Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2015, 12:13 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-S2 - E button programming using M

I may be missing something that is obvious, but this is one thing I would like the firmware to address. I am using the S2 almost like a film camera and can take photos using just the viewfinder and the contained info. When using M mode, I wanted to map the back dial to ISO. While going through the menus the firmware has the T and A mapped to the two dials. When you go to the alternative setting it is the same T and A. I want the A changed to ISO. I cannot understand the logic of A. The mode is MANUAL, presumably the lens is manual, you cannot change aperture with the dial. If I am right, please PENTAX on the next release change this.

05-26-2015, 12:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
I may be missing something that is obvious, but this is one thing I would like the firmware to address. I am using the S2 almost like a film camera and can take photos using just the viewfinder and the contained info. When using M mode, I wanted to map the back dial to ISO. While going through the menus the firmware has the T and A mapped to the two dials. When you go to the alternative setting it is the same T and A. I want the A changed to ISO. I cannot understand the logic of A. The mode is MANUAL, presumably the lens is manual, you cannot change aperture with the dial. If I am right, please PENTAX on the next release change this.
I use Manual all the time (K5 K3) yet virtually all my lenses have apertures controllable from the camera, so having Shutter Speed and Aperture on the two dials makes sense to me. Neither the K5 or K3 allow ISO to be mapped to a wheel. I presume the KS-2 is the same. I do see that for non-A setting lenses, ISO would be more useful though.
05-26-2015, 12:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
I use Manual all the time (K5 K3) yet virtually all my lenses have apertures controllable from the camera, so having Shutter Speed and Aperture on the two dials makes sense to me. Neither the K5 or K3 allow ISO to be mapped to a wheel. I presume the KS-2 is the same. I do see that for non-A setting lenses, ISO would be more useful though.
But why not make ISO available on the alternative setting? On my many old manual lens, the dial for aperture is doing nothing.
05-26-2015, 05:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
But why not make ISO available on the alternative setting? On my many old manual lens, the dial for aperture is doing nothing.
As I said in my original post, having the option for ISO on one of the wheels would be useful, but I suspect the majority of times M mode is used is with A- enabled lenses. To adjust ISO whilst looking through the finder, I just press the ISO button with my index finger and spin the wheel with my thumb as normal, this works for me even though I am left-eyed, a right-eyer should find it even easier! Of course it does mean that I have to move my finger off the shutter

05-26-2015, 06:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
As I said in my original post, having the option for ISO on one of the wheels would be useful, but I suspect the majority of times M mode is used is with A- enabled lenses. To adjust ISO whilst looking through the finder, I just press the ISO button with my index finger and spin the wheel with my thumb as normal, this works for me even though I am left-eyed, a right-eyer should find it even easier! Of course it does mean that I have to move my finger off the shutter
As I said I use the camera almost as if it is a film camera. With the screen tucked away for safety, the four position button is disabled. So I need the ISO for the M setting. Also if the main setting for E-dial is T and A. Why have the alternate setting the same? Having T and ISO for the alternative setting hurts no one.
06-15-2015, 10:25 PM   #6
abe

I also find the ability to change ISO with the LCD closed very useful. This is probably one thing that I notice I wanted.

If use of the 4 button control is not possible maybe Pentax could add the ability for the user to map another button that allows us to change ISO through the viewfinder.
07-14-2015, 03:00 AM   #7

Original Poster
Been given this a little more thought. As the camera detects the presence of the A pin. When it is detected it allocates Tv and Av to the two dials. When it detects there is no A pin, then the Av is greyed out. (quite reasonable it has no use). Then why not instead default to the dial being set to ISO. Better to give it something to do than nothing at all.

I am finding the K-S2 is a great camera for manual lens, hope Pentax recognise this as well.

Last edited by fb_penpho; 07-14-2015 at 03:12 AM.