Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I keep thinking how it would be nice to have a second k mount digital body, the K-S2 is extremely tempting... but bodies are expensive so I keep putting it off!
That tends to be the issue. Especially once you have a K-3. I want a good second body and the K-S2 looks like it would ba amazing for macro, with that back screen, but I have no long ƒ2.8 glass. So K-S2 or save for a 200 ƒ2.8? right now I'm saving.

The K-S2 will make some things easier, the 200 ƒ2.8 will make some things possible.

Last edited by normhead; 02-07-2016 at 10:57 AM.
02-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #107
Forum Member

Thank you normhead for saying what I often do myself. The gearheads forget that gear is supposed to be used, not compared to excruciating details. I remember when the Minolta A1 I had died with its DR of 14:1, the newer A2 only had 12. Did I ever notice that loss? No. People on the printer forums go on comparing this ink or printer or the other one. But, I ask you, have you ever gone into an art gallery and found the same image printed on Paper/Ink 1 and Paper/Ink2 side by side? Of course not. Short of real defect, our brains compensate for a lot.
02-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That tends to be the issue. Especially once you have a K-3. I want a good second body and the K-S2 looks like it would ba amazing for macro, with that back screen, but I have no long ƒ2.8 glass. So K-S2 or save for a 200 ƒ2.8? right now I'm saving.

The K-S2 will make some things easier, the 200 ƒ2.8 will make some things possible.
Or save for 645D in your case?
02-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Or save for 645D in your case?
I think the 645 is going to get put on hold for a while, there's a very real possibility the FF will be a better camera. Is it possible a new 36 MP CMOS might be better than a 5 year old 40 MP CCD? Just FPS and AF speed, the FF should have clear advantage. And there's a possibility I won't get anything this year. We've had a lot of un-expected expenses. Anyway, the tax returns for this year is pretty much shot, and I have a bit of money in the lens accounts, but not enough for a 645D, 150-450, or 70-200, but maybe, if I can sell a little bit more stuff, and the Canadian dollar rebounds, I can get close to a DA* 200 ƒ2.8, and almost certainly a K-S2 if I decide to go that way.You gotta prioritize. Especially once you retire.

02-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #110
Veteran Member

You're right, it's quite possible that the 35mm camera will be better than the 645D. Well the 200/2.8 is around 1000 right now in Canada new, a little cheaper than the 645D would be. Thinking about it, the 35mm camera will probably be the same cost as a used 645D for us Canadians and if it offers similar quality you already have a lot of directly compatible lenses. Isn't it annoying with the low CAD right now?
02-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #111
Pentaxian

The thing is, the DA 200 will work on many cameras, and if I have to wait until next year's tax return, the FF will have started to drop in price. The DR of the K-S2, isn't all that good, I'd be selling the K-5 to get the K-S2, and that selling 14.1 EV DR for 12.9 EV. So in some ways keeping the K-5 makes more sense, especially since I already gave up .7 EV getting the K-3.

The more you think about these things , the more complicated they get.
02-07-2016, 03:26 PM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I think the 645 is going to get put on hold for a while, there's a very real possibility the FF will be a better camera. Is it possible a new 36 MP CMOS might be better than a 5 year old 40 MP CCD? Just FPS and AF speed, the FF should have clear advantage. And there's a possibility I won't get anything this year. We've had a lot of un-expected expenses. Anyway, the tax returns for this year is pretty much shot, and I have a bit of money in the lens accounts, but not enough for a 645D, 150-450, or 70-200, but maybe, if I can sell a little bit more stuff, and the Canadian dollar rebounds, I can get close to a DA* 200 ƒ2.8, and almost certainly a K-S2 if I decide to go that way.You gotta prioritize. Especially once you retire.
I'm not sure it's easy to write off the 645, they're different systems, I think the best you can do is figure out which objective measures mean more to you and go with that. The new FF will likely be way faster and lighter, but there's something about MF glass in some situations. I think the new FF will be a great all around good camera.

02-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #113
Pentaxian

I'm still going to pick up a 645D at some point, I'm sure. It may just be a couple of years off this point. Prices fall, but my tax return is always the same.
02-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I made my decision to buy lenses while they're available at these prices. I'll have to wait a year to buy the FF.
02-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
But as a hobbyist walk around or adventure camera the KS-2 is the one I grab. It fits in my ski jacket pocket or backpack easier.
Either your jacket has bigger pockets or it's warmer in Colorado. I brought my K-30 and 18-135 to the hill at Marmot (Jasper National Park) over New Year's 2014 and it was a disaster. I wear glasses under my goggles and I got real tired of waiting for everything to un-fog, unzip to get the camera and lens out and then try to keep up with my skiing partners after taking pictures. New Year's 2015 at Lake Louise was so bitterly cold my wife's point & shoot wasn't working, meaning no hill shots. This year we have decided to wait until Easter for some spring skiing, but I find a DSLR and lens to be extremely awkward on the hill. Maybe I should switch to cross-country.
02-07-2016, 05:24 PM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Either your jacket has bigger pockets or it's warmer in Colorado. I brought my K-30 and 18-135 to the hill at Marmot (Jasper National Park) over New Year's 2014 and it was a disaster. I wear glasses under my goggles and I got real tired of waiting for everything to un-fog, unzip to get the camera and lens out and then try to keep up with my skiing partners after taking pictures. New Year's 2015 at Lake Louise was so bitterly cold my wife's point & shoot wasn't working, meaning no hill shots. This year we have decided to wait until Easter for some spring skiing, but I find a DSLR and lens to be extremely awkward on the hill. Maybe I should switch to cross-country.
It's probably drier here. I also shop for ski jackets based on camera capacity. My Patagonie Employee Jacket has tons of cargo space. I keep the camera in a big outside pocket for quick access.
Had it out today with the KS-2 & 18-135 with my son and his friend.

02-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
It's probably drier here. I also shop for ski jackets based on camera capacity. My Patagonie Employee Jacket has tons of cargo space. I keep the camera in a big outside pocket for quick access.
Had it out today with the KS-2 & 18-135 with my son and his friend.

I keep my camera out of my jacket and in a small bag instead... keeps the temp constant, no condensation! At best keep it in an outer pocket, less temp change.

Part of my interest in getting a second WR pentax camera that's a bit cheaper than the K3 is to really treat it like a WR camera... attach it to my peak design clip and go everywhere with it... skiing, mountain biking, etc. I go mountain biking with the k3, but skiing I worry about it more for some reason.
02-07-2016, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #118
Veteran Member

I've just bought a K-S2 for my colleague. I have now Pentaxified (TM) more than 20 people to The Dark Side!
02-07-2016, 07:20 PM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
its human nature to blame your equipment for jamming than yourself...
If you do not follow the proper procedure for retracting the lens you can end up jamming it, also when your in a rush to get the shot sometimes you forget to press the little button when you have the lens retracted.

This is not really a problem if this is the only lens you use as you will remember its quirks but if your switching a lot you will now and then accidentally jam the lens or forget the little button.

because this lens feels like its fragile you think applying any real pressure to get it unstuck might break it. of course you get over that real quickly if its the only lens you own and the procedure to fix it is to twist it back to the 18mm mark
I bought this lens used as I did not have a WR lens and liked the idea of its compact size so it would be with me. I find it hard to extract with gloves on and I have to think about it when I have not used it for a little while. In both situations it requires me to do something with thinking, I do agree with you. It is a small price to pay for the advantage of its short length, if that is not advantageous to one than the 18-55 might be a better choice.
02-08-2016, 01:13 AM   #120

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
if that is not advantageous to one than the 18-55 might be a better choice.
optically i think its better than the 18-55, and collapsible\retractile lenses do look awesome so consider it a good buy
and like most things its only becomes a problem if you dont use it.