Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-s1 first impressions

• Secondipity mailed the K-s1 inside a larger box with Zero padding. Guess they trust Ricoh
  • The 4-way pad and control ring do interfere a bit, practice practice..
  • "loud shutter" is quieter than my K-r bodies
  • I really like the micro-USB update over the micro-D port & cable!

Anything else would be a second impression.. nothing appalling at this point

07-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

The rear control group does take a little getting used to, but no worse than learning any new body, IMO. They rearranged the 4-way button layout after the K-r; the K-S1 is the same as the K-30 and successors. How's the grip for your hands?
07-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Grip is a bit challenging with 55-300, which will likely be the largest lens I use with it. Not bad, but we'll see. I have a white wrist strap coming soon but for now the shoulder strap is on.

Second first impressions
  • OK button is a bit squishy, I've double pressed it a few times
  • images look great for color and detail, no surprise; I can see why reviewers praise the 20Mpx sensor rendering!
  • AF screwdrive speed is a bit quicker = 55-300 is a bit less 'leisurely'
I look forward to shooting in lower light so I can see how the prism VF looks compared to the K-r's pentamirror. I do wish this could go EV-3 but I'll manage fine. Also need to check peaking and video soon..

---------- Post added 07-20-15 at 14:37 ----------

Third first .. OK you get it

I think this is the first Pentax where I have composed/focused a shot using 'real-live view' - while updating to FW 1.10 I could see my cat's face in the viewfinder while holding the camera a foot from my face! I rolled my K24 into focus, restarted the camera and green-button-snap, a nice image of Duncan napping by my K-s1 box and gear. That was fun
cropped only

I was surprised that the FW update did not run live from the Firmware menu option, i.e. I went to the old poweron+menubutton to update firmware. I thought that was long gone.. but the K-s1 has resurrected several selections from earlier generations. Not a big deal by any means, just surprising. Thankfully it wasn't a full-reset FW update, so my settings survived this time!

Also - thanks Qwntm for the FluCard deal great timing!

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 07-20-2015 at 03:42 PM. Reason: FW note
07-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I've done entire days at the zoo with the 55-300 and just a wrist cord (it was unintentional the first time). I thought you'd be pleased with the improvements in LiveView - it was barely usable with the K-x, tolerable with the K-r, finally getting there with FocusPeaking on the K-01/30/etc., and improved further with the K-S1 (10x zoom really helps with manual focus).

But did the "loud" shutter cause Duncan to jump up and run from the room?