Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
I asked the only camera shop in my neck of the woods that stock the k-s1, the answer i got was for every k-s1 sold they sell about 10 K-50 + 18-135/3.5-5.6 WR as a kit
Even though that's the experience of just one shop, it's still not what Ricoh would hope for.

The K-50 is a photographer's DSLR, and that market is already sewn up between Canon and Nikon. The K-50 and its cheap K-500 variant never changed Pentax sales being miniscule outside Japan.

None of this reflects on the actual quality of the K-50, K-3, K-S1 and K-S2 cameras, of course.

08-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I asked the only camera shop in my neck of the woods that stock the k-s1, the answer i got was for every k-s1 sold they sell about 10 K-50 + 18-135/3.5-5.6 WR as a kit

if it wasn't for my love of b&w film i would be tempted to buy that kit
I presume from what you say that they don't stock the K-S2. I can't say I'm surprised that the K-S1 is a slow mover.
08-04-2015, 02:14 PM   #48
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I presume from what you say that they don't stock the K-S2. I can't say I'm surprised that the K-S1 is a slow mover.
I still want one of the purple ones!
08-04-2015, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wait, wait wait - there are a number of concepts here that just don't make any sense to me: "camera shop that stocks the K-S1", "camera shop that has sold a K-S1", "camera shop that has sold tens of K-50 kits", "camera shop that stocks any Pentax whatsoever"...

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I still want one of the purple ones!
I thought you said you wanted the pink one? (No, seriously - I thought you had said so a couple times.)

08-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I thought you said you wanted the pink one? (No, seriously - I thought you had said so a couple times.)
I think I said I wanted the white K-S2 that had the pink bottom... or green bottom? Something had a bright colored bottom :-| Anyway, I ended up not liking how the 3:2 screen looked on the white body (weird, I know)... but I really love that dusky purple K-S1... The color is just gorgeous. I wish the K-S2 had come in that color. The sports car blue is pretty nice, too... We're getting off subject, though.

What I wonder is: What do the numbers REALLY look like? I NEED COLD HARD FACTS.
08-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I said I wanted the white K-S2 that had the pink bottom... or green bottom? Something had a bright colored bottom :-| Anyway, I ended up not liking how the 3:2 screen looked on the white body (weird, I know)... but I really love that dusky purple K-S1... The color is just gorgeous. I wish the K-S2 had come in that color. The sports car blue is pretty nice, too... We're getting off subject, though.
Well, there goes your birthday present...

What I wonder is: What do the numbers REALLY look like? I NEED COLD HARD FACTS.
The problem with any appraisal of how a Pentax body is selling that doesn't include Japan is missing a huge chunk of data, and probably more important data than anything we do have. And we here on PF almost never have any facts about Japan.** We might as well argue about the weather while indoors in a windowless room.

**Fact about Japan: Japan is an island country in East Asia. I'll stand by that, even though I read it on Wikipedia.
08-04-2015, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

What do the numbers REALLY look like?

Notoriously, most companies don't like giving actual sales numbers for various items, not to the public, not even to stockholders.

They think the negatives of such disclosures outweigh the positives.

Even a massive company like Apple picks and chooses - it's been coy on its Watch sales, for instance.

The Japanese camera firms traditionally will let their data be aggregated so as to be non-identifying - this is the source of CIPA figures.
08-05-2015, 01:47 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
they have a K-S2 and K3 on display but not in stock (they just order it in if someone wants it) its just a small shop they cant stock everything, and like most small retail outlets they survive and fall based on how quickly they can shift stock.

this is just my opinion but if ricoh wants to sell the K-S line they better offer cashback deals (this is not to attract customers but to encourage retailers to stock and push the product)

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
did anyone else automatically think samsung and fujifilm at this line?
luckily must distributors have loose lips and will give you rma figures if asked nicely

08-05-2015, 05:20 AM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Notoriously, most companies don't like giving actual sales numbers for various items, not to the public, not even to stockholders.

Even a massive company like Apple picks and chooses - it's been coy on its Watch sales, for instance.

The Japanese camera firms traditionally will let their data be aggregated so as to be non-identifying - this is the source of CIPA figures.
That's alright. I was lying, anyway. I don't really care what the numbers look like. Too busy taking pictures. ;-)
08-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #55
Site Supporter

I don't know about the total sales numbers, but I do know that my local camera store just sold a black, body only K-S2.

I've only had time to do the initial set up but I'm pleased with what I see so far.
08-05-2015, 09:06 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JRMax Quote
I don't know about the total sales numbers, but I do know that my local camera store just sold a black, body only K-S2.

I've only had time to do the initial set up but I'm pleased with what I see so far.

It'll be missing a few prosumer's features you would have gotten on a K-50 or K-3, JR, but it has consumer ones they don't have, so I'm sure you're going to be very happy with it!
08-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #57

I think most of you guys that say the camera isn't selling super well due to the pricing of the K-50 are more or less correct. I was in the market for my first DSLR until last week and had decided I would buy a Pentax camera. I was pretty much set on the K-50 with the 18-135mm kit lens but then changed my mind and got the K-S2 with the 18-50 kit lens. I guess I think having a newer body is better as I can get a used lens or two as I improve my photography skills and learn how to use the camera. Although I can see why a lot of people would go for the K-50 as it seems like a great choice and is pretty cheap.
08-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KaloyanK Quote
I think most of you guys that say the camera isn't selling super well due to the pricing of the K-50 are more or less correct. I was in the market for my first DSLR until last week and had decided I would buy a Pentax camera. I was pretty much set on the K-50 with the 18-135mm kit lens but then changed my mind and got the K-S2 with the 18-50 kit lens. I guess I think having a newer body is better as I can get a used lens or two as I improve my photography skills and learn how to use the camera. Although I can see why a lot of people would go for the K-50 as it seems like a great choice and is pretty cheap.
All I can say is where are all the macro guys. I am so annoyed at being down on my knees trying to focus through a right angle attachment, just the tilting back screen for live view is worth the price of admission.

This is really rotting my sox. Before this camera there were all kinds of people on here absolutely trashing Pentax for not having a tilting back screen. OK< the K-S2 is out, did these folks go out and by one... from appearances, no... are they one here pointing out how wonderful a tilting back screen is? No that's left to me, a guy who doesn't have one, but has used the back screen on the K-01 on may instances and can speculate how much more useful it would be if it tilted.

It makes you wonder, how many of the complaints are actually legit? How many are the result of someone having a painful hangover and expressing their discomfort with help of a keyboard in the only forum that might pay even a teeny tiny little bit of attention to them. You can find more than a few praises of the tilting back screen on other threads in reference to other systems.

I bet not one of those dudes bought a K-S2, they certainly didn't post in this thread.

I wonder if you can extrapolate this bitching about missing Pentax capabilities and then not buying and therefore being able to comment on the Pentax version, will be mirrored with the full frame. After all, there's a huge difference between noting some feature is missing from some camera, and noting that some other camera has it, and being willing to actually pay for the missing feature if it's offered.

But at least the "Pentax should have a tilting back screen" crowd has left the building. That's worth making the K-S2 even if it doesn't sell. The place will be even better once the FF is out.

Since all my macro lenses are FF lenses, if the FF comes out with a tilting back screen, it will become my dream camera for landscape and macro work. If not, the K-S2 will at some point be purchased for macro work.

Last edited by normhead; 08-23-2015 at 12:09 PM.
08-23-2015, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
All I can say is where are all the macro guys. I am so annoyed at being down on my knees trying to focus through a right angle attachment, just the tilting back screen for live view is worth the price of admission.

This is really rotting my sox. Before this camera there were all kinds of people on here absolutely trashing Pentax for not having a tilting back screen. OK< the K-S2 is out, did these folks go out and by one... from appearances, no... are they one here pointing out how wonderful a tilting back screen is? No that's left to me, a guy who doesn't have one, but has used the back screen on the K-01 on may instances and can speculate how much more useful it would be if it tilted.

It makes you wonder, how many of the complaints are actually legit? How many are the result of someone having a painful hangover and expressing their discomfort with help of a keyboard in the only forum that might pay even a teeny tiny little bit of attention to them. You can find more than a few praises of the tilting back screen on other threads in reference to other systems.

I bet not one of those dudes bought a K-S2, they certainly didn't post in this thread.

I wonder if you can extrapolate this bitching about missing Pentax capabilities and then not buying and therefore being able to comment on the Pentax version, will be mirrored with the full frame. After all, there's a huge difference between noting some feature is missing from some camera, and noting that some other camera has it, and being willing to actually pay for the missing feature if it's offered.

But at least the "Pentax should have a tilting back screen" crowd has left the building. That's worth making the K-S2 even if it doesn't sell. The place will be even better once the FF is out.

Since all my macro lenses are FF lenses, if the FF comes out with a tilting back screen, it will become my dream camera for landscape and macro work. If not, the K-S2 will at some point be purchased for macro work.
I am new to this forum but I do remember seeing talk of how Pentax doesn't have a rotating screen and needs it badly. Not sure about others but I really like the screen so far. Overall the camera is great as well, I took it on a all day trip to a state park yesterday and it performed very well. I took close to 200 shots just to get used to it and so on and cannot be happier, I think it's definitely a great camera and worth the $ (that is my opinion as someone who is a novice anyway).

Last edited by KaloyanK; 08-23-2015 at 01:28 PM.
08-24-2015, 03:49 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

+1 to that. And let us not forget the K-S1 bashers (how many even touched one let alone take a few pictures) and the "won't buy FF without on-board flash" crowd (until the silent poll showed them to be >12%). Of course with the release of the K3ii they started piping up again. I wish Adam would run a silent poll on video capability.

This post sums up Pentax bashers/doomsayers pretty much:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/293750-flash-no-flash-13.html#post3242220