Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2015, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #76

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
+1 to that. And let us not forget the K-S1 bashers (how many even touched one let alone take a few pictures) and the "won't buy FF without on-board flash" crowd (until the silent poll showed them to be >12%). Of course with the release of the K3ii they started piping up again. I wish Adam would run a silent poll on video capability.

This post sums up Pentax bashers/doomsayers pretty much:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/293750-flash-no-flash-13.html#post3242220
Polls do always show the full or even a true picture. Many photographers will say one thing which marketeers believe because they want to, but in real life (the same photographers) would be very upset when they find the facility which was occasionally in the used in the past when their main flash was at home, now missing from the camera they said they did not need it for. Car spare wheels also fall into this category as do viewfinders. Ever tried taking a picture in very sunny conditions, particularly if you have difficulting in seeing things close at hand clearly?. Spare wheels are rarely used but when you need one, boy do you need one!

Personally I do not need video and therefore believe? I could buy a camera without it. But when I look at my photographic archive I find I have a small number of treasured moments on video. So yes I do not normally need video but it is still an important facility for occasional use and I would need to rember that if such a Poll as suggested by Not a Number existed.

In closing, I note that I have just bought a K3 in preference to the K3ii: no need to tell you why!

11-15-2015, 02:31 PM   #77
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why K-S2 was not my choice

The main reason is that the K-S2 did not have the choice of using AA batteries such as the K50.
The tilting screen is very nice, and, a feature I wanted to see Pentax implement, but the fact they left out the AA battery option killed the deal for me.
GR
11-16-2015, 05:51 AM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by grcolts Quote
The main reason is that the K-S2 did not have the choice of using AA batteries such as the K50.
The tilting screen is very nice, and, a feature I wanted to see Pentax implement, but the fact they left out the AA battery option killed the deal for me.
GR
Same here.

I was tempted to upgrade my K50 for the expanded feature set in the S2. However a key reason I chose it (the 50) for my long term back up camera was the option to use AA batteries as an insurance against battery failures in the wrong place at the wrong time and a touch of future proofing to boot it was a no go. I am by nature a cautious guy when it comes to some kinds of technology.
11-21-2015, 05:49 AM   #79

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LoneWolf Quote
Same here.

I was tempted to upgrade my K50 for the expanded feature set in the S2. However a key reason I chose it (the 50) for my long term back up camera was the option to use AA batteries as an insurance against battery failures in the wrong place at the wrong time and a touch of future proofing to boot it was a no go. I am by nature a cautious guy when it comes to some kinds of technology.
I can see some reason for the AA requirement, because they are available in a shop. But the backup battery has several advantages, cheap 3rd party, low self discharge. The biggest problem is a mains charger. I found this USB battery charger, USB-Charger for Pentax D-Li109 / K-30, K-50, K-500, K-r: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
Even a 12v cigarette lighter point in a car can be easily changed into a usb charging point. Together with this cheap 3rd party battery charger, backup is available. I think the AA point is over emphasised, especially as this implies many more contact points for it to operate.

12-01-2015, 12:23 AM   #80
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Agree, 14bit RAW and increased DR is more important for me than flippy screen and wifi. I am waiting for the successor of k-3 with BSI sensor.
I agree as 14 bits is very helpful not only for the low light area, but for the mid tonality, especially if the image is underexposed.
I like many things about K-S2 except number of focusing points, rough shutter and 14 bits. I can live with less direct controls.
Leo
12-02-2015, 08:30 AM   #81
Pentaxian

IF it really isn't selling well, I think it's a price question. I've been looking at the price of the K-S2 recently, and on the one hand it's too close to the original K-3 (and even the K-3 ii with e.g. black friday rebates), and on the other hand it's too expensive compared to the K-50. Of course if you really want the extra pixels and that swivel screen, the K-50 might be out of question. But if the K-50 also fits your needs, you pay 30% (or maybe even more) less than for the K-S2.

I've been looking at the K-S1, too, which is not easy to find anymore, but I've seen some tempting offers. Is there any reason at all to choose it over the K-50 except for price? The 20mp? The hdmi out?
12-03-2015, 12:19 PM   #82
Veteran Member

I still keep looking at the K-S2, and here in Oz its still $925 body only ... thats just over the top for me.

12-03-2015, 12:37 PM   #83
Pentaxian

IS this thread still alive... holy Toledo...
I still can't find one for less than 799 Canadian with the 18-50 and 50-200. That's too much for a second tier camera. I'd still probably buy another K-3 first.
I'd like $599 Canadian, with the two lenses, the 50-200 would be a christmas present of the daughter in law, to go with the K-x gave her, and, the `18-50 would go with my K-01. It's collapsing feature makes it the perfect pocket lens for my pocket camera. And the camera will be our macro camera, with that tilting screen used for low angle macro images. I've got plans for everything, just not the money.

If I was living in the US and I could get it for $799 with my US dollars, I'd be so laughing. Funny how when the currency loses 20 % of it's value, no one gives you a raise to make up the difference.
12-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #84

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
IS this thread still alive... holy Toledo...
I still can't find one for less than 799 Canadian with the 18-50 and 50-200. That's too much for a second tier camera. I'd still probably buy another K-3 first.
I'd like $599 Canadian, with the two lenses, the 50-200 would be a christmas present of the daughter in law, to go with the K-x gave her, and, the `18-50 would go with my K-01. It's collapsing feature makes it the perfect pocket lens for my pocket camera. And the camera will be our macro camera, with that tilting screen used for low angle macro images. I've got plans for everything, just not the money.

If I was living in the US and I could get it for $799 with my US dollars, I'd be so laughing. Funny how when the currency loses 20 % of it's value, no one gives you a raise to make up the difference.
Don't know if it would help, but the price is almost there at adorama.com $650.76 USD for the two lens kit.
12-04-2015, 08:35 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by martym Quote
Don't know if it would help, but the price is almost there at adorama.com $650.76 USD for the two lens kit.
Yeah. But the Loonie is worth like $.30 now
12-04-2015, 08:56 AM   #86
Pentaxian

$650.79 Canadian is. $876.85 Canadian..

$799 CDN is 599 American, get yer K-S2s here.

Camera Canada :: Pentax :: Pentax K-S2 20MP w/DAL 18-50/50-200 WR Lens BLACK
12-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I've been looking at the K-S1, too, which is not easy to find anymore, but I've seen some tempting offers. Is there any reason at all to choose it over the K-50 except for price? The 20mp? The hdmi out?
I would go K-50 over K-S1 for the bigger grip and more 'traditional' styling.
I still can't find one for less than 799 Canadian with the 18-50 and 50-200. That's too much for a second tier camera.
I would like to see it around $600 as well, not that I want one...
I got my K-50 last year for $600 with the two kit lenses, it would be nice to see the K-S2 drop to the same. TO day a K-50 with the two lenses could probably be had for $450 canadian.
12-04-2015, 09:04 AM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I would go K-50 over K-S1 for the bigger grip and more 'traditional' styling.

I would like to see it around $600 as well, not that I want one...
I got my K-50 last year for $600 with the two kit lenses, it would be nice to see the K-S2 drop to the same. TO day a K-50 with the two lenses could probably be had for $450 canadian.
If only it had that tilting back screen. I may end up breaking the bank for the FF, just to get that screen.
01-13-2016, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #89
Forum Member

If only it had that tilting back screen. I may end up breaking the bank for the FF, just to get that screen.
I've had all of the Minolta D and Konica Minolta A cameras. I really love that simple flip up screen so I can take low perspective pictures w/o actually being down there. I was going to buy a K-50, then thought about losing that flip screen. Did my research and found the K-S2. If you don't think the flip screen doesn't open up new photographic opportunities, think again. And I ain't even talking selfies. Gag.
01-16-2016, 07:29 AM   #90

fully articulating screent is the gamechanger

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I disagree. I'm a Pentax owner, and I'm leaning heavily towards the K-S2 simply for the tilt screen. I have bad knees & bad back, to when I want to take a photo of something low, I cannot do it. With the tilt screen I'd be able to.
The fully articulating screen i the gamechanger for K-S2. It is one thing which sets it apart from all currently available Pentax cameras.
Here even the K-3 and K-3 II arent in race with K-S2.

for me It would make a huge difference.