Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2015, 12:02 AM   #1

Just bought a K-S1

NOt sure if this is the right place to ask for help. Just bought a K-S1 and it takes fantastic photos.
Very pleased.
Unfortunately I can't use the supplied Digital Camera Utility 5 software that was supplied with the camera.
The software is installed Ok.
The camera connects to the computer and registers as a removable disk.
But the camera is not recognized by the Camera Utility software.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

06-25-2015, 12:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a general advice is to use a card reader.
06-25-2015, 01:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hokumatz Quote
Can you explain what you mean by that?

If the camera shows up as a drive, that drive should show in PDCU as well. Personally I copy the files first to the computer's hard disk. Next I use PDCU for post processing the copied files (if necessary).
07-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
abe

He means that the software has problems and that a card reader is so much better and faster.

I suggest you go that way too.

07-14-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hokumatz Quote
Just bought a K-S1 and it takes fantastic photos.
Very pleased.
Unfortunately I can't use the supplied Digital Camera Utility 5 software that was supplied with the camera.
The software is installed Ok.
The camera connects to the computer and registers as a removable disk.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
What operating system are you using? I am not using the supplied software with my K-S1 on my Macintosh. I use a suitable USB cable to connect the camera to the Mac and then just copy the image files onto the computer's disk. I use LightRoom to process the images. Are you making RAW images or JPEGs? Suggest you forget the supplied software unless you have a particular reason to use it.
07-14-2015, 09:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I'll catch up with you in a day or two & report back; I expect my K-s1 by Friday

While DCU has never been highly respected here on the Forums, it's silly to dismiss the facts:
  • it's Free
  • extremely Pentax compatible
  • extremely PC/Mac compatible
  • replicates Pentax camera features unlike all the others.
I've tried many others over time but I plan to make use of DCU5 when it arrives (I tried loading from the update but it must be installed before the download will function). That said I do have a card reader in my printer so I have more than one way into the system - but I shall try both soon.
07-15-2015, 05:25 AM   #7
abe

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I'll catch up with you in a day or two & report back; I expect my K-s1 by Friday

While DCU has never been highly respected here on the Forums, it's silly to dismiss the facts:
  • it's Free
  • extremely Pentax compatible
  • extremely PC/Mac compatible
  • replicates Pentax camera features unlike all the others.
I've tried many others over time but I plan to make use of DCU5 when it arrives (I tried loading from the update but it must be installed before the download will function). That said I do have a card reader in my printer so I have more than one way into the system - but I shall try both soon.
Looking forward to what you find out about DCU.

I'm using lightroom and importing directly from the card at the moment and only tried DCU once.

Since I always do post processing I thought going lightroom right away was better.
07-15-2015, 05:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I usually recommend Faststone, which is a free and very user-friendly pp program for quick and dirty adjustments. And the surprising thing is that when I finish my usual workflow then decide I want B&W, I just use Faststone's default grayscale option, and people comment about how good the monochrome pp is! No Nik or Topaz needed, just click one option!