Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2015, 06:35 AM   #1

How many K-S1's

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I own a K-S1. But never see anything, or photos refering to this camera. Does anyone know how many have been sold by Ricoh. Or is it a still born. I enjoy mine!

07-12-2015, 07:05 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF.

For an answer to your question, you might want to see this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/280044-fun-k-s1.html
07-12-2015, 08:01 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We don't any visibility into Ricoh's sales numbers, and very little view their primary market, Japan. At CP+, the Ricoh reps described sales of the K-S1 as "disappointing". So far as the English-speaking world goes, there have been only about a half-dozen K-S1 owners participating regularly here on Pentax Forums. Watching the "in stock" numbers at Amazon, they've sold most of the first shipment, but that's about it. My flickr pages dedicated to the K-S1 seem to get regular hits, so someone is searching for info on the little camera. If there are closeout deals at the end of the year, we may see a jump in K-S1 representation here, like we did for the K-01.

Welcome to the forum! Feel free to join in on the "Fun with the K-S1" thread - that's kind of been our K-S1 gathering place.
07-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JoMendel Quote
How many K-S1's
I'll just say welcome to you, as I know nothing about this wee camera.

07-12-2015, 08:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I've a white one coming soon on July 19th so I tweaked my signature banner to give it welcome!

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 07-19-2015 at 09:06 PM.
07-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #6

Original Poster
I grew up with film Pentaxes. Then *IstD's. K100, K10. Then Nikons, Canons, lumix etc.
i enjoy the K-S1 first if all for its size. Like a Canon 100D. The grip and controls takes very little time to get used too. We humans are quite adaptable! In all these forums, including Pentaxians, I have not heard of any problems or come back on a K-S1, but lots on most of the other top models. Maybe there are not so many in circulation. Mine works very well with all my old and ancient lenses! I think the reviews kill a lot if cameras right from the outset. Based on frames per sec and all sorts of other criteria. I prefer to read DPReview where it tells you about the camera and let you make your own decision. Enough said. It is a worth while piece of camera, let the pixel peepers and model poopers enjoy themselves!
07-12-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I own a K-S1. But never see anything, or photos refering to this camera. Does anyone know how many have been sold by Ricoh. Or is it a still born. I enjoy mine!
Welcome! Definitely participate in the fun with the K-S1 thread. There aren't that many active owners here, but the ones here are friendly and rather passionate about our little cameras.

I have no idea how many have been sold, but it's been the perfect camera for me.

I wish that they had stressed the size/weight factor more, that's the reason I originally got interested in it. It's not for everyone, but then the K3 etc. isn't right for me, either. I just hope Ricoh keeps making cameras along this line in the future, it's been wonderful for me to not have to struggle with a big, heavy camera any more. It's put the fun in photography again for me.

07-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Welcome! Definitely participate in the fun with the K-S1 thread. There aren't that many active owners here, but the ones here are friendly and rather passionate about our little cameras.

I have no idea how many have been sold, but it's been the perfect camera for me.

I wish that they had stressed the size/weight factor more, that's the reason I originally got interested in it.
I could wish they advertised it more - or at all. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen any Pentax ads at all. I'm happy just to use it in Av mode with a fixed ISO-100. SWMBO will probably just use it on auto. I see no reason to spend more on a K-3 or K-S2 to get a heavier camera with features that I'll never use. As it is we never use live-view; the viewfinder gives all the required info for the shot. What counts is IQ, not whether I can put the images up on Twitter 2.7 nanoseconds after taking them.

I'll probably prefer to use it with primes. The f2.4 35mm plastic fantastic is a good fit, and I'd like to get an smc -F f2.8 135mm but have yet to see one on ebay.

Yes. Definitely no regrets at all.
07-13-2015, 12:15 AM   #9

I'm disappointed that the KS1 appears to have been discontinued after only about 9 months, and also disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion in this forum; I don't think there are too many owners/fans here. But I am one, I recently managed to acquire a second one (white) for AUD 620, not that much cheaper than my first (blue) one which was AUD 700. I was hoping for bargain sales as happened with the K01, but decided I couldn't wait. But I have no regrets, the KS1 is a great camera— compact, good build quality but not too heavy, great IQ, and ergonomics that are OK when you get used to it. It even works with a hand strap!
07-13-2015, 09:11 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by houseofstyles Quote
I'm disappointed that the KS1 appears to have been discontinued after only about 9 months ...
What makes you think that? Still available for purchase here at:

Pentax KS-1 DSLR Camera - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

https://www.parkcameras.com/bc/37-89/pentax/digital-slr-cameras?p=1&q=89*37&...=14:17618&x=14

Pentax Cameras for Sale at Best Online Prices :: Step 2 Pentax DSLR Cameras (also on page 1, scroll down)

Pentax 20 to 20.9 Megapixels Digital SLR Cameras - Jessops
07-13-2015, 04:12 PM   #11

I based that on the fact that the second one I bought in June 2015 from B & H (NY) has a lower serial number than the first one I bought from CR Kennedy (Australia) in December 2014. So I assumed my second purchase was from stockpile 6 months+ old. I would be very pleased to learn that new ones are still being manufactured if that is the case.
07-13-2015, 08:36 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by houseofstyles Quote
I based that on the fact that the second one I bought in June 2015 from B & H (NY) has a lower serial number than the first one I bought from CR Kennedy (Australia) in December 2014. So I assumed my second purchase was from stockpile 6 months+ old. I would be very pleased to learn that new ones are still being manufactured if that is the case.
Sorry to be pedantic, but there is a huge difference between "discontinued" and "not being manufactured at the moment". Pentax only has the one plant in the Philippines, and I would assume they are also busy making K-S2s, K-3IIs, and (hopefully) the upcoming Full Frame. A recent analysis of K-3II serial numbers suggests they work in batch sizes of around 150, so it would be relatively easy to run off a few more K-S1s if there was demand. I also don't think very many K-S1s were shipped to the United States to begin with; it would not be at all surprising for B&H to still be selling stock from the original shipment. Units sold in Japan or perhaps China would be a better indicator of continued production.

Rather than go by serial numbers, I'd suggest using the Check Shutter Count utility to check your camera's manufacture date. (Mine was September 5th, 2014.)

Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader

Last edited by THoog; 07-13-2015 at 08:49 PM.
07-13-2015, 08:43 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I own a K-S1. But never see anything, or photos refering to this camera. ... I enjoy mine!

So do I, Jo ... check out the four pages of threads in the 'Pentax K-S1 & K-S2' forum.
07-13-2015, 08:48 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I own the K-S1 too, using my K-S1 mainly in birdie photography...
07-16-2015, 10:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have a feeling that after the Black Friday sales in the US at the end of the year there will be a few more K-S1 users.

The 250gms weight saving compared to a K3 is substantial. Add a few limited primes and you are all set.

Small and light and with an optical viewfinder.

Howie Be