Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2015, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #1

Fixed a wifi issue, want to share how i did it.

I was using the wifi application to take pictures while the k-s2 camera was on a tripod. The idea was to use the phone as a remote trigger.

I had a problem, the Image Sync app could not reach the camera. I discovered that although the phone was connected to the camera, it had a little "!' on the wifi symbol. In the latest android lollipop OS (android 5.02) I think that means the phone can not reach Google Services. This is obvious, since the camera is acting as a router which is not connected to the internet.

I think this is what happens, when the phone knows the connection is limited, it redirects all traffic away from the k-s2 network and instead tries to route it to the cellular data network.

So using that logic I disabled the data celular network on the phone and kept the camera wifi connected. The app worked fine, as expected, no problems whatsoever.

If any of you are having this problem maybe you can try this fix.

07-28-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by abe Quote
I was using the wifi application to take pictures while the k-s2 camera was on a tripod. The idea was to use the phone as a remote trigger.

I had a problem, the Image Sync app could not reach the camera. I discovered that although the phone was connected to the camera, it had a little "!' on the wifi symbol. In the latest android lollipop OS (android 5.02) I think that means the phone can not reach Google Services. This is obvious, since the camera is acting as a router which is not connected to the internet.

I think this is what happens, when the phone knows the connection is limited, it redirects all traffic away from the k-s2 network and instead tries to route it to the cellular data network.

So using that logic I disabled the data celular network on the phone and kept the camera wifi connected. The app worked fine, as expected, no problems whatsoever.

If any of you are having this problem maybe you can try this fix.
Thanks for sharing your findings! I have a Toshiba FlashAir II card (sometimes in my K-01, sometimes in the K-5II - just for fast transfer of the lowres jpg-s to the web) and I saw the exclamation mark near the wifi symbol on my phone. Next time when I'm using it, I will try your solution.
07-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can hardly connect via android. This might help.
08-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #4

this is unrelated to the S-K2's wifi but is caused by the device that has the 'Image Sync' application installed, e.g. a smart phone or tablet, and a deficiency in Image Sync. When the device has connection to the mobile telephone network and data communication has been enabled in the Mobile Networks settings menu, the mobile network will be the default gateway for IP communications, even when data communication via wifi or bluetooth is also possible. The phone or tablet hasn't been told where to send its data and assumes the default: mobile network.
The telephone's operating system would allow an application like Image Sync to not use the mobile network gateway but rather exclusively be routed to the wifi interface of the phone. A simple routing setting on the underlying Linux level would accomplish that. But it appears that the makers of Image Sync have not (yet) thought of adding that aspect to the app.
So, until that has been fixed, there is only the option to disable 'data via the mobile network' on the device that has Image Sync on it. The device's OperatingSystem will then assume the wifi interface to be the default gateway as mostly that gets preference over bluetooth connections that may also exist.
So it is not necessary to disable the cellular network altogether, i.e. for phone calls, but the data service over it needs disabling until a future version of ImageSync will have taken care of it only choosing the wifi interface.

08-10-2015, 02:24 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wwortel Quote
this is unrelated to the S-K2's wifi but is caused by the device that has the 'Image Sync' application installed, e.g. a smart phone or tablet, and a deficiency in Image Sync. When the device has connection to the mobile telephone network and data communication has been enabled in the Mobile Networks settings menu, the mobile network will be the default gateway for IP communications, even when data communication via wifi or bluetooth is also possible. The phone or tablet hasn't been told where to send its data and assumes the default: mobile network.
The telephone's operating system would allow an application like Image Sync to not use the mobile network gateway but rather exclusively be routed to the wifi interface of the phone. A simple routing setting on the underlying Linux level would accomplish that. But it appears that the makers of Image Sync have not (yet) thought of adding that aspect to the app.
So, until that has been fixed, there is only the option to disable 'data via the mobile network' on the device that has Image Sync on it. The device's OperatingSystem will then assume the wifi interface to be the default gateway as mostly that gets preference over bluetooth connections that may also exist.
So it is not necessary to disable the cellular network altogether, i.e. for phone calls, but the data service over it needs disabling until a future version of ImageSync will have taken care of it only choosing the wifi interface.
I have a Galaxy S4 and I didn't need to disable the data service for Image Sync to work. In fact, I didn't need to change any settings at all.

Sounds like Image Sync has some compatibility issues on different devices, though. They need to iron them out.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-11-2015, 06:22 AM   #6
abe

Original Poster
I also think the problem is in the app that under some software environments fails to reach the wifi network.

wwortels clarification is important, you only have to disable data, not the phone network.

This happens to me in a lollipop android phone, more precisely a One Plus One.
10-05-2015, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #7

Photos: Albums
YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!!

Hahahahah I even called customer support on Ricoh and they weren“t able to help. But your solution worked on my iPhone.

THANK YOU!

Last edited by Bringass; 10-05-2015 at 08:19 AM.