Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2015, 04:49 AM   #61
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
+1 to that. And let us not forget the K-S1 bashers (how many even touched one let alone take a few pictures) and the "won't buy FF without on-board flash" crowd (until the silent poll showed them to be >12%). Of course with the release of the K3ii they started piping up again. I wish Adam would run a silent poll on video capability.

This post sums up Pentax bashers/doomsayers pretty much:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/293750-flash-no-flash-13.html#post3242220
Thanks for bringing this excellent post by SteveBrot with its summary to my attention. Definitely sticky material.

08-25-2015, 03:37 AM   #62

QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
post by SteveBrot
SteveBrot forgot to mention forum trolls

personally i still think the k-s1 has the aesthetics of a car stereo
08-25-2015, 06:53 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
No, no, no - a car stereo has TWO dials. When I think of all the cars I've driven, 'car stereo' brings to mind everything from chrome to fake wood to real wood to black plastic, from a metal rectangle with a knob on either side two and a row of preset buttons to just a featureless touchscreen. So, anything, really. Anyway, if you spend more time looking at a camera than through the viewfinder, you're doing something horribly wrong.
08-26-2015, 07:00 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, I wanted a K-S2. Still do. But the price in Australia is horrendous. $925 body only I have to make do with my K5 and K200D, and a couple of superzooms with vari-angle screens if I want to get down low... which I also can't, like an earlier poster, because of knees, back, osteoarthritis etc.

08-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #65

body only k-s1's are selling for $399nzd new here in new zealand at the moment *appox $340CAD or $260USD*
08-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Whatevs, you guys! The K-S2 was meant for me. Just because one person has no need for it doesn't mean its a superfluous body, or a waste of Pentax's time. I spent two solid years with the K-30 and when then K-S2 was announced, I instantly knew I wanted it. The sensor is a huge improvement (in regard to noise and detail) over the K-30's - don't kid yourself and say that it's not. The articulated screen has been useful in more than a handful of occasions, and the Wi-Fi is a treat.

I don't use anything but manual lenses, so I really wouldn't utilize a lot of the advanced (focus-point etc) features and whatnot that the K-3 offers, and 24MP sounds like it would seriously bloat up my hard drive space - I was already disappointed that the K-S2 had was 20MP size, but again, I love the performance of the sensor, so that could be a moot point. I can say with almost complete certainty that the full-frame is going to be way beyond me - WAY too much camera for my glass and my abilities (just like the K-3 and K-3II).

I don't think you guys should criticize the K-S2 until you own one for a while. ;-) And check out my Flickr album: click here.
Yeah, those are great pix !! Love the stadium-wide selfie!

I was meant for the ks-2 as well. I need a tough flexible camera that works in the FL swamps ...look for my colorful photo coming up in the August contest!
08-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by toms957 Quote
Yeah, those are great pix !! Love the stadium-wide selfie!

I was meant for the ks-2 as well. I need a tough flexible camera that works in the FL swamps ...look for my colorful photo coming up in the August contest!
Tom you will like it. I'm sold on mine, coming from a K5 which I still have. The image quality is tops and that articulated screen is great along with the focus peaking. The extra megapixels really allows for some great crops as well.
08-29-2015, 09:41 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
SteveBrot forgot to mention forum trolls

He also forgot to mention the guys posting from stores that do not carry Pentax gear, bad mouthing the brand in an effort to secure business. Also, Canon or Nikon employees on company time, posting for the same reason. We've nabbed a few of those. IMHO, anyone who would pay the money for a Pentax system, who would then trash it's features, is suspect.

We even had a guy promoting Nikon gear, he sold second hand Pentax gear, but he had a large amount of unsold Nikon gear. He started bashing Pentax, actually convinced a couple of guys to switch to Nikon, and then sold them his excess Nikon stock as part of the deal. Never take a basher at face value.

The ones that make me curious are the guys that have moved on to other gear, then come back here and post, as if we're supposed to think they are some kinds of gods of photography. They obviously think we are going to go "wow, I need to buy what you bought", and have no idea how unconvincing their work is as an advert for the system they use." One recently posted a bunch of wildlife images that I would be embarrassed to post in the 300 plus lens club. It certainly doesn't compare (except for one image) with what's posted there. It's almost like the guy is saying "look, I have to have a $3k camera and a $3k lens to post what you guys do for $2.5k". How weird is that?

Last edited by normhead; 08-29-2015 at 09:48 AM.
08-29-2015, 10:08 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

Then there's the general debasement of western culture, such that unbridled criticism intended to reduce everyone and everything to a least-common-denominator is preferable to accepting someone or something is different or better than you or yours - and working to improve yourself.
08-29-2015, 11:03 AM   #70
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
the general debasement of western culture
All this from lonely posters who wrap up their self-esteem in material objects that no one in real life even notices? Camera bling is a poor substitute for a big, ostentatious house, a shiny new yellow car or young eye candy whose full time job is making herself look good.

I have to agree that the Internet does more to enable our neuroses than any other component of modern culture. In the good old days, most people eventually got tired of muttering to themselves and started to get on with their lives. Then came dehumanized online discussion forums and the mindless muttering that no one paid attention to became an avalanche. Somewhere in the universe of billions of Internet travelers is at least one other miserable individual who will engage and attack my pet dogma in exchange for me doing to the same to someone else. Ideally, the person I provoke will turn on me, so we both get instant gratification, but if our first attempt to get a reaction fails, the efficiency of digital media allows us to spread our self-loathing around the globe in record time. Maybe you are right, the Decline of Western Civilization is fast approaching the Inevitable Station and I've been too lazy to notice.
11-11-2015, 07:24 PM - 2 Likes   #71
Site Supporter

Just ordered a KS2 from COSTCO w/two lenses and a case for $497 delivered. The tilt screen and price is what sold me. I've been a Canon G series user for 10+ years (through several upgrades) and decided to get a new camera. The latest G has a fixed screen; no go. Was almost going to a Nikon DSLR, when I researched Pentax and found the KS2; exactly what I was looking for at the right price. I'll pick up a Pentax 50mm 1.8 lens, as in the past had a fast 85mm on my film Nikons and loved it. Dropped out of serious photography a while back. Now might get into it for a bit.
11-11-2015, 07:36 PM   #72
Pentaxian

I live in Canada, but even so, if I could get one at that price I'd have ordered one, and figured out how to pay for it later.
11-11-2015, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #73
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Church Key Quote
Just ordered a KS2 from COSTCO w/two lenses and a case for $497 delivered. The tilt screen and price is what sold me. I've been a Canon G series user for 10+ years (through several upgrades) and decided to get a new camera. The latest G has a fixed screen; no go. Was almost going to a Nikon DSLR, when I researched Pentax and found the KS2; exactly what I was looking for at the right price. I'll pick up a Pentax 50mm 1.8 lens, as in the past had a fast 85mm on my film Nikons and loved it. Dropped out of serious photography a while back. Now might get into it for a bit.
Amazing bargain! I don't regret pre-ordering mine, though. I've had 8 solid months of great performance. You're gonna love it!
11-12-2015, 01:44 PM   #74

I have a K-S2 on its way. It started the morning in Inchon. It's probably somewhere over the Pacific. Supposed to be at my front door tomorrow!
11-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #75
Site Supporter

Mine showed up in the brown truck today. Read the manual and took a few pics. Prefer the viewfinder over the screen. The 18-55 lens is somewhat of a PIA to unfold from its collapsed position. Just ordered a 50mm 1.8 from Amazon, another memory card and battery. I now remember why SLR's became so expensive; collecting lenses. At least the Pentax lenses are reasonable. Will probably start looking for a fast wide angle. Oh well, life is too short to worry saving for the future; duh.