Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2015, 02:51 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
The manual should have more in it.

The full printed manual is not supplied. However there is vast amount of spare space on the CD for a more comprehensive electronic manual. This was brought home when trying to use B. I wanted to use my external shutter switch. Can't there is no input for the cable. Finally found an option that allows the shutter button to be used as a toggle. Considering most B use will be beyond 30secs then a good idea, One press for start, a second press for stop. I then wondered if this applied if you use the IR control. This does not appear to be in the manual, but the IR control works in the same way, great. But I had to experiment to find out this is the case.

As for how PROGRAM mode is supposed to be used I would love an explanation. So this is my suggestion for a more comprehensive manual, my K20 was about 400 pages, the S2 is about 130 pages although being more complicated.

06-01-2015, 03:26 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
The full printed manual is not supplied. However there is vast amount of spare space on the CD for a more comprehensive electronic manual. This was brought home when trying to use B. I wanted to use my external shutter switch. Can't there is no input for the cable. Finally found an option that allows the shutter button to be used as a toggle. Considering most B use will be beyond 30secs then a good idea, One press for start, a second press for stop. I then wondered if this applied if you use the IR control. This does not appear to be in the manual, but the IR control works in the same way, great. But I had to experiment to find out this is the case.

As for how PROGRAM mode is supposed to be used I would love an explanation. So this is my suggestion for a more comprehensive manual, my K20 was about 400 pages, the S2 is about 130 pages although being more complicated.
Sounds like the Ricoh influence. The K3, although it had a printed manual in the box it was smaller than the one in the K5. The next stage will I suppose be only a CD like other manufacturers....perish the thought! When you are in the field a printed A5 manual is much more practical. Fortunately in the UK Old Timer Camers ( Camera Instruction Manuals. High Quality Printed Manuals ) can often assist in this but it is a bit of a pain and adds to the outfit cost.

Thats the trouble with market research....it removes less well used establised hardware features etc. but takes no account that when you need it you reallyneed it! Think built in viewfinders in really bright sunshine...think High End Canon Compacts etc.. Yes you can buy one but it is not cheap and makes the real cost of a Camera more exspensive and the outfit bulkier and heavier. For the last also think K3ii...a small flash / speedlight / strobe is biggger than a GPS unit.
06-02-2015, 08:31 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

There's E-Books available for it, on Marketplace.
06-10-2015, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Program-mode on the K-S2 is similar to the K20D, it is HyP-mode (Hyper Program mode). Set the camera to P, then you use the front and back dials (e-dials) to set aperture and shutter: If you turn the aperture wheel (standard setting is the back wheel) then you enter Av mode (aperture priority mode) - you set aperture, camera sets shutter. If you turn the shutter wheel (standard setting is the front wheel) then you enter Tv mode (shutter priority mode) - you set the shutter, camera sets the aperture. If you press the green button you reset to Program-mode (camera sets both aperture and shutter).

06-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pentax manuals are clearly written for highly sophisticated photographers--they tell you how to utilize various functions but give no clues about why you might want to use the function. I found them maddening until I accepted that the manuals are a reference not a guide to photography. You're not supposed to actuuaqlly read it, just refer to it when you need to.
06-11-2015, 01:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The K10D manual, as well as the manual to *ist DS, also has some general guidelines to photography and how to use the functions - even recommendations about how to hold the camera in order to avoid shake. Even the manual to my P30 and MZ-5 and MZ-5N had this.. Yes the K-S2 manual is a reference manual only, they only kept the last chapter from the old manuals and skipped the introduction to photography. Sure it saves money but it is perhaps not so user friendly. But the previous poster does indeed have a point, there are classes and many books about photography so if you have a basic understanding of photography then the user manual is Ok.
06-23-2015, 09:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/295303-sal...tax-dslrs.html
06-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I believe the whole point is that they don't want e-books. They want a more comprehensive printed manual. Ebooks are nice and I have nothing against them but there are times when a printed manual is much more helpful. Like when your pad is out of juice and you're not near an electrical socket...:P

06-23-2015, 10:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I find manuals lacking detail highly desirable. They spread the discovery of new functionality out over years...... giving ongoing enjoyment of new features as you jag them from time to time! Just like any good marriage.....
06-23-2015, 10:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter

The e-books can be printed. However, younger generations live by their cell phones and tablets. The e-books can be installed on any device that reads PDF files. Books are expensive to produces and images or illustrations in color is limited. Paper books are not dynAmic like an e-book. E-books allows you to link to internal and external information and videos, expanding resources. Most people prefer digital information otherwise PentaxForums wouldn't exist. You can print the e-books but you can't easily digitize paper books. I guess we are all different and what works for some may not work for others. I won't dare to assume that I know what everybody else wants. Best Regards to all.
06-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ebooks4pentax Quote
The e-books can be printed. However, younger generations live by their cell phones and tablets. The e-books can be installed on any device that reads PDF files. Books are expensive to produces and images or illustrations in color is limited. Paper books are not dynAmic like an e-book. E-books allows you to link to internal and external information and videos, expanding resources. Most people prefer digital information otherwise PentaxForums wouldn't exist. You can print the e-books but you can't easily digitize paper books. I guess we are all different and what works for some may not work for others. I won't dare to assume that I know what everybody else wants. Best Regards to all.
I have the K-3 II manual on my Nexus 9. Makes for an easy to use and searchable reference. Adobe Reader on Android is very easy to work with and I don't really see a good reason to carry the printed manual any more.

—DragonLord
06-24-2015, 08:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
I have the K-3 II manual on my Nexus 9. Makes for an easy to use and searchable reference. Adobe Reader on Android is very easy to work with and I don't really see a good reason to carry the printed manual any more.

—DragonLord
Thank you DragonLord.

I respect everyone's opinion and agree that e-books are not for everyone. Printed books are way too expensive to produce and you have to order thousands to get a fair price, without knowing if you will sell them all.

We now live in a digital world, and you have to keep up or you are left behind. Luckily, you can print or have someone print the e-books, in any size you want.
06-25-2015, 07:24 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by ebooks4pentax Quote
Thank you DragonLord.

I respect everyone's opinion and agree that e-books are not for everyone. Printed books are way too expensive to produce and you have to order thousands to get a fair price, without knowing if you will sell them all.

We now live in a digital world, and you have to keep up or you are left behind. Luckily, you can print or have someone print the e-books, in any size you want.
It is much easier to browse a printed book and also have 2/3 pages open at the same time than an eBook. Also the human brain is much better about using and understanding synonyms (words and phrases) if you are uncertain about what you should be looking for or do not know the "correct" wording. Digital only really works when you know exactly what you want, the correct words and the correct spelling and the correct order. Fuzzy date does not always work. For example the digital system in my library works extremely well when all the last are correct. It often fails to work if anything is wrong nor does sublimely make suggestions to alternative reads that the old card system did.

Having access to an eManual on your phone can however cut down your load (tablets, eReaders and laptops do not) but it does need reasonably good eyesight or a pair of reading glasses, reasonably full batteries and a decent bit of shade on very sunny days.

Yes you can print your own copy but it is a lot pricier per copy doing one than printing them in bulk!