Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #1

K-S2 Forum Review - Lens Weight and Size Query

In the Pentax Forums Review (see below) in its conclusion it states "Pentax users are accustomed to large and comfortable grips, and the K-S2's grip (it) has is so small that it is outright hard to hold with medium and large lenses."

What is the / your definition of "medium" and "large" lenses in terms of physical size and weight? By the way I have tried it with an 18-135 Zoom which is circa 454 grms or 1 lb and it seems to feel OK.

08-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

From the part of the review on construction/handling, I would guess that it breaks down like this, at least as far as weight is concerned (not taking into account filter size / length)

small: 18-55/50 kit lens, DA 10-17, and most compact prime lenses

medium: any lens greater than 400 grams but less than 550 grams, like DA 18-135, DA 16-85, DA*55, DA 12-24, DA 55-300

large: more than 550 grams, like DA* 16-50, 50-135, 60-250, etc.

As the review stated:

"In the field, we noticed that any lens heavier than the kit lens places a sizable strain on your wrist when used with the K-S2 compared to the K-50. The DA 18-135mm (429g) is a good example of a lens that causes discomfort."

Read more at: Pentax K-S2 Review - Construction and Handling | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I guess to each his own. You may feel the 18-135 is okay with the K-S2 grip but have you tried to one-hand it? And you may be stronger than the reviewer!
08-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
abe

I think a big lens is the Pentax 16-85 for example. I tried both the k-3 and the k-s2 with this "bigger" lens before buying.

TBH for me the difference was not that noticeable, specially since my left hand is always below the camera and lens keeping everything stable. My right hand balances the weight. In fact I like my right hand to be doing the less amount of force possible.
08-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
small: 18-55/50 kit lens, DA 10-17, and most compact prime lenses medium: any lens greater than 400 grams but less than 550 grams, like DA 18-135, DA 16-85, DA*55, DA 12-24, DA 55-300 large: more than 550 grams, like DA* 16-50, 50-135, 60-250, etc.
I think you're spot on with this breakdown.

QuoteOriginally posted by abe Quote
I think a big lens is the Pentax 16-85 for example. I tried both the k-3 and the k-s2 with this "bigger" lens before buying.
I wouldn't consider the 16-85mm to be a large lens, but it's already a bit on the heavy side for the K-S2's grip. The K-S2's grip just doesn't offer enough space for you to rest your fingers comfortably and you start feeling it after prolonged use.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-03-2015, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I've found any discussion of grips and comfort has to be taken with a large grain of "your mileage may vary". I haven't handled the K-S2, but my limit is 500g for the K-01 and K-S1, which have much smaller, unconventional grips. I've routinely used the 18-135 and 55-300 on the K-S1 with only a wrist cord. I personally found the K-r to be much more comfortable than the K-30, and I think the K-S2's grip is shaped more like the K-r. Shooting style will also have a lot to do with it. Someone who is more accustomed to manual-focus SLRs and supporting the weight with the left hand will probably be more comfortable with a smaller grip.
08-03-2015, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't understand.

Best technique is to bear the weight of a camera and lens from underneath with the left hand, thumb and middle finger focusing, elbow pointing straight down at the ground, not in the face of the person standing next to you.

With the eye socket pressed against the body you should be able to remove your right hand at any stage without anything moving. ☺

Those fingers should be free to turn dials and press buttons without looking away from the subject, instead of death-gripping the RHS of the camera.

Last edited by clackers; 08-03-2015 at 03:12 PM.
08-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm 6' 4" and weigh 250, my hands are average, not large, not small.
The grip on my K-S2 is not as deep as on my K-5, but much deeper than on my K-01.
I have no problem shooting with any of these cameras, whether using a large, medium, or small lens.
But then again, I'm not a pro doing photo shoots, or a camera tester.
Like THoog said, YMMV.
08-04-2015, 08:00 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I guess to each his own. You may feel the 18-135 is okay with the K-S2 grip but have you tried to one-hand it? And you may be stronger than the reviewer!
Thanks to all who have contributed. There seems to be a general consensus of opinion. Feelings however appear to vary with 18-135 depending on wrist strength and method of holding a camera plus lens. Personally I very rarely photograph one handed, so I tried it…..and yes I did find the 18-135 on a K-S2 a bit difficult with my grip and wrist strength.

Cheers,

LoneWolf

08-04-2015, 05:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Each person is different. I don't have a K-S2 yet, (still trying to decide between it and a K-3) but actual shooting I use my left had to support the camera & lens as others have described. But when walking around I use a wrist strap to carry the camera & lens in my right hand. I do not use a neck strap. If I need to put the camera away it goes into the bag. So for people like me it's how comfortable the grip is to hold with a strap while walking. I am thinking about getting a chest holster to carry the camera in.
08-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
Each person is different. I don't have a K-S2 yet, (still trying to decide between it and a K-3) but actual shooting I use my left had to support the camera & lens as others have described. But when walking around I use a wrist strap to carry the camera & lens in my right hand. I do not use a neck strap. If I need to put the camera away it goes into the bag. So for people like me it's how comfortable the grip is to hold with a strap while walking. I am thinking about getting a chest holster to carry the camera in.

Yeah, there's a difference between shooting with it and carrying it.

A deep grip can be handy for casual holding below the waist with a straight arm.

But you can't do that for long. I have various wrist and shoulder straps that screw into the tripod mount for that, as well as a slingbag for other occasions.
08-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, there's a difference between shooting with it and carrying it.

A deep grip can be handy for casual holding below the waist with a straight arm.

But you can't do that for long. I have various wrist and shoulder straps that screw into the tripod mount for that, as well as a slingbag for other occasions.
My tripod mount is not available for that, I keep a mounting plate attached to the camera body. I have the same plate attached to the 70-200.
08-05-2015, 03:32 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
My tripod mount is not available for that, I keep a mounting plate attached to the camera body. I have the same plate attached to the 70-200.
Well, that's even better, Wingincamera!
08-06-2015, 10:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my forearm ached after one armed handling with Sigma 18-35.
08-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #14
smf
Loyal Site Supporter

Regarding carrying a camera, with a K-x I have been happy with a product similar to the one shown in the link below:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/eagle-optics-binocular-straps.html

I suggest clicking on the option allowing you to see how the harness appears on the wearer's back. This is not the customary neck strap.

I used electric tape or a silimar product to further secure the straps' plastic clamps to the rings which are attached to the camera.

Last edited by smf; 10-06-2015 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Change URL and add information
08-16-2015, 05:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I find the K-S2 to be very comfortable with the DA 17-70 f/4 lens, feeling more secure, steady and nicer to hold compared with - for example - the Pentax K-x. With the 17-70 on the K-x, it feels like a lens with a camera attached. Very strange feeling... I also tried the F100-300 on the K-S2 and this is a long and a bit heavy lens and yes it works splendid too when handholding. No problem.