Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Future of the K-S1

I'd buy a new K-S1 if I could get a great deal. Looking at Amazon, Ebay and the big retailers, it appears there are tons available. They are now discounted to $350-$400 or so with kit lens and it does not look like they are selling. Can we expect blow-out pricing anytime soon?

06-11-2015, 02:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter

K-S1 seems a great camera to me. It has the features I want and none of the ones I don't want. Suddenly I'm taking pictures again.
06-11-2015, 03:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm very taken with mine too. It is substantially smaller than the K-S2 in every dimension, lighter, and I also prefer the ergonomics and button placement.

The launch price was too high, but it's a great little camera. Deja vu K-01.
06-11-2015, 03:57 AM   #4

Hello, I own a KS1 since some months ago, for me this camera is close to perfection but I think most of users prefer other alternatives, according to the low presence in this forums and another ones. I'm worried about the future too, mostly because there hasn't been any firmware actualization yet. Like the k01, in the 350$ range it is an unbeatable camera, but this could mean that pentax will discontinue the product.

06-11-2015, 06:45 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by afvn72 Quote
I'd buy a new K-S1 if I could get a great deal. Looking at Amazon, Ebay and the big retailers, it appears there are tons available. They are now discounted to $350-$400 or so with kit lens and it does not look like they are selling. Can we expect blow-out pricing anytime soon?
Who knows? One crystal ball is as good as another. I don't think the US dealers stocked as many K-S1s as they did the K-01, so there isn't as much pressure to get rid of excess stock. I wouldn't expect to see dramatic sales until the end-of-year holidays - or assume that there's going to be sub-$300 deals on Black Friday (or that we'll see the major retailers restocking to honor those prices like they did for the K-01). I'll second (third?) what Clothears and Sandy have said - the K-S1 is a great little camera that is easy to take everywhere, very much in the style of the K-x. It isn't for everyone, but if you want a fun little camera with great IQ, don't wait - get one and start shooting!

PS: But if there ARE huge holiday discounts on the Blue Cream Soda version - hands off! My Smurf K-01 wants a baby brother!
06-11-2015, 07:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The launch price was too high, but it's a great little camera. Deja vu K-01.
Yes, you'd think Pentax would learn!
And the problem is, when a camera is heavily discounted, people get suspicious, so it still won't sell well! Pentax needs to learn to start with a good price, then keep it around there, and only reduce it heavily at the very end, to make room for the next model.
I tried a demo K-S1 and it is really cool, but the store here still has it for a relatively high price
06-11-2015, 07:05 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great form factor. About the size of a Samsung NX-1 or Sony A7 II, AFAIK.

Good images, too.
06-12-2015, 05:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Good images, too.
Yes and that is the salient point.

Right now I'm after a 135mm f2.8 -F or -FA, but I see none on ebay. The kit lens did remarkably well at a recent wedding, so with a couple of other primes I'm all set.

06-12-2015, 05:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
Right now I'm after a 135mm f2.8 -F or -FA, but I see none on ebay.
135 on the K-S1
06-12-2015, 08:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Mmm, nice, just why I want one. I have an -M f3.5 from 30 years ago, which is nice and sharp, but then I have to fiddle about to get the exposure correct.
06-12-2015, 08:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm still delighted with my K-S1, works great for me. Add a couple of limited lenses and you can go anywhere with it. I've thought about a second one, but I'm also thinking that an S2 might be a better complement. In any case, I'm not buying anything until I finish all the repairs to the house. I also want to see how the pixel shifting does long term and how heavy the full frame will be. I'll go out and shoot with the K3 for a while after the FF comes out, to see if there would be any way I could get along with one, but it is looking less and less like anything will change between now and then, and I'll always have to shoot with as light a camera as I can. As long as Pentax keeps making small, lightweight cameras like the K-S1 I'll be happy.
06-12-2015, 09:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mcgutierre Quote
I'm worried about the future too
Why?
QuoteOriginally posted by Mcgutierre Quote
mostly because there hasn't been any firmware actualization yet.
Updates have two functions
- Bugfixes; so no updates means that it basically does not have bugs; no news is good news
- New features; this only happens very occasionally

Having said that, there is one update ( Latest K-S1 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING ); seems to contain the same updates as for e.g. the K3 (for the new DFA lenses).
06-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Yes, and it works perfectly with DFA150-450 even if the small angular grip is not confortable enough with such a big lens...
06-18-2015, 08:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I can't link to the picture right now because I am using a tablet, but I posted a picture on flicker showing my K-S1, my DA21, 40XS, and my DA70, all perched on kitchen scales. Total weight shown? 936 grams. I think I was cheating though, because the battery was being charged and not in the camera.

So, three great primes, total weight under a kilo! I rest my case, m'lud.
06-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #15
Pentaxian

We're certainly not seeing the price drops as we are seeing with the K-50 so I doubt that Ricoh has plans for dropping the K-S1 in the near future. As stated before you probably have to wait for the end of the sales.