Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2015, 06:26 PM   #16
Pentaxian

For quite sometime I pondered which to get, either K-S2 or K-5iis, (I don't need the 24MP of the K-3 yet) I decided to get the latter just because it is less expensive at this moment (product cycle thingy)

07-24-2015, 12:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a bit ironic. Quite a few people were earlier asking for a Pentax DSLR with a tilting screen and when they deliver it no one wants to buy it!

I have a K5, K-01 and a K3 so I have no need for it. If I was looking for small I'd go for the K-S1.

Personally a camera with K3 functionality with a K-S1 styled body, ie, small, would be great. Essentially a small true professionally featured body with a set of small limiteds, say a selection from 15mm, 21mm, 35mm macro and 70mm/77mm would make a great set. The K3 works well but is pretty big (although not big compared to equivalent Canikon's). The K-S2 is still too big to fill this role.

Howie Be
07-24-2015, 03:03 AM   #18

What I like about the K-S2 the most is that you can get the K50 as cheap as beans.
It almost became my first Pentax, but in the end I went for the "cheaper body, more glass" option.

I agree with you, the K-S2 is a nice entry point... but so far the K 50 offers a great value for half the price.
07-24-2015, 04:01 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
It's a bit ironic. Quite a few people were earlier asking for a Pentax DSLR with a tilting screen and when they deliver it no one wants to buy it!
because like the K-01 and the K-S1 the K-S2 looks alien to some of us

07-24-2015, 04:40 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
In what way alien (other than that it has a tilty screen)?
07-24-2015, 05:24 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
In what way alien (other than that it has a tilty screen)?
the K-01 = looks more ricoh than pentax with its brick shape and point and shoot style back

the K-S1 = rear mode dial looks like it belongs on a car stereo, cover the pentax logo and it kinda resembles a bridge camera

the K-S2 = the layout looks a little cramped and lost some of its resemblance to other pentax cameras
07-24-2015, 05:36 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
I said it before and I'll say it again: The K-S1 and K-S2 are not targeted towards previous Pentax owners. They were not meant to replace anything in the Pentax line-up. So it should be of no surprise that they do not appeal to many Pentax owners.
07-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
I have been in no less than three authorized Pentax dealers and have, in all cases, found that nobody even knew the K-S2 exists.

07-26-2015, 10:37 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Personally a camera with K3 functionality with a K-S1 styled body, ie, small, would be great. Essentially a small true professionally featured body with a set of small limiteds, say a selection from 15mm, 21mm, 35mm macro and 70mm/77mm would make a great set. The K3 works well but is pretty big (although not big compared to equivalent Canikon's). The K-S2 is still too big to fill this role.

Howie Be
Bingo: k.s1 +, DA15, k24, DFA50 1:1, m100 works for me. If the K.s2 were below $400 it might have had a chance at me, but I'd prefer a tip screen and Flucard. No AA filter preferred so no K.50 for me.
07-27-2015, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #25
abe

The price is still high, that would be the main reason. It will go down in time.

The k-s2 is a great camera all around. Image quality and size is superb. The tilt screen though is a big advantage, specially for tripod use.

One thing to also take into account is the weight difference between k-s2 and k-3. After walking for hours with the thing I'm pretty sure anyone will notice.
07-27-2015, 10:19 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Costco online is selling the K-S2 in a bundle with two zooms, although there is some confusion exactly which lens are included. Too bad they don't sell them in the warehouses. There's an upcoming $120 off special I posted in the Price Watch section.

Costco has sold the K-30/50 before and some of the WGs when they were still branded Pentax..
07-27-2015, 10:37 AM - 3 Likes   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Whatevs, you guys! The K-S2 was meant for me. Just because one person has no need for it doesn't mean its a superfluous body, or a waste of Pentax's time. I spent two solid years with the K-30 and when then K-S2 was announced, I instantly knew I wanted it. The sensor is a huge improvement (in regard to noise and detail) over the K-30's - don't kid yourself and say that it's not. The articulated screen has been useful in more than a handful of occasions, and the Wi-Fi is a treat.

I don't use anything but manual lenses, so I really wouldn't utilize a lot of the advanced (focus-point etc) features and whatnot that the K-3 offers, and 24MP sounds like it would seriously bloat up my hard drive space - I was already disappointed that the K-S2 had was 20MP size, but again, I love the performance of the sensor, so that could be a moot point. I can say with almost complete certainty that the full-frame is going to be way beyond me - WAY too much camera for my glass and my abilities (just like the K-3 and K-3II).

I don't think you guys should criticize the K-S2 until you own one for a while. ;-) And check out my Flickr album: click here.
07-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The S-line are attempts to grow the market - higher priced to attract people who normally buy premium products and want to upgrade to their first DSLR.

The K-50 and K-3 are aimed at traditional buyers with traditional features and pricing.

Having said that, the small form factor and great image quality of the K-S1 meant I bought it as an excellent travel camera. :-)
07-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #29
Site Supporter

I got the KS2 though with some doubts, I love my K3. But I just got back from a month in Israel, visiting historical sites, archaeological sites, and spending 3 weeks on an archaeological excavation and the flexible screen, WiFi and other features, combined with Pentax light-small and weather-sealing against wind-blown dust, I sort of fell totally in love with my KS2. It's the little camera that can, and the more I use it, the smaller, lighter, and handier it feels, even though I mainly used it with the venerable old battle-axe, the DA 18-250! That lens has earned its keep for me more than any other glass I own. I've bought and sold other, better lenses, but the DA 18-250 remains my "if I can only have one lens" glass. I've thought of upgrading to the DA 17-270, but I keep on being happy with the 18-250, except for lack of weather-sealing.
07-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Funny. I was just reading the K-S2 review on Imaging Resource & the reviewer came down to this conclusion.

Pentax K-S2 Review: Now Shooting! - Field Test Part II

QuoteQuote:
The biggest argument against the K-S2? The incredibly impressive Pentax K-3

Honestly, I think that the biggest problem this camera faces is its flagship sibling, the Pentax K-3. With such a small difference in street pricing between the K-S2 and K-3, it's hard to recommend that you buy the mid-range model unless size, weight and the LCD articulation are particularly high on your wish list. While the K-S2 has a great build for its pricepoint, the Pentax K-3 is really unrivaled in terms of its build quality and feature-set among sub-$1,000 DSLRs.

My advice to you, dear reader, is this: Sit down and make a list of a few of the most important features you'll need in your next DSLR, based on the subjects you plan to shoot. If at least three of the top five aren't size, weight and LCD viewing versatility, go and read my Pentax K-3 review now. (You can thank me later!) But if they top your list, give the Pentax K-S2 a very close look -- just be aware that since it represents a brand-new direction for Pentax, it comes accompanied by some teething problems in the Wi-Fi and kit-lens departments.
I rather spend the extra money for the K-3 as well. The K-S2 is a very nice camera & has some handy features, but it's a first year/brand model. It's going to take a few more of these to work out the kinks. Kinda like first year car models that have a few kinks (i.e.: the "Toybaru" twins). The K-S3 or whatever version comes out next should be ironed out. Maybe the next Pentax APS-C flagship might get an articulated screen & have all the kinks worked out by then.