 31mm is my favourite lens as well.
05-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The Tamron 70-200 is a pretty dandy lens though. And for $769 it is worth every bit. And thanks for appreciating the pun :-)