Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No shutter release connection for KS-2

I have just discovered a need to have a tilt-LCD camera but I also need a remote shutter release since I shoot all bracketed shots on a tripod.

The KS-1 allowed only one mode with an IR remote (bracketing not available using IR remote) is the KS-2 like this also?

It really sucks they dropped this feature AGAIN !!! I thought we were past this little issue since they added it back since on the K-30....

06-24-2015, 03:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want the pro features instead of the miniature camera size, you need a K-3
06-24-2015, 03:17 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
It really sucks they dropped this feature AGAIN !!! I thought we were past this little issue since they added it back since on the K-30....
The K-S2 is not meant to replace the K-30/50 so if it should be no surprise if it doesn't have some of the same features.

There is nothing in the manuals that say bracketing is not available in remote mode. Remote tethering with an Android or IPhone is also possible through WiFi.

I'll leave it up to someone who actually has a K-S2 to give you a definite answer on the bracketing function though.
06-24-2015, 04:11 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
I have just discovered a need to have a tilt-LCD camera but I also need a remote shutter release since I shoot all bracketed shots on a tripod.

The KS-1 allowed only one mode with an IR remote (bracketing not available using IR remote) is the KS-2 like this also?

Have not tried it but: Good news. Under the RH button of the 4way button, is an option for bracket shooting. Under that the third sub option shows remote control. Check out page 62 of the manual.

Last edited by fb_penpho; 06-24-2015 at 04:17 PM.
06-24-2015, 07:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
If you want the pro features instead of the miniature camera size, you need a K-3
I need a flip out LCD....

---------- Post added 06-24-15 at 09:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
Have not tried it but: Good news. Under the RH button of the 4way button, is an option for bracket shooting. Under that the third sub option shows remote control. Check out page 62 of the manual.
Actually this would be great, bracketing with IR remote would be ideal !
This sounds promising.... too bad Ricoh's online manual link for the KS-2 is dead! I'll keep looking for it...

(EDIT: Found it here on the forum, in the camera review section)
It appears to exactly that, bracketing with IR remote....

This is great... further explanation.
I need to take photos from a lower angle and since I am 6'4", squatting to compose each shot would not be very good for my back.... hence the need for a flip-out LCD....

Having an IR remote will let me get out of the shot easier when there are too many mirrors in the room also! (I do mostly Real Estate Photography)

Last edited by skid2964; 06-25-2015 at 06:08 AM.
06-25-2015, 12:30 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Glad it is what you need. I also found this about the B setting which is not in the manual.

"Finally found an option that allows the shutter button to be used as a toggle. Considering most B use will be beyond 30secs then a good idea, One press for start, a second press for stop. I then wondered if this applied if you use the IR control. This does not appear to be in the manual, but the IR control works in the same way, great. But I had to experiment to find out this is the case." This is from my entry about things not in the manual. As you wanted to use a cable release equivalent, you may find this useful.

Last edited by fb_penpho; 06-25-2015 at 12:38 AM.