Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #31
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by houseofstyles Quote
Good to hear of some enthusiasm for the KS1; the KS2 seems to have taken over this forum, and somehow the KS2 doesn't hold much appeal to me.
Should we get divorced from the K-S2 - demand our own, K-S1 only, forum?

06-29-2015, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
Should we get divorced from the K-S2 - demand our own, K-S1 only, forum?
Maybe if there is a fire sale at the end of the year and we get a bunch of new K-S1 users, there will be a need, but for now, there's not enough K-S1 specific threads to justify it. Heck, we haven't even been keeping the "fun with the K-S1" thread at the top. (I'd feel guilty, but I haven't been having fun without it, either. It's been a rough month.)
06-29-2015, 07:42 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
K-S1 seems a great camera to me. It has the features I want and none of the ones I don't want. Suddenly I'm taking pictures again.
I only wanted a couple more (WR especially) - too bad as size and other simple touches suggest the K-s1 was right up my alley. The big features of the K-s2 (WiFi, flip-not-tip screen) aren't quite what I sought, but we'll see: year-end discounts will help me decide between K-s1, s2 or step up to a K-3 version.

I was partial to black print on gold, myself
06-29-2015, 09:36 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Maybe if there is a fire sale at the end of the year and we get a bunch of new K-S1 users, there will be a need, but for now, there's not enough K-S1 specific threads to justify it. Heck, we haven't even been keeping the "fun with the K-S1" thread at the top. (I'd feel guilty, but I haven't been having fun without it, either. It's been a rough month.)
A rough month for me, too. I just never seem to have any time. I thought about trying my hand again at some product photography, using a new "toy" of mine as a subject (a watch). I pulled out a flash etc. and didn't have time to actually do it. I did get a chance to try videoing my sister's dance Saturday. The camera did pretty well since I was hand-holding in not the greatest light, and this was the first time I've actually purposefully taken a video. Need to get out more, I'm out of practice.

06-30-2015, 06:38 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
A rough month for me, too. I just never seem to have any time. I thought about trying my hand again at some product photography, using a new "toy" of mine as a subject (a watch). I pulled out a flash etc. and didn't have time to actually do it. I did get a chance to try videoing my sister's dance Saturday. The camera did pretty well since I was hand-holding in not the greatest light, and this was the first time I've actually purposefully taken a video. Need to get out more, I'm out of practice.
I hear you. On top of work, home, and family drama, the weather has been uncooperative - thunderstorms or 100F (38C), alternating hourly so that the humidity stays around a million per cent - you have to keep moving, or mushrooms sprout on your sneakers. The only shooting I've done this month was to recalibrate my oldish Rokinon (Samyang) 8mm fisheye. I suspected the focus ring was off, but it turned out to be 'waaaaaaaaaaay off - maybe 30 degrees. I took it and the K-S1 "gardening" Sunday to test and concluded that (1) my "eye" is stone cold, (2) 8mm fisheye with a 12" minimum focus distance really isn't the lens for flowers, and (3) my distance-estimating ability needs to be recalibrated, too. The ONE shot that had some potential was back-focused by about an inch and a half - even with LiveView and 10x zoom.

Last edited by THoog; 06-30-2015 at 08:23 AM.
07-03-2015, 04:07 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I hear you. On top of work, home, and family drama, the weather has been uncooperative - thunderstorms or 100F (38C), alternating hourly so that the humidity stays around a million per cent - you have to keep moving, or mushrooms sprout on your sneakers. The only shooting I've done this month was to recalibrate my oldish Rokinon (Samyang) 8mm fisheye. I suspected the focus ring was off, but it turned out to be 'waaaaaaaaaaay off - maybe 30 degrees. I took it and the K-S1 "gardening" Sunday to test and concluded that (1) my "eye" is stone cold, (2) 8mm fisheye with a 12" minimum focus distance really isn't the lens for flowers, and (3) my distance-estimating ability needs to be recalibrated, too. The ONE shot that had some potential was back-focused by about an inch and a half - even with LiveView and 10x zoom.
Amazing how heat can make it hard to get interested in much! It's been hot here, too - not quite the 38C/100F you've been having, but over 90 often. And I don't have air conditioning! Thought it was miserable until I visited my sister in Vegas last weekend - it was 106-110F. Made my house at 86 feel positively cool!

Too funny about trying to shoot flowers with a fisheye, especially one that has a 12" minimum focus. I can do better than that with the A*300, which has a minimum focus distance of something like 11-13 feet!

Wednesday I have cataract surgery scheduled - not sure how much photography I'll be doing for the next month.
07-12-2015, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #37

SFX, I agree whole heartedly with your comments.
Kadajawi, I think you should live in Silicon Valkey and buy an IPhone 6 with a clip-on lens and not bother eith cameras.
I grew up with film Pentaxes. Then *IstD's. K100, K10. Then Nikons, Canons, lumix etc.
i enjoy the K-S1 first if all for its size. Like a Canon 100D. The grip and controls takes very little time to get used too. We humans are quite adaptable! In all these forums, including Pentaxians, I have not heard of any problems or come back on a K-S1, but lots on most of the other top models. Maybe there are not so many in circulation. Mine works very well with all my old and ancient lenses! I think the reviews kill a lot if cameras right from the outset. Based on frames per sec and all sorts of other criteria. I prefer to read DPReview where it tells you about the camera and let you make your own decision. Enough said. It is a worth while piece of camera, let the pixel peepers and model poopers enjoy themselves!