Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2015, 08:43 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Split Image focus screen for K-S2?

Anybody out there know of a source for split image focus screens for the K-S2? Unfortunately, Katz Eye Optics is OOB, and while I can find focus screens for most Pentax DSLR's on eek bay, K-S2 is not listed anywhere.

NaCl(yeah, I can go back to the old style "zoom til it pops" system, but split image is faster and more accurate)H2O

06-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #2

People often use Www.focusscreening.com. K3/k30/k5/k5ii/k5iis/k50 all use the same focus screen size. Whilst I don't have a k-s2 myself, I would be very surprised if it uses a different focus screen size to the others mentioned.
06-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
That is actually something I would like if someone can confirm. Maybe it there was an owner of some older type and could compare the dimensions of the screens.
06-11-2015, 05:58 AM   #4

Right, I don't have any calipers with me so it's rough dimensions with a ruler. The measurements of my k-30 after market focus screen (which I've just removed from my camera) is 21mm long, 18mm wide and just under 2mm thick.

The K-30's focus screen is known to be compatible with k5 series, k50 and k3. Also, according to the pentax website, the specs for the focus screen in the k-s2 seems to be the same as the k-3, suggesting they use the same one.

If either of you want the split screen in front of me, in the interest of science, you can have it for the cost of postage (I'm in the UK). It's a chinese one from ebay (sellers name has escaped me, but he's often mentioned in threads about focus screens), it is the 45 degree dual split one. It was a bit of a bugger to fit; I needed to take the metal shim out of the k-30 and then build up DIY shims with sellotape (scotch tape). I don't know if that's testiment to the calibration of the screen or my camera. Because I had to mess around, it's a bit dirty and so needs a clean and probably has a few scratches too, but it is useable.

Personally, I'm finding that I prefer the original screen, as it doesn't mess up the exposure of my slower lenses. I don't seem to do too bad at hitting focus with it at f1.8 (I don't have anything faster!), I'll use the focus confirmation to double check and drop into liveview if I'm really struggling. I'm kinda coming to the opinion that getting a good feel for the focus ring of the lens seems to be more important than the focus screen itself.

06-11-2015, 06:13 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DanGleabols Quote
Personally, I'm finding that I prefer the original screen, as it doesn't mess up the exposure of my slower lenses. I don't seem to do too bad at hitting focus with it at f1.8 (I don't have anything faster!), I'll use the focus confirmation to double check and drop into liveview if I'm really struggling. I'm kinda coming to the opinion that getting a good feel for the focus ring of the lens seems to be more important than the focus screen itself.
I have to agree with this. For a long time I used this system. It works pretty well, but if you stop using it you need to practice all over again and the practice is incredibly boring. As far as shimming up a focus screen is concerned, I've done it and found it massively frustrating. Don't get me wrong, it can be done, but I prefer to hire a professional with an optical bench to install the damn thing.

NaCl(getting lazy in my old age)H2O
02-27-2017, 12:56 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Anybody out there know of a source for split image focus screens for the K-S2? Unfortunately, Katz Eye Optics is OOB, and while I can find focus screens for most Pentax DSLR's on eek bay, K-S2 is not listed anywhere.

NaCl(yeah, I can go back to the old style "zoom til it pops" system, but split image is faster and more accurate)H2O
I've had a split screen in my K-s2 for over a year and no problems. Found one on eBay by searching Pentax MF-60 split. They're all posted from Japan or America, approx $50. Found nothing in the UK. I know this info is late coming. And I'm posting only now as just thought it may help others looking for the same info.
02-27-2017, 01:03 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ninja Pete Quote
I've had a split screen in my K-s2 for over a year and no problems. Found one on eBay by searching Pentax MF-60 split. They're all posted from Japan or America, approx $50. Found nothing in the UK. I know this info is late coming. And I'm posting only now as just thought it may help others looking for the same info.
I'm confused - isn't the MF-60 a standard matte focusing screen with framing? I didn't think it had a split prism If there's one with a split prism, I'd like one!
02-27-2017, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm confused - isn't the MF-60 a standard matte focusing screen with framing? I didn't think it had a split prism If there's one with a split prism, I'd like one!
That's correct - the MF-60 is the standard matte screen for the K-7/5/5II/5IIs/3/3II/30/50/500/S1/S2/70/KP. It also answers the question of size - if the K-S2 uses the MF-60 (which it does, according to Pentax Japan), then it usese the same split prism screen screen as any of those earlier bodies.

02-28-2017, 12:48 AM   #9

Seek hard enough and you will find. Like I did lol. MF-60 was in its description of the one I found (as a reference to the focusing screens size and I suppose position of the lip). In fact the split screen I found states MF 60 on the lip. Other than remembering it came from the usa off eBay, it was back in Nov 2015 so unfortunately i can't remember the seller. But the screens do exist. This is the first post I've ever commented on. Deciding to have a go at photography and buying my first ever camera (K-s2) as an Xmas present to me Dec 2014 I'm pretty new (it's a hobby, I'm not a pro). I've used this forum as a guide and wealth of learning. So just wanted to give a little back. Even if it is just hope lol. My quest to find a split screen (with limited camera knowledge) was in the hope it would aid me focus. Ironic I should take up a hobby just when my eyes are old and starting to fail lol. This forum is generally very informative. Once you learn to weed out camera/kit snobbery. And those that get some joy from intimidating instead of helping newcomers. Anyway, the splits are out there for the K-S2 100%
02-28-2017, 01:02 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm unsure what 'split prism' is. My knowledge isn't that great. But is this what you're looking for....
Dual 45 Split image Focusing Focus Screen For Pentax K-7 K-5 K-50 K-30 K-S1 KS2 | eBay
04-02-2017, 01:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote

The KS2 uses the same screen as the K5/K3/K30/K50. I have Katzeye's is both of my KS2's, one purchased new before they shut down and the other purchased here on the forums market. They come up once in awhile.