Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2015, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-S2 Review

Our in-depth review of the Pentax K-S2 is now live!

Pentax K-S2 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-04-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a great, thorough review for a very attractive camera. Thanks for all the hard work.

I was wondering which Sigma 70-300 was used for the chicken pic. It seemed quite sharp and all the reviews I've seen for the Sigma 70-300 have been 'meh'
08-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One thing I was interested to hear about was the flash delay. Does the K-S2 have the same delayed flash response as the K-3?
12-02-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
Forum Member

Thank you very much for this. I read it before finally choosing the K-S2 in October and I'm still occasionally referring to this for assistance with the various settings.

12-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #5

Excellent review

This review is one of the better ones that I have read on the net. Very informative!! Well done!
02-01-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
Forum Member

Before buying my K-S2, I looked at reviews on the major sites. Of course. And now I'm rereading them to better understand this amazing tool.

I do believe there is an error in the reporting of the Clarity Enhancement option. Adam likens it to a Dmin bump, which is actually another setting option. (And with the corresponding Dmax reduction, should result in a nice "S curve" levels.)

Anyway, I'm positive by both the manual's description and logical deduction that Clarity Enhancement has nothing to do with levels, but with micro contrast in the image. The concept is nothing new, certain film and developers gave heightened micro contrast due to edge effects at very fine, almost granular frequencies.

In digital processing it is presented in different programs under different names, or even no name at all, just built into the "Auto Fix" types of controls. Or lack, thereof. I discovered it in Canon's My Image Garden, a decidedly, um, unprofessional program. But it's there because if you have a picture that is, say, well exposed in the background, but the subject matter is in shade, it can pop the foreground up to normal levels w/o touching the background. This is not a curves or gamma adjustment, which I'm quite familiar with and their looks.

Anyway, didn't mean to ramble. And if I'm wrong about any of this, please tell me.
02-06-2016, 12:09 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulvzo Quote
I do believe there is an error in the reporting of the Clarity Enhancement option. Adam likens it to a Dmin bump, which is actually another setting option. (And with the corresponding Dmax reduction, should result in a nice "S curve" levels.)
Could you point out where you saw the error? It's been a while since we posted the review, but I believe clarity enhancement was compared to something like Photoshop's auto levels. I seem to recall we also said that it tends to clip shadows a bit more than we'd like.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-06-2016, 06:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adam, do you know whether the K-S2 has similar flash delay to the K-3?
02-07-2016, 08:42 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Could you point out where you saw the error? It's been a while since we posted the review, but I believe clarity enhancement was compared to something like Photoshop's auto levels. I seem to recall we also said that it tends to clip shadows a bit more than we'd like.
Since the reviews here are page after page and not all on one page, I'm not prone to wanting to locate it. But it's there. It definitely isn't an autolevel function, which the camera does provide in settings.
02-07-2016, 10:04 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulvzo Quote
It definitely isn't an autolevel function, which the camera does provide in settings
It does?

Adam

08-19-2016, 07:57 AM   #11

K-S2

Hi guys, apologies for not posting earlier on, a great forum, I have been busy reading some of the many useful bits of information on the forum especially the review on the K-S2 which I found very thorough and informative, I have been a Pentax user and enthusiast for the best part of 40 years, and have an MX, ME Super and my beloved LX, which I consider to be a jewel of a camera.
I have used digital cameras before but not an Pentax or indeed a DSLR at that, and have recently decided to purchase a K-S2, I am waiting for it to be delivered so busy reading etc very excited, I did debate between it and K-50, but finally decided to go the K-S2 way, please convince me I chose well.
08-19-2016, 07:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zappas Quote
Hi guys, apologies for not posting earlier on, a great forum, I have been busy reading some of the many useful bits of information on the forum especially the review on the K-S2 which I found very thorough and informative, I have been a Pentax user and enthusiast for the best part of 40 years, and have an MX, ME Super and my beloved LX, which I consider to be a jewel of a camera.
I have used digital cameras before but not an Pentax or indeed a DSLR at that, and have recently decided to purchase a K-S2, I am waiting for it to be delivered so busy reading etc very excited, I did debate between it and K-50, but finally decided to go the K-S2 way, please convince me I chose well.
I can't vouch for the K-50, but I love my K-S2 and I'm sure you will too.
I went from a K-10D to a K-5 to the K-S2 and each has been progressively better.
Welcome to the forum!
09-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zappas Quote
You will love the KS2 it is a great camera. Very functional. My only issue is it is a little heavy but I deal with that because of the beautiful pictures it takes!
09-09-2016, 10:07 AM   #14

I've had my Ks-2 for about a year now (first dslr), and I still am very please with it. Its a tough piece work, it went down with me when as I went to help break up a fight (on concrete), and fell from the roof of my VW Golf when came to a stop after driving with it up there for half a dozen blocks. She mostly gets used for daytime shots of my adventures with my daughter, and night shots on a tripod, I do my best to avoid going above iso 400.
01-04-2017, 07:37 PM   #15

Just bought, Love it!

Just got the ks2

Learning the ropes, but excited to learn more.