Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2015, 12:02 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1
Just bought a K-S1

NOt sure if this is the right place to ask for help. Just bought a K-S1 and it takes fantastic photos.
Very pleased.
Unfortunately I can't use the supplied Digital Camera Utility 5 software that was supplied with the camera.
The software is installed Ok.
The camera connects to the computer and registers as a removable disk.
But the camera is not recognized by the Camera Utility software.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

06-25-2015, 12:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
max_pyne's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: zurich
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 408
a general advice is to use a card reader.
06-25-2015, 01:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member
sterretje's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,534
QuoteOriginally posted by Hokumatz Quote
But the camera is not recognized by the Camera Utility software.
Can you explain what you mean by that?

If the camera shows up as a drive, that drive should show in PDCU as well. Personally I copy the files first to the computer's hard disk. Next I use PDCU for post processing the copied files (if necessary).
07-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
abe
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Bogotá
Posts: 17
He means that the software has problems and that a card reader is so much better and faster.

I suggest you go that way too.

07-14-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Clothears's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canterbury
Posts: 126
QuoteOriginally posted by Hokumatz Quote
Just bought a K-S1 and it takes fantastic photos.
Very pleased.
Unfortunately I can't use the supplied Digital Camera Utility 5 software that was supplied with the camera.
The software is installed Ok.
The camera connects to the computer and registers as a removable disk.
But the camera is not recognized by the Camera Utility software.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
What operating system are you using? I am not using the supplied software with my K-S1 on my Macintosh. I use a suitable USB cable to connect the camera to the Mac and then just copy the image files onto the computer's disk. I use LightRoom to process the images. Are you making RAW images or JPEGs? Suggest you forget the supplied software unless you have a particular reason to use it.
07-14-2015, 09:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
jimr-pdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: 1hr north of PDX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,550
I'll catch up with you in a day or two & report back; I expect my K-s1 by Friday

While DCU has never been highly respected here on the Forums, it's silly to dismiss the facts:
  • it's Free
  • extremely Pentax compatible
  • extremely PC/Mac compatible
  • replicates Pentax camera features unlike all the others.
I've tried many others over time but I plan to make use of DCU5 when it arrives (I tried loading from the update but it must be installed before the download will function). That said I do have a card reader in my printer so I have more than one way into the system - but I shall try both soon.
07-15-2015, 05:25 AM   #7
abe
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Bogotá
Posts: 17
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I'll catch up with you in a day or two & report back; I expect my K-s1 by Friday

While DCU has never been highly respected here on the Forums, it's silly to dismiss the facts:
  • it's Free
  • extremely Pentax compatible
  • extremely PC/Mac compatible
  • replicates Pentax camera features unlike all the others.
I've tried many others over time but I plan to make use of DCU5 when it arrives (I tried loading from the update but it must be installed before the download will function). That said I do have a card reader in my printer so I have more than one way into the system - but I shall try both soon.
Looking forward to what you find out about DCU.

I'm using lightroom and importing directly from the card at the moment and only tried DCU once.

Since I always do post processing I thought going lightroom right away was better.
07-15-2015, 05:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 451
I usually recommend Faststone, which is a free and very user-friendly pp program for quick and dirty adjustments. And the surprising thing is that when I finish my usual workflow then decide I want B&W, I just use Faststone's default grayscale option, and people comment about how good the monochrome pp is! No Nik or Topaz needed, just click one option!

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, k-s1, k-s2, software, utility
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just bought a K-3 whats wrong with it imdunn513 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 18 05-04-2015 12:26 PM
Anyone actually bought a K-S1 yet? capndan3 Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 8 12-11-2014 05:39 AM
So I just bought a K-30 lewvanbommel Pentax K-30 & K-50 12 12-29-2013 08:08 AM
I Just moved to a floating home & bought a K-50 Dids2 Welcomes and Introductions 3 12-10-2013 04:10 PM
New Here - Just Bought a K-50 and X-5 jwsamuel Welcomes and Introductions 8 11-29-2013 11:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:51 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top