Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-s1 deal + a body-color question

Hi folks! I was one who pre-ordered the K-s1 (which I'd never done before). Once the specs were available I saw what was missing, and I . I wasn't completely put off by it but could not see that price working for me, so I stopped the order. Other bodies have come & gone from my kit until at last I settled on a bargain K-r. Still I kept watch, thinking a K-01-type blowout sale could happen at some point. I still really preferred more of a K-s2 type feature set, better yet the K-3.

Today I stopped looking. A 'last one' new white body on auction had a subtle "20% off" flag by it; sure enough it came to $273.59 - comfortably close to the K-01 deals of old. I had seen that offer for several days and turned away.. but today the price was lower still, so I ended the torment.
This will be fun, as other owners' photo thread suggests - my primes will be very happy!

I had to do a lot of thinking though - about what I want, need and actually use in my dSLR cameras.
Hard to say if this helps anyone else but I thought I'd share.
* WR is really important to me - but I'm doing fine with my K-r, and what if the new body can fit in a sandwich bag?
* Size is definitely important - that's why the K-s1 was preordered in the first place
* Two control dials are nice - but I never learned to shoot in ways that need both at once
* Features like interval stills/movies are really cool - yet I don't use them + my K-r can do the interval stills
* Video is not a priority to me - yet my neice wants me to video her wedding
* I still remember those AA-free shots with my K-5 IIs before the budget tightened
* WiFi doesn't get much use on my NX300, but why not have it available?

In the end it's really me that makes the image, the box in my hand just captures it. The K-s1 will give me more resolution, faster AF (though not to EV-3), more up-to-date video specs and can use the Astrotracer if I buy one again.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Part II -- has anyone actually seen these colors for sale? If my wife loves the K-s1 size I'll need a rosey one for her!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

recent post to video folks

I've been asked to shoot some video at my niece's wedding. Nothing professional is expected so I can provide decent work without fear of disappointing anyone - thank goodness! Anyway I have a couple of options/cameras to do the job.
  • current 'best' = NX300 and fast prime (no IS)
  • current Pentax = K-r and fast prime (true SR but huge files@ HD720 max)
  • old camcorder = Panasonic miniDV, 10+ years old
  • Pentax update = better video resolution + compression, 'fake' SR
  • my phone? No, just.. no

I'm not trying to use the event to justify a camera update.. but still it's important that I provide something nice for them. Plus my budget isn't at a great spot ..

07-11-2015, 11:15 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
has anyone actually seen these colors for sale?
No, they didn't happen. If the K-S1 had been a hit, I think we would have seen further 'collections', but sales were "disappointing" (in their words). The 'night' and 'fabric' collections have been discontinued with no replacements, leaving the original three (black/blue/white) and 'sweets' (white with chartreuse/pink/blue grips). The 'Smurf' K-01 came out a year and a half after the originals, so I wouldn't completely rule out another K-S1 color, but I think it's highly unlikely. Congratulations on getting a great deal on the 'S1! Now slap some Limiteds on it and have fun!
07-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Congratulations on getting a great deal on the 'S1! Now slap some Limiteds on it and have fun!
DAs 15 and 40 are standing by along with K24/2.8 and M100/2.8..
07-11-2015, 10:07 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on such a good deal! The K24 is fun to use on the K-S1, I used it quite a bit before I decided that a little white camera needed little silver lenses and I bought the 15, 21 and 40. I'm still thinking about the 70, but the 77 isn't all that much bigger.

It didn't take me that long to get used to having only 1 wheel. And I can't tell you how often I got confused about which wheel operated which value with the K3. Somehow it's more intuitive to push the button and use the same dial for adjustments,

Have fun with your new camera.

07-11-2015, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Somehow it's more intuitive to push the button and use the same dial for adjustments,
BLASPHEMY!!!!! I happen to think the exact same thing, since my first five years of DSLRs were all with one-wheelers, but I've been told that it's BLASPHEMY!
07-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
BLASPHEMY!!!!! I happen to think the exact same thing, since my first five years of DSLRs were all with one-wheelers, but I've been told that it's BLASPHEMY!
It should be blasphemy for me, too because I've owned the K10, K20, K7, K5 and still own a K3. But I never really sorted it all out. I think you can have too many controls on the body. Yes, they are more convenient than going into menus, but I find my shooting is such that I use mostly the ones that are on the K-S1 body and my shooting is a leisurely pursuit, so quick menus aren't a big deal. If I were shooting sports all the time, or shooting to a deadline I would probably feel different. But I do landscape, macro, travel and general arty stuff that pleases me, so no big deal. Lots of features can be fun, but I'm happier with simple most of the time.
07-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I know that control overload got to me. I customized the K-5 wheels for Av and TV.. But to what? Does the bonus wheel do ISO, EV adjust, program revert, ?? My fault for over thinking, but its an easy trap for those who don't commonly change modes to form habits..
07-15-2015, 05:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I totally agree. I very much PREFER the single wheel arrangement on the K-S1. I very rarely find myself adjusting both parameters in my usual very short bursts of snapping. In fact, the default is almost always to use Tav, set the speed according to the focal length of the lens and the ambient light, then change the aperture for the bokeh effect I want, and to hell with the ISO because the K-S1 is very satisfactory up to ISO1600.

BY THE WAY - see that silver facing on the left side of the picture of the green pink and grey cameras shown above? (It's on the right as you hold the camera) Be very very careful with it, it scratches very easily - the plastic zip of my messenger style camera bag gouged 4 or 5 quite deep scratches as I put the camera into the bag once.

Last edited by Bagga_Txips; 07-15-2015 at 05:53 PM.
07-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #9
Lens Buying Addict

'Back' is for 'Bigger (Aperture)'. 'Front' is for 'Faster (Shutter)'. 'Index Finger' is for 'ISO'.

My big argument with my K-01 every time I take it out is whether I need to push the button before I turn the wheel to do that, K-01 just laughs and says, "Try again, doofus."