Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #91
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
The fully articulating screen i the gamechanger for K-S2. It is one thing which sets it apart from all currently available Pentax cameras.
Here even the K-3 and K-3 II arent in race with K-S2.

for me It would make a huge difference.
The quote from me was quite a few months old. With the great price on the K-3, it definitely put it in the race with the K-S2, and I bought the K-3. I'm very happy & thrilled with my choice; even without the articulating screen!

01-17-2016, 08:21 AM   #92
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
The quote from me was quite a few months old. With the great price on the K-3, it definitely put it in the race with the K-S2, and I bought the K-3. I'm very happy & thrilled with my choice; even without the articulating screen!
Having had cameras both with and without, I found that with a tilt screen I had many more opportunities for interesting perspectives. For me, the tilt screen was the deal maker to buy the KS-2 vs. the K-3. In fact, otherwise I would have just bought the K-50 and saved a lot of money.

But, as long as you're happy, I'm happy! LOL! As I read once in an argument about which BBQ regional style is the best, it noted, "It's all good." Not only is that true for BBQ, but I apply that wisdom now to many things in my life. I have no need to convince others what I like is better than their preference.

Heck if we all weren't somewhat individualists here, we'd be shooting Nikons.
01-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #93

QuoteOriginally posted by paulvzo Quote
Having had cameras both with and without, I found that with a tilt screen I had many more opportunities for interesting perspectives. For me, the tilt screen was the deal maker to buy the KS-2 vs. the K-3. In fact, otherwise I would have just bought the K-50 and saved a lot of money.

But, as long as you're happy, I'm happy! LOL! As I read once in an argument about which BBQ regional style is the best, it noted, "It's all good." Not only is that true for BBQ, but I apply that wisdom now to many things in my life. I have no need to convince others what I like is better than their preference.

Heck if we all weren't somewhat individualists here, we'd be shooting Nikons.
yes, In the Pentax universe the USP of K-S2 is the Articulating screen, I cannot imagine photography without one.

other than this and wifi-nfc and weight, the K-3 is better than K-S2 in almost every regards.
01-17-2016, 09:00 AM   #94
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulvzo Quote
I have no need to convince others what I like is better than their preference.
What you may like definitely does not apply to what others like or need. I had a previous camera, another brand; with the articulating screen. While it was very nice in certain situations, I definitely do not regret getting the K3. The K3 has the top LCD screen which I use a lot. A battery grip is available for the K3, again is important to me. These items, plus more; makes the K3 the best choice for me, and more than makes up for no articulating screen.

We all have to decide which features are the most important to our usage; but in the end, one cannot go wrong with any Pentax camera!

Last edited by csa; 01-17-2016 at 09:54 AM.
01-17-2016, 05:52 PM   #95
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
What you may like definitely does not apply to what others like or need. I had a previous camera, another brand; with the articulating screen. While it was very nice in certain situations, I definitely do not regret getting the K3. The K3 has the top LCD screen which I use a lot. A battery grip is available for the K3, again is important to me. These items, plus more; makes the K3 the best choice for me, and more than makes up for no articulating screen.

We all have to decide which features are the most important to our usage; but in the end, one cannot go wrong with any Pentax camera!
My old Minoltas digicams had a top LCD screen. Rarely used it!

So, yes, to each their own.
02-06-2016, 09:09 AM   #96

QuoteOriginally posted by ebooks4pentax Quote
They should have waited until the K-3 stocks were depleted or introduce the K-S2 at around $500.00.

What do you think?
I think they didn't have the luxury of waiting, especially when your after new customers (people shifting up from a point and shoot).
canon and nikon usually update their lineup every year in April and having a few months head start is usually a big advantage, but the slow coverage in press and social media meant no one knew the K-S2 was available to buy except actual camera enthusiasts.

the full frame will be out before the K-3 Stocks are depleted

ps. 18-50mm DA-L lens they like to bundle with the K-S2 can cause you to shout profanities at it, anyone whose owned this lens will know what i mean :P
02-06-2016, 09:36 AM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have both a K-3 and KS-2. I like the KS-2 for sticking in my jacket pocket and going out in the snow or on my bike. The flip screen is useful now and then too. I wish the mode knob was the locking type.

I like the K-3 for more pixels and bits, more ruggedness, the grip, balance with a bigger lens, and better battery life (especially with the grip). The top LCD comes in handy and somewhat compensates for the lack of flip screen. The downsides are it gets colder to hold (metal) and it's a little bigger and heavier.

Both have their places in my collection. I used them both at the same time to shoot a bike race last weekend with a flash bracket on the KS-2 and it did pretty well.

02-06-2016, 09:50 AM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
18-50mm DA-L lens they like to bundle with the K-S2 can cause you to shout profanities at it, anyone whose owned this lens will know what i mean
:P
Most people probably haven't owned it, so please describe/explain.
02-06-2016, 10:05 AM   #99
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm still saving up for one... it will replace my K-01 and K5 as my K-3 back-up. 12 bit or 14 bit is pretty irrelevant on APS-c.

The difference between my K20D and K-5 in dynamic range, was 11.4 to 14.1. That is barely noticeable. Looking at side by side images, some forum users claim the difference doesn't exist. . The difference between a K-01 at 12.9 and a K-5 at 14.1 is to my eye indistinguishable.

Be wary of people who may just be talking stats with no real world experience. I seriously doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between a K-S2 file and a K-3 file, 99.9% of the time. By the same token of a K-3 is rated at 13.4 EV on DxO, if that difference of .7 EV is such a big deal to anyone, they'll never move up to a K-3 from a K-5.

But the simple fact is, the K-3 gives you more resolution on every file. The K-5II gives you more Dynamic range on only some files. Many of my files do not produce a histogram that touches both edges of the graph. That means they don't use the full dynamic range available to from the sensor, because not every scene has 13 EV in nature. Maximum DR is really only of interest to me for sunsets, where i need good shadow detail.

From what I can tell the K-S2 should have a DR of 13 EV. Compare to the 13.4 of a K-3 you're only losing bragging rights, not actual image IQ. And you're gaining about 200 lw/ph over a K5IIs (200 less than a K-3, but really, my K-3 is for cropping.) On images where DR isn't taxed, which is a very high percentage of people's images, the K-S2 is a step up form a K-5II, unless we're discussing what we imagine, and other differences we can't see.

Last edited by normhead; 02-06-2016 at 10:16 AM.
02-06-2016, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #100

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
It locks in place when fully collapsed and can be a real bear to get unlocked and extended. Because of this I pretty much never collapse mine.

---------- Post added 02-06-16 at 20:59 ----------

I bought my K-S2 about a month ago. Paid like $510 for body and 18-50 lens from Adorama.

What drew me were many things. First I haven't shot since I used my K1000 back in the 80s and early 90s so Pentax name was familiar and I knew them to be good, solid cameras. As my first DSLR I was looking for controls I could identify with so the two dials (to replace lens ap and shutter control) looked like something I could easily learn. Also the weather sealing as I tend to be a bit rough on things. The 'flippy' screen looked very useful and has proved to be so.

I watched the reviews. Not many available but almost all were impressed with the camera, only downside seemed to be not great vid (don't care) and so-so kit lens. I can deal with the lens as I learn and then decide how to upgrade that.

The 'small grip' worried me but I went for it and have had no real problem. I have large hands (XL or better glove size). I hold the camera like I hold a Single Action Revolver with my pinky underneath and it works well for me.

All in all I am a very happy camper.
02-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #101

K-3 vs K-S2

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I have both a K-3 and KS-2. I like the KS-2 for sticking in my jacket pocket and going out in the snow or on my bike. The flip screen is useful now and then too. I wish the mode knob was the locking type.

I like the K-3 for more pixels and bits, more ruggedness, the grip, balance with a bigger lens, and better battery life (especially with the grip). The top LCD comes in handy and somewhat compensates for the lack of flip screen. The downsides are it gets colder to hold (metal) and it's a little bigger and heavier.

Both have their places in my collection. I used them both at the same time to shoot a bike race last weekend with a flash bracket on the KS-2 and it did pretty well.
Good to see someone having both K-3 and K-S II.
I am thinking of buying the K-S2 but the Prices of K-3 and K-3 II have gone pretty low, so I wanted to ask you how badly would you miss the K-3 if you went out only with the K-S2 ??

The lack of Articulating screen is one point which is holding me against the K-3, I really think such an advanced camera must have atleast some sort of screen Tilting mechanism. I am very used to articulating screens.
02-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep thinking how it would be nice to have a second k mount digital body, the K-S2 is extremely tempting... but bodies are expensive so I keep putting it off!
02-06-2016, 11:10 PM   #103

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I keep thinking how it would be nice to have a second k mount digital body, the K-S2 is extremely tempting... but bodies are expensive so I keep putting it off!
I dont see much use having both K-3 and K-S2, my strategy is to have a lighter APSC which I could take anywhere, hiking, travelling casual photography, occasions etc i.e. photography involving long duration and one which wont break my back & would let me enjoy the occasion than just concentrate on Photography.

and then have a full frame like the upcoming K-1 for serious photography, especially night and astro which would involve tripod and other setup.

This way I am covering a much larger range of photographic capability a photography system could offer.

I could then choose the right one depending on the situation. The K-3 sits between the K-S2 and K-1 and if I wont be wrong then it would be more nearer to K-S2 than K-1.

Having both K-3 and K-S2 you still wont satisfy the need for a full frame, but if you've got the K-S2 and K-1, then the K-3 wont be used much IMHO.
02-07-2016, 03:11 AM   #104

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
its human nature to blame your equipment for jamming than yourself...
If you do not follow the proper procedure for retracting the lens you can end up jamming it, also when your in a rush to get the shot sometimes you forget to press the little button when you have the lens retracted.

This is not really a problem if this is the only lens you use as you will remember its quirks but if your switching a lot you will now and then accidentally jam the lens or forget the little button.

because this lens feels like its fragile you think applying any real pressure to get it unstuck might break it. of course you get over that real quickly if its the only lens you own and the procedure to fix it is to twist it back to the 18mm mark
02-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
Good to see someone having both K-3 and K-S II.
I am thinking of buying the K-S2 but the Prices of K-3 and K-3 II have gone pretty low, so I wanted to ask you how badly would you miss the K-3 if you went out only with the K-S2 ??

The lack of Articulating screen is one point which is holding me against the K-3, I really think such an advanced camera must have atleast some sort of screen Tilting mechanism. I am very used to articulating screens.
I probably wouldn't miss the K-3 that much most of the time but I also have a 645D that I use for portraits and landscapes. If I didn't I'd probably be using the K-3 for those kinds of shoots like I used to before getting the D. With a flash mounted the K-3 and grip feels pretty good and I like that combo for commercial applications.

But as a hobbyist walk around or adventure camera the KS-2 is the one I grab. It fits in my ski jacket pocket or backpack easier.

If/when I get a K-1 it will most likely replace the K-3 like the KS-2 is replacing my old K-5 as the smaller daily driver.